Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Beauty Quilt Along Begins Oct 1st

Quote Originally Posted by sweet View Post
    I would love to join in on this. But I am confused about the fabric selection. Does anyone have an idea of how much yardage, and how many different colors I'd need to gather? Is there 1 fabric that would be more prominent where I would need more of? Thanks.....
    That is a good question. I am not sure how much fabric you will really use since I do mine with about 15-20 different fabrics. If you're keeping to a few fabrics, most of the bigger corner pieces are close to 9 inches across and down but not square so you could flip and get two in approximately 10-12 inch square. Other pieces are about 5 inches in length and can either be narrow or wide...the blocks when completed are 8 1/2 inches and there will be 40 of them maybe 4-5 yards in total? But that is a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by QM View Post
    For anyone considering doing a NYB, TRY IT! I was very leery of this pattern group, but I really love them now that I have tried. My first NYB quilt was immediately grabbed by my DH. These tuts look really good.

These are the two I made most recently, one for my DDiL and one for my doc's nurse practicioner, both wonderful people. One of my next projects will be a NYB purse.
    Nice quilts! Thanks for sharing them with the group! You'll have to make one for ourself now.

Your NYB's are beautiful!!
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Thanks for your reply kristin0112. (Still a tad confused, but that's ok)

Here is something to go by from a NYB sew along I was following. These are 8x8 blocks so adjust what is needed from there. Remember scrappy is ok.

Here are the approximate fabric requirements if you are planning on making all ten 8" x 8" blocks:

- 10 fat eighths for main fabrics (or 5 fat quarters or scrap fabric)
    - 1-1/2 yards background fabric
    Renea

A quilting I will go......

www.somethinginthemaking.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kristen0112 View Post
    That is a good question. I am not sure how much fabric you will really use since I do mine with about 15-20 different fabrics. If you're keeping to a few fabrics, most of the bigger corner pieces are close to 9 inches across and down but not square so you could flip and get two in approximately 10-12 inch square. Other pieces are about 5 inches in length and can either be narrow or wide...the blocks when completed are 8 1/2 inches and there will be 40 of them maybe 4-5 yards in total? But that is a guess.
    I woukld like to join along but I have a question. I understand that the blocks will be 8 1/2 inches but where will get 40 from? There are 10 blocks to start, are there others?
    I am almost finished with a baby quilt for our great grand son and when that is finished then I can start on these. I am really looking forward to it!
    Good Better Best, never let it rest till the good is better and the better best

sunrise-- you will get the 40 blocks from making 4 blocks of each of the ten different patterns~
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Blog Entries
    Some pretty NYB's here! Sounds like you guys are gonna have a great time here!
    Ronda

I would love to be able to do paper piecing. It is one thing I need to learn. So, I clicked on the line for the patterns, found a sample block, printed it out. Ummm it is in a foreign language. Well, guess I need help already. I wanted to try one before I committed to this. Any suggestions for this girl?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariposa View Post
    sunrise-- you will get the 40 blocks from making 4 blocks of each of the ten different patterns~
    Well duh! Sorry, my brain has been over taxed here lately. I used to pp a lot, been awhile though, but I will try one and see how I do. When I finish, I will send a picture if I can figure out "how" to send a picture! LOL

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sustraley View Post
    I would love to be able to do paper piecing. It is one thing I need to learn. So, I clicked on the line for the patterns, found a sample block, printed it out. Ummm it is in a foreign language. Well, guess I need help already. I wanted to try one before I committed to this. Any suggestions for this girl?
    Sustraley, do a search on google, you will get plenty of sites that will teach you how to pp. I think that we have one here in the tutes. Give it a try!

