Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   [DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/%5Bdear%5D-jane-stickle-cyber-block-party-jan-2010-thru-may-jun-2011-a-t28063.html)

bearisgray 12-15-2009 06:52 AM

That's a good tutorial. Thanks.

Tiffany 12-15-2009 08:17 AM

Janstar, those are fantastic! