Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Mystery Quilt Train Ride, Jan 7th >

Mystery Quilt Train Ride, Jan 7th

Mystery Quilt Train Ride, Jan 7th

Old 01-12-2017, 07:14 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]565490[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]565491[/ATTACH]
Originally Posted by lawsonmugs View Post
It says 100% cotton. No extras. It's extremely soft. That's why I want to use it for the baby quilt. I bought it on clearance at wal-mart. I knew I wasn't going to use it for anything I put it in the microwave. I just don't trust that,no matter what it says. But it looks so soft and is thin enough for the quilt. I trust you ladies more than the label that's why I ask. Thanks Judy for the reply. Hope more will give their opinions. .
Mary, you don't know what you are missing if you have never made/used any microwave bowl cozies. I have made and used them for years and they are great for hot items like chili, but also great if you want to take a bowl of ice cream with you to your fav chair (saves frozen fingers.) They are 100% safe in the micro as long as they are made with 100% cotton batting without any scrim. Please reconsider and try them. Like I said, I use mine more often than pot holders and they are not only convenient they are safer than trying to use pot holders to remove hot stuff from the micro. Its a win-win item. And... they are fun to make and can be made using whatever fun fabrics you choose. (Make great gifts, too.) I make them in all sizes, and sometimes use two fabrics so they are reversible.
Attached Thumbnails bowl-cozies-set.jpg   bowl-cozies-stack.jpg  
Old 01-12-2017, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Tomara View Post
help!! not sure which one to use? A, B or C ? still learning color value, Hoping to have a fun ride with you all.
A) blue, red and white
b) hunter green, gold, gold print
C) peach, rose, and green paisley with those colors in it
I vote for A or C. Not enough contrast with the two golds in set B.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:08 AM
Power Poster

Jan thanks for the info. I have made the micro bowl holders. I just quit putting them in the microwave. I slide the bowl in after it's heated. I do love them. I did go ahead and make the quilt using the 100 % cotton batting. I paid only $4 a bag for it and bought both bags they had. It says right on the bag it is for the bowl holders even a pattern on the back. No scrim in it. I think Judy misunderstood my first posting. I know insul brite has the metallic fibers so not to use it. I love the fabric yours are made out of. Very cute. I made one with cambells soup cans on it. Old fabric from maybe 4 yrs ago. I only had a small piece so it worked out good. Thanks again and I always appreciate peoples input and taking the time to try to help out, when I have a question. There are sure a lot of pretty fabrics.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:17 AM

You're welcome, Mary. I don't have anything orange in my kitchen, but fell in love with that fabric, so I purchased a yard on etsy. Don't be afraid to use them in the micro. No different than heating the rice bags in the micro. Have done both for years and never any problems.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

Jan this is the quilt. I had fun with my new machine. It has 80 fancy stitches and does so much more than my old ones. I also never did the quilt as you go. So I had fun learning. My borders between the blocks are somewhat crooked though. I also noticed after it was all done I put the sleeping ladybug in not laying down but sideways. It was for my grand daughter she said it makes it perfect. She's so sweet. She's expecting another girl in may. I do heat my rice bag all the time and have for over 3 yrs. I never leave my micro unattended when it's going. I can create enough trouble without leaving something cooking alone. lol. Have a great day.
Attached Thumbnails dsc03497.jpg  
Old 01-12-2017, 09:39 AM

Your quilt is absolutely adorable. I like the way the lady bug is turned. So cute! Great job.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:04 AM
Power Poster

Thank You. Have a good day.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:17 PM
Power Poster

Mary, it's adorable. i didn't notice the ladybug till you mentioned it.
Such a cute quilt. i love it.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:09 PM
Power Poster

I didn't know what she was having until after I started it. Then I added more girlie looking blocks.It took me several months off and on. Plus holidays and what not. I have.nt done much applique on the machine and the hem stitch on the new machine was fun. I need more practice on it though.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:01 AM

I signed up for this mystery quilt train but am not receiving any clues. Can anyone tell my why? Thanks.