I recommend buying an "Add A Quarter Inch Ruler". I ordered the 6 inch one from connecting threads then ordered the 12 inch one. Here is what it looks like.....
    http://www.connectingthreads.com/Too...r__D81903.HTML

Here is video showing what it is used for...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA-b4SCL2ZU
    Last edited by nygal; 09-06-2012 at 06:13 AM.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Blog Entries
    Find a tutorial on paperpiecing and try that. It's really pretty simple. Here's one from Quilter's Cache: http://www.quilterscache.com/StartQu...tingthree.html

And here's another for a block with some shapes like what are in a NYB: http://www.freshlemonsquilts.com/?ta...ecing-tutorial

It takes a little
    JudyG

We'll be making 4 of each block BUT it's up to you if that is bigger than you want to make your quilt you can always make less...Thanks Mariposa for answering too

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyG View Post
    Find a tutorial on paperpiecing and try that. It's really pretty simple. Here's one from Quilter's Cache: http://www.quilterscache.com/StartQu...tingthree.html

And here's another for a block with some shapes like what are in a NYB: http://www.freshlemonsquilts.com/?ta...ecing-tutorial

It takes a little
    Judy................Thanks for the website's you just posted. I printed a couple templates from the second one & am glad to have them in my library of pattern's!! I just love to paper piece.
    If you see someone without a SMILE, please give them one of yours!!

Sustraley - the links that JudyG and Nygal posted should be really helpful. I think its a great idea to get familar with PP before starting in Oct. Once you feel comfortable with some of the easier patterns here is another site with a bit more complicated PP. If you have any questions please let our group know it sounds like there are plenty who've done PP. I love PP and taught myself.

http://www.caroldoak.com/free-quilt-patterns.php

I am thinking of mixing some batiks with florals on my blocks. I love Edyta Sitar's quilts and she mixes them together. I'm still doing "research" as to what I will do. The research is the fun part to me.

Quote Originally Posted by nygal View Post
    I am thinking of mixing some batiks with florals on my blocks. I love Edyta Sitar's quilts and she mixes them together. I'm still doing "research" as to what I will do. The research is the fun part to me.
    That will be pretty. I've mixed prints with the batiks on is block it worked well! You should try a test block like block 0

Blog Entries
    have printed off the patterns for all 10. Do i have to wait to get started? Actually i do cause i havent finished this applique Panda quilt for niece who is expecting in October. But i will be joining you just as soon as I can. love the NYB but havent gotten to doing a whole quilt of them. Will be another "cross off the bucket list" for me.

Quote Originally Posted by roseirish48 View Post
    have printed off the patterns for all 10. Do i have to wait to get started? Actually i do cause i havent finished this applique Panda quilt for niece who is expecting in October. But i will be joining you just as soon as I can. love the NYB but havent gotten to doing a whole quilt of them. Will be another "cross off the bucket list" for me.
    Welcome! Your panda quilt sounds adorable be sure to show us a picture when you're done:-)

Thanks everyone!!! I knew I could count on my friends here on the board.

Learn to speak German?
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

Quote Originally Posted by SulaBug View Post
    Anael.........I think you have made the right choice, as your Sylvia blocks need to be completed before starting this project. Do keep us posted on how your blocks are coming along. I would love to see picture's when they are posted. You can always do the NYC blocks whenever you are ready too.
    Here's the latest Sylvia block I made. They don't all have that many tiny pieces though otherwise I wouldn't have started this - I think
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

I have tried PP'ing a couple of times on some small projects. I am just going to do it!!!

I have aslso found a few sew alongs on line doing NYB. Since I have collected my fabrics and no pattern I am still jumping in on this NYB. Most of my fabrics are Kansas Troubles so I am excited to see how it all goes together.

I guess I still need to purchase some PP'ing paper/template stuff? right?
    Renea

A quilting I will go......

www.somethinginthemaking.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anael View Post
    Here's the latest Sylvia block I made. They don't all have that many tiny pieces though otherwise I wouldn't have started this - I think
    Anael.............I "LOVE" your Sylvia block. It is so pretty & looks so intricate to make. Would this pattern happen to be one of Rhonda's patterns, using her little templates? I bet it takes a lot of time to get it put together. Thank you so much for sharing with all of us today.
    If you see someone without a SMILE, please give them one of yours!!

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast