Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 31 of 62 FirstFirst ... 21 30 31 32 41 ... LastLast

Thread: A New Mystery Quilt Train Ride! Hop on-board anytime

Blog Entries
    cindy-- i won't push my rhubarb off on you, and you'll understand why i don't have any banana bread. lol. i like bananas but they don't like me.

thanks about the fish. it wasn't hard to make, once i started playing with the fabric. the pattern is the inside batting! lol !!

i'll go buy some frozen lemonade and add the juice to it. that should work! last week i was still up when the clue came out. tonight i'm sleeping and i'll see you all around 11, when judy gets up. hope she is feeling better!
    Last edited by nancia; 06-08-2012 at 03:53 PM.
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Oh my goodness, anyone saying they don't like rhubarb, please forgive me but they haven't given it a fair chance
    I haven't had good fresh rhubard since I moved to the southwest, it used to grow in my garden in upstate NY, and we loved strawberry rhubard pie, stewed rhubard with sugar (you+ eat it like applesauce), and all sorts of other goodies! I'm headed to the club car to see if there is anything rhubard left on the table.
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way."
    Juan Ramon Jimenez 1881-1958

Its so fun to see everybody's progress. Amazing how everybody is making the same quilt but how different the quilts will look. Here is my progress:Name:  100_1457.JPG
Views: 376
Size:  1.31 MB

I finally got my step 3 done!! whew! finally caught up. Think i will go have a strawberry tart and a cup of tea. Anyone want to join me? Can't wait for the next step. I like everybody's blocks so far. They are awesome! Kinda makes me wish I'd picked different colours. Here are my blocks so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cad_queen_2000; 06-08-2012 at 07:07 PM.

Blog Entries
    wow...just landed on the deck in the back of the caboose......better than landing on the cow catcher, for sure.
    well last night it rained something fierce and the wind came up and we were running thru tunnels to save signs and some signs had to come down so to survive the weather....and there was another group that was wearing the same green uniform but with gold braid and they seemed really confused about the signs..... but all in all it was such fun and after one last visit to the Wicked Thimble for a bit more ale ......
    and one last stroll thru seeing all the quilts ..... they are beautiful, every one is beautiful....
    but......need to be home for saturday mornings' clue........so said my thank yous and goodbys then asked the fearless leader ...... about getting back to the mystery train.....they said 'dear little ole white haired lady, all you need to do is tap the walking stick (thay gave me a walking stick because the ground in the tunnels was sorta uneven) three times on the ground and you will be back to you grand mystery train".......then they handed me this great bunch of shamrocks to share with all of you....(so sweet of them) I tapped my walking stick and here I am at the caboose with the shamrocks....when I steadied myself with the walking stick it dissapeard......sigh.....so now hurry to the club car to put the shamrocks in water for all to enjoy..........................
    Last edited by SunlitenSmiles; 06-08-2012 at 07:15 PM. Reason: spellig

Blog Entries
    Okay PaintmeJudy............. it's Saturday & I am anxiously waiting for the next clue!! I wanted to let everyone know that I am going to visit my DD this afternoon & won't be home for a week. Hopefully I will be able to check in to see the progress of the next clue's work. I will be printing mine as soon as it is posted. Good Luck everyone & enjoy working on this clue!!
    Hugs....Sulabug
    If you see someone without a SMILE, please give them one of yours!!

Blog Entries
    Have a great visit SulaBug and say Hi to the Darling Daughter from all of us! Tell Her we think she has a Darling Mama !

Sulabug, enjoy your visit with DD. We'll miss you til your return. We'll try & save some goodies in the club car for you!

Have a great visit SulaBug.

Blog Entries
    check list:

pressing fabric
    machine threaded up
    cutting board cleared for action
    rotary cutter at the ready

check, soooooooooooo ready for the next clue !!!!

Blog Entries
    Sunliten, thanks for the reminders of things to do before the next "reveal."
    PAintmeJudy: my gram made stewed rhubarb! We ate it as a dessert. Had no idea folks still made it. YUM!
    SulaBug, enjoy your DD and have safe travels.
    Nancia, someone posted the rhubarb lemonade on the first memory train. Wonder if you did a search for it, if it would show up? Your mug rugs are just the ticket for summer! Very cute.
    CadQueen, your colors look fine. i always 2nd guess color choices, too!

Off to clean the house until the clue comes!!! Enjoy the trip everyone!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

me too Sunliten! ready to rock & roll on the next clue! Sure hope I don't have to teach today so I can get this clue finished!

I have been awake since 2:00AM (CDS), up since 4:00 AM, waiting for today's CLUE! Hope it comes and I can ccomplete it before I go back to sleep!!
    Grandmeto6 aka Judy

I'm not far behind you grandma26! The dog woke me at 3:15! Couldn't go back to sleep, so got up & been playing on computer ever since!

Blog Entries
    Good Morning Ladies I will join you all in the club car for some breakfast while we wait for the clue. Sula have a safe trip and enjoy. Sunliten welcome back from your magical journey Im so glad you didn't land on the cow catcher. However I believe the luck that comes with all them Shamrocks was with you. I wonder if I will find anymore lemon blueberry tarts in the club car?
    Have an awesome day!

Okay, all caught up. This is so fun! I will definitely do this again! Its bright, something I dont do a lot, normally, but I like it! I think I want to use it as a beach/picnic blanket. I may have to add an extra border,though. Im just now getting to where I am using my quilts in every day life. My first couple were so precious to me I didn't want to use them ( even though they were terrible,lol). Now, I want to use them for everything.

