Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Results 176 to 200 of 358

Thread: New York Beauty Quilt Along Begins Oct 1st

  1. #176
    Super Member Delta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Waco Texas
    Posts
    1,176
    Blog Entries
    1
    I'm in Boss Lady. I'm in
    SMILE- it will make everyone wonder what you are up to.
    Stay strong and keep looking up.

  2. #177
    Super Member sunrise450's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    OFallon, MO
    Posts
    1,896
    Blog Entries
    3
    Well I don't feel so bad now! I thought there was something wrong with me! I jump around too, working on sewing or quilting then switching to knitting or crochet or something else. I cross stitch also but not as much as I used to. There just isn't enough time to do all the things I want to!
    Right now I am knitting a wrap for my youngest, crocheting a baby blanket, piecing another baby blanket. I have copied the first four NYB blocks and they are sitting there waiting for me to get to them. I *think* I will get to them today. I plan to use batik in them. I have a good size collection and I guess it is time to use some of them.
    I guess it's time to learn how to send a picture now.
    Have a great day all!
    Phyllis
    Good Better Best, never let it rest till the good is better and the better best

  3. #178
    Super Member frustratedquilter40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    1,148
    Beautiful blocks both jclinganrey and amh!
    ​Christine

  4. #179
    Junior Member efayard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New Orleans area
    Posts
    164
    Here are my first blocks. I decided on batiks and stocked up a few weeks ago. Never realized there were so many batiks. Let's just say I've got the big box of crayons. I'm enjoying pping the blocks. This is my first attempt. There were quite a few rip outs... not having enough fabric to flip over... stitching on the wrong line. I think I have the hang of it now and have started on the next blocks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ellen
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when I can see footprints on the moon..."

  5. #180
    Super Member jclinganrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    2,674
    I tried the second block (block 1) and it kicked my butt. Yep, I said it. It kicked my butt. I tried to post a pic but couldn't even manage that. Probably just as well. Will make more the the '0' block to regain some conficence then will re-visit the #1 block.

    I discovered that my blocks squared up to 8" which will be 7 1/2" finished. Fine with me!!!

    How is everyone else doing??

    Jane
    Jane

  6. #181
    Super Member nygal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    5,648
    Quote Originally Posted by efayard View Post
    Here are my first blocks. I decided on batiks and stocked up a few weeks ago. Never realized there were so many batiks. Let's just say I've got the big box of crayons. I'm enjoying pping the blocks. This is my first attempt. There were quite a few rip outs... not having enough fabric to flip over... stitching on the wrong line. I think I have the hang of it now and have started on the next blocks.

    They are beautiful. When I make one I am using colorful Batiks too.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

  7. #182
    Super Member Annaquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    9,900
    Nice blocks ladies. I am still in the starting blocks, the patterns are printed out and I have plenty of batiks but nothing has happened yet. Hopefully this weekend. Even if I can just master block 0 that would be great. If I'd do 4 of those each month I would still end up with a nice quilt.
    Anna Quilts

  8. #183
    amh
    amh is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Saskatoon SK Canada
    Posts
    277
    efayard:

    Love your blocks. Can't wait to see your next blocks.

    amh
    Saskatoon SK Canada

  9. #184
    amh
    amh is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Saskatoon SK Canada
    Posts
    277
    I have a question ladies.

    When I sewed the curved pieces together, I had to take the paper off to get a nice curve. It would be nice to be able to stop any stretching by keeping the paper on. Is there a trick that someone has that they can share. I've made my blocks 12 inch, which should make it easier, but it did not seem to do that.

    Also, is there a trick to cutting out the pieces. What I did was cut out each piece (actual size), lay all the like colored pieces on my ironing table about an inch apart. I then took a piece of friezer paper and ironed it onto the pieces. I then could iron the pieces onto my fabric and cut out. I could then cut rectangles and cut them apart later, or cut the freezer paper piece out (leaving enough seam allowance) and plop it into a little space to conserve fabric. Some of these blocks have many pieces and I'm wondering if someone has a slick way of cutting them out as the above was quite time consuming.

