Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
March 1 2011 BOM Old Red Barn Pictures >

March 1 2011 BOM Old Red Barn Pictures

March 1 2011 BOM Old Red Barn Pictures

Old 03-23-2011, 06:53 AM

So...why the old RED barn? Just in case anyone was wondering, I looked it up. Centuries ago, European farmers would seal the wood on their barns with an oil, often linseed oil -- a tawny-colored oil derived from the seed of the flax plant. They would paint their barns with a linseed-oil mixture, often consisting of additions such as milk and lime. The combination produced a long-lasting paint that dried and hardened quickly. They also added ferrous oxide, otherwise known as rust, to the oil mixture. Rust was plentiful on farms and is a poison to many fungi, including mold and moss, which were known to grown on barns.

As European settlers crossed over to America, they brought with them the tradition of red barns. In the mid to late 1800s, as paints began to be produced with chemical pigments, red paint was the most inexpensive to buy. Red was the color of favor until whitewash became cheaper, at which point white barns began to spring up. Today, the color of barns can vary, often depending on how the barns are used. (from Answers.com)

Aren't we lucky we don't have to be limited by tradition.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:10 AM

Thanks whitepine for the compliment and the info (history lesson). Learned something new today.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by whitepine
So...why the old RED barn?... Aren't we lucky we don't have to be limited by tradition.
Just another reason I love this board. Such great people with all this info..and if they don't have it...they find it. Thanks for my morning smile.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:49 AM

So...why the old RED barn? Just in case anyone was wondering, I looked it up. Centuries ago, European farmers would seal the wood on their barns with an oil, often linseed oil -- a tawny-colored oil derived from the seed of the flax plant. They would paint their barns with a linseed-oil mixture, often consisting of additions such as milk and lime. The combination produced a long-lasting paint that dried and hardened quickly. They also added ferrous oxide, otherwise known as rust, to the oil mixture. Rust was plentiful on farms and is a poison to many fungi, including mold and moss, which were known to grown on barns.

As European settlers crossed over to America, they brought with them the tradition of red barns. In the mid to late 1800s, as paints began to be produced with chemical pigments, red paint was the most inexpensive to buy. Red was the color of favor until whitewash became cheaper, at which point white barns began to spring up. Today, the color of barns can vary, often depending on how the barns are used. (from Answers.com)

Thank you so much for this great history lesson!! :thumbup: It is always so nice to learn just how a tradition started itself.
:D :D :D :D
Old 03-23-2011, 11:08 AM

So interesting. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:24 PM

I love the history lesson! Thank you Whitepine!!!

Now, could we see some more barns to drool over? LOL!
Old 03-25-2011, 08:00 AM

I really am slow this month.
the basement where my machine is located has been so darn cold I could not work there. I finally finished the red barn. Loved working on it. I truly thought I would never want to paper piece after the farm house but this one changed my mind. Here is picture
Attached Thumbnails attachment-174659.jpe  
Old 03-25-2011, 08:35 AM

It turned out very good! Hope it warms up in MI soon.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:40 PM

Francesrose, your barn is awesome!
Old 03-25-2011, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by francesrose
I really am slow this month.
the basement where my machine is located has been so darn cold I could not work there. I finally finished the red barn. Loved working on it. I truly thought I would never want to paper piece after the farm house but this one changed my mind. Here is picture
What a fun farm :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Very good job :) :) :)