Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
THE PONY CLUB  1st Milestone  15 Block "SHOW & TELL" >

THE PONY CLUB 1st Milestone 15 Block "SHOW & TELL"

THE PONY CLUB 1st Milestone 15 Block "SHOW & TELL"

Old 03-06-2012, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for the great mini tut, dublb
When I make a 1/4 inch border (or any narrow width) I cut my border piece 1/4" larger than I really need. Sew one seam and press. Next I trim the border strip the finished width of my border + 1/4"; then sew the second seam, naturally using my 1/4" guidelines on my machine.
Round up those 15 lead ponies and get them posted riders so we can all enjoy
Old 03-06-2012, 08:10 AM

Ya'll are so welcome! I failed to say to make your second border 1/4 inch bigger than you would have before Another words if your finished size is 2 inches, you would have cut it at 2 1/2, but now you need to cut it at 2 3/4. 'cause you are gonna cut 1/4 off. I tried to cut my tiny border before I put the last border on & for me that didn't work. We all have ta do what works for each of us.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
When I make a 1/4 inch border (or any narrow width) I cut my border piece 1/4" larger than I really need. Sew one seam and press. Next I trim the border strip the finished width of my border + 1/4"; then sew the second seam, naturally using my 1/4" guidelines on my machine.
Oops! I didn't see your post before I posted again! Yes this would work also.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by fryguymoore View Post
I love that 1/4 inch border. I never would have thought to do that. It seems like is would show my errors more.

I hope more people post their pictures. I love looking at what everyone has done so far!
Part of the trick is if you put it around each block it isn't always 1/4 when you do the final assembly. That strip can be used to square up all of the blocks that need a little nudge and the eye will never see the small difference in width. This is particularly affective when you use sashing.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Oops! I didn't see your post before I posted again! Yes this would work also.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by gardnergal970 View Post
Part of the trick is if you put it around each block it isn't always 1/4 when you do the final assembly. That strip can be used to square up all of the blocks that need a little nudge and the eye will never see the small difference in width. This is particularly affective when you use sashing.
I like this idea! If you need 3/8 you can plan for that & make it come out square! Or what ever you need. Awesome!
Old 03-06-2012, 02:56 PM
Power Poster

DublB ... thanks for the pic. I"ve done the tiny insert on a wall hanging and also on my OBW as a flange. See links ......
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t158113.html
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...i-t141548.html
Doing the inserts was sure a test of how straight you can sew when you do the 1/4"inserts. The flange in the second link was much easier to get the width right.

Thanks for your mini-tut
DublB ... now I want to see the quilt that goes with the pics. Nice and cheery!

GGal ... great link!! What an array of ideas for sashing and cornerstones. I can see how it can work. Of course, the trick would be finding the "perfect" fabrics to use.

Everyone ... if you didn't look at GGal's link, be sure to do so. There are SO many ideas. Even one where the cornerstones are NOT square, but diamonds. And another with mini Friendship Stars for the cornerstones .... and so many more ideas.

QNSue ... Mission Accomplished with your pic posted of the 15. Great balance of colours there

FryGuy ... Another great showing. Nothing wrong with your blacks. They're helping the colours and designs to pop.

Last edited by QuiltE; 03-06-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:12 PM
Power Poster

Whew, DH and I survived our meeting. Thanks for the background support. Really making it sound worse than it actually is. Having an open discussion makes it easier and after 25 -30 years of doing it well it gets to be routine; just a lot of prep time and making sure you haven't forgotten to add something or take out items sold. Off to the sewing machine to get some blocks sewn! I've had withdrawl the last 2 days!
Old 03-06-2012, 06:40 PM

Wow, lots of fun seeing all the blocks put together and everyone's looks great!!! It is amazing how different they look being the same block patterns. They're all going to be beautiful quilts!!! I haven't thought of sashing or corner blocks at all. To be honest, I didn't think I'd make it this far. You all have inspired me greatly. Here is my grouping.
Attached Thumbnails img_1586.jpg  
Old 03-06-2012, 07:27 PM

Termi, those blocks are just wonderful. You made it this far, so you in for the long run!!! Great Job!