    I'm sure I'll have more questions as I tackle more blocks, but thought I would try to pick the brains of some expert paper piecers. I welcome any suggestions.

    amh
    Saskatoon SK Canada

  10. #185
    Super Member Anael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    4,552
    Oh dear such beautiful blocks! I love to see them!

    amh, I can't help you here as I only made one on these blocks for my Sylvia and I didn't have lots of troubles with that one. But it's quite some time ago and I don't remember if I left the paper on or not. I'm sure you will get your answers though from our expert paper piecers
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat



  11. #186
    Junior Member efayard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New Orleans area
    Posts
    164
    I found I had to take the paper off to sew the curved pieces. Also I just cut small rectangular pieces for the piecing. I probably did have more waste but have gotten better at cutting smaller pieces as I went along.
    Ellen
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when I can see footprints on the moon..."

  12. #187
    Super Member kristen0112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Salem, Oregon
    Posts
    2,442
    Everyone's blocks are looking fanstatic! I finished Block 1 this morning. I had 4 of Block 0 practically done when I realized I had used GoogleChrome as my browser when printing out the blocks and it printed them smaller so the finished size would not have matched the blocks I had already sewn, URGH all that fabric wasted.

    Tip: For curved pieces. I sew along the seam line. Then I rip the paper out from the seam line area leaving the majority of the paper on the block. I snip along the curved pieces to allow for curving the seam. I also smash the paper down if it's bugging me. I also use LOTS of pins. I may have pictures of this at home I will try and post them tonight.

    Here are my Block 1's
    Attached Images Attached Images

  13. #188
    Super Member Anael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    4,552
    OH Kristen, you make me want to jump in now! Those blocks are gorgeous!
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat



  14. #189
    Super Member nygal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    5,648
    They do look GREAT. I wish I was in the mood to sew!!
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

  15. #190
    Super Member kristen0112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Salem, Oregon
    Posts
    2,442
    Quote Originally Posted by amh View Post
    I have a question ladies.

    When I sewed the curved pieces together, I had to take the paper off to get a nice curve. It would be nice to be able to stop any stretching by keeping the paper on. Is there a trick that someone has that they can share. I've made my blocks 12 inch, which should make it easier, but it did not seem to do that.

    Also, is there a trick to cutting out the pieces. What I did was cut out each piece (actual size), lay all the like colored pieces on my ironing table about an inch apart. I then took a piece of friezer paper and ironed it onto the pieces. I then could iron the pieces onto my fabric and cut out. I could then cut rectangles and cut them apart later, or cut the freezer paper piece out (leaving enough seam allowance) and plop it into a little space to conserve fabric. Some of these blocks have many pieces and I'm wondering if someone has a slick way of cutting them out as the above was quite time consuming.

    I'm sure I'll have more questions as I tackle more blocks, but thought I would try to pick the brains of some expert paper piecers. I welcome any suggestions.

    amh
    Saskatoon SK Canada
    As for cutting the pieces I measure the width of the piece so as an example the archs I measure from the top to the bottom (the height of the block) then I measure the triangle pieces, so if the height is 2 1/2 I will usually cut a strip about2 3/4 to 3 inches and then I measure the triangle piece so if it's 1 1/2 I will cut a square that is 3 1/2 inches and then cut diagonally. I hope that helps.

  16. #191
    Super Member kristen0112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Salem, Oregon
    Posts
    2,442
    Quote Originally Posted by nygal View Post
    They do look GREAT. I wish I was in the mood to sew!!
    You'll get there :-) Hopefully all these beautiful blocks will inspire you.

  17. #192
    amh
    amh is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Saskatoon SK Canada
    Posts
    277
    Kristen:

    Thanks for the suggestion on how to cut the fabric for pieces. I'll try it with the next block.

    I'm not so sure that your Zero blocks are not useable. Perhaps you want to make a flange border for those blocks. It could be quite striking.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DapTlyxKuY8

    Thanks again for the answers to my questions. Can't wait to get back to working on block #1 again.

    amh

  18. #193
    Super Member kristen0112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Salem, Oregon
    Posts
    2,442
    Quote Originally Posted by amh View Post
    Kristen:

    Thanks for the suggestion on how to cut the fabric for pieces. I'll try it with the next block.