I'm wondering if I could use the same fabric D for the sashing (E)? Turn a 5 color quilt into 4? LOL! I didnt have enough of my lemonade to use it as an A or B , but I would like it featured a bit more. Perhaps use it to add an extra border? I do want to use my lime,too,though so probably a border.

Its fun waiting to see! I think I will definitely do more of these.

Here's mine so far. Need to square them still, cut tails, etc. I think I hadnt pressed the last step, either.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stefanib123 View Post
    Okay, all caught up. This is so fun! I will definitely do this again! Its bright, something I dont do a lot, normally, but I like it! I think I want to use it as a beach/picnic blanket. I may have to add an extra border,though. Im just now getting to where I am using my quilts in every day life. My first couple were so precious to me I didn't want to use them ( even though they were terrible,lol). Now, I want to use them for everything.

I'm wondering if I could use the same fabric D for the sashing (E)? Turn a 5 color quilt into 4? LOL! I didnt have enough of my lemonade to use it as an A or B , but I would like it featured a bit more. Perhaps use it to add an extra border? I do want to use my lime,too,though so probably a border.

Its fun waiting to see! I think I will definitely do more of these.

Here's mine so far. Need to square them still, cut tails, etc. I think I hadnt pressed the last step, either.
    I love your fabrics... the lemon fabric looks wonderfully fun.
    Have an awesome day!

Blog Entries

really interesting to see what will happen with fabric 'D'.......it could be a really great design for a childs quilt when you only have a bit of a great fabric.

I am sooooooooooooooooooooooo ready for the next clue

Blog Entries
    well here we sit in the club car waiting for next clue, need more coffee
    esther

My husband looooves rhubarb! There a big patch down the mountain we harvest ever year.

Sula, have fun on your visit.

Cadqueen, I love your colorss. I second guess,too,though. By the time the quilt is together, I usually realize my first choice was the right one.

Sunliten, thank you for the lucky shamrock. It already brought me luck! My plans for the day were cancelled, now I can quilt!

JennieG, a peach would reallly set it off. I love those patterns,too.

Chester, I bookmarked yours, I definitely have to use that color combo soon!

Coopah, your blocks are beautiful. Is the coral color red or pinky? Its hard to tell on my screen. I love how it 'works' the other colors. another one bookmarked!

I love seeing everyone's different color combos. Its so interesting how we each have a whole different look, a different feel. Cant wait see them all done!

Step 4

And here we go, ready or not!

FIVE-COLOR QUILT
    Cut one WOF strip each of A, B, C, and D fabrics, each measuring 4-½” wide. Cut 12 pieces measuring 2-½” x 4-½” from EACH of the four A B C and D fabrics.

Arrange 12 of the strips in a color placement pleasing to you. Colors do not have to be in order of ABCD, but it would be best to use your background color in one of the inside positions. (My background is in the #3 position) Piece together along the 4-½” side using Ό” seams.

Picture, top to bottom shows:
    the 8 extra background pieces
    12 strips sewn together
    the 2 background pieces sewn to each end of the strip made from the 12 pieces

Now you will need an additional eight rectangles of the background fabric measuring 2-½” x 4-½” wide. (You should have already cut and set aside 4 of these from the step 3 - I had you cut eight pieces when you only needed four.)

Sew one of these background rectangles to each side of the 12-piece strip you just made. Press.
    Make three more identical sections like this, for a a total of 4 strips each having 14 rectangles.

SCRAPPY Option:
    So sorry -- I forgot to take a picture of this step before I sewed it into the quilt top. I think you can see what I did by looking at the picture

Using scraps:
    Cut 48 pieces 2-½” x 4-½” of your scraps. Cut eight 2-½” x 4-½” of the background color.

Lay out 12 of the scrappy rectangles in a manner pleasing to your eye, . Sew along the 4-½” side with Ό” seams. At each end of this strip, place a background rectangle. Press. You will have 14 pieces in this section.

Make three more sections like this, mixing up the order of your strip placement to avoid duplicate fabric placement. Make it random.

Using charm squares:
    Take the leftover charms and cut to 2-½” wide, sew 12 strips together along the 5" side, press and trim the strip to 4-½” wide. If you don’t have enough of the charm packs left, cut 2-½” x 5” pieces from scrap. Press, then trim this piece to 4-½” wide. (Easier to cut the strip to correct width than to have to trim all your individual little charm squares)

Cut 8 background fabric pieces measuring 2-½” x 4-½”. Add a background rectangle to each end and press. You will have 14 pieces of 2-½ x 4-½” pieces sewn together. Make three more identical strips of these sections.
    Last edited by paintmejudy; 06-09-2012 at 07:34 AM.

Yes, coopah, we also ate it as a dessert. And I seem to remember, sometimes I put it over vanilla ice cream. Stewed rhubarb sounds a bit on the strange side, doesn't it? But that's what we called it, too. My mother-in-law was the one who taught me how to make it, so it is a really old dessert - she was born in 1905.

Blog Entries
    thanks Judy, now off to vist daughter for the day
    esther

got it! will post pic in a little while.

Blog Entries

thanks Judy would hug you but I am holding my rotary cutter

glad you are feeling better and stronger !

Page 31 of 62 FirstFirst ... 21 30 31 32 41 ... LastLast