    I'm not so sure that your Zero blocks are not useable. Perhaps you want to make a flange border for those blocks. It could be quite striking.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DapTlyxKuY8

    Thanks again for the answers to my questions. Can't wait to get back to working on block #1 again.

    amh
    That is a great idea. How was your Thanksgiving?

  19. #194
    amh
    amh is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Saskatoon SK Canada
    Posts
    277
    I had a great thanksgiving. I entertained friends on Saturday, and on Sunday entertained family. Once all my visitors went home on Monday all the sheets went into the laundry and I sewed. It was a great weekend. Had to go back to work to rest!!!

    I'm looking forward to doing a little bit of sewing this evening as well. These blocks are a bit of a challenge, but that is always fun.

    amh

  20. #195
    Super Member kristen0112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Salem, Oregon
    Posts
    2,442
    Quote Originally Posted by amh View Post
    I had a great thanksgiving. I entertained friends on Saturday, and on Sunday entertained family. Once all my visitors went home on Monday all the sheets went into the laundry and I sewed. It was a great weekend. Had to go back to work to rest!!!

    I'm looking forward to doing a little bit of sewing this evening as well. These blocks are a bit of a challenge, but that is always fun.

    amh
    I had 15 people (friends and family) for dinner Sunday. It was quite the feast! My pumpkin cheesecake with marshmallow topping was really good. We pretty much finished off a 21.5 lb turkey I boiled the carcass and pulled the meat off and we had soup Monday.

  21. #196
    QM
    QM is offline
    Power Poster QM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Northern California mountains
    Posts
    12,541
    Good work!!

    I downloaded and resized the patterns. I plan to use 8 of them for a purse, as mine is about work out. It'll probably be next month before I have time to get started.

  22. #197
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    258
    I must say all these blocks look wonderful. But as for myself am having trouble getting it together. The pp is going fine, it's sewing the curves. I read the instructions, but it's just not clicking with me just yet. But seeing the wonderful job everyone else is doing, it will give incentive to keep trying. Love this block so will keep trying. Is there any little tips of putting this together to make it easier that I am missing?

  23. #198
    Junior Member iwillquilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Mid-Missouri
    Posts
    247
    LOL!! I was determined to get my blocks started yesterday. I got in a hurry. I was done with the first one and happy. Got up this morning and thought it looked wrong. I have put my A pieces together the wrong way and ended up with a very nice wedge block. Oh well, guess I will be ripping this morning. And hopefully won't repeat it.

  24. #199
    Senior Member rainagade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Western WA
    Posts
    334

    Quote Originally Posted by kristen0112 View Post
    Everyone's blocks are looking fanstatic! I finished Block 1 this morning. I had 4 of Block 0 practically done when I realized I had used GoogleChrome as my browser when printing out the blocks and it printed them smaller so the finished size would not have matched the blocks I had already sewn, URGH all that fabric wasted.

    Tip: For curved pieces. I sew along the seam line. Then I rip the paper out from the seam line area leaving the majority of the paper on the block. I snip along the curved pieces to allow for curving the seam. I also smash the paper down if it's bugging me. I also use LOTS of pins. I may have pictures of this at home I will try and post them tonight.

    Here are my Block 1's
    oh wow, I am so glad I signed up for this. BUT....life won't let me sit down at the machine. I still have time so I will this month make time.

    I wanted to comment on these blocks. Beautiful and scrappy. Scrappy, is so cool. This is how scrappy I want to do mine. So this means less fretting or what goes in which block.

    the pictures and tips are great. Thank you
    Renea

    A quilting I will go......

    www.somethinginthemaking.blogspot.com

  25. #200
    Super Member meanmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Fairfield, OH
    Posts
    3,434
    Blog Entries
    1
    Oh wow such beautiful blocks. I am dying to start but need to finish a baby quilt and get caught up on my 50 paper pieced stars. Hopefully next week.I really need to quit my job it is interfering with my fun!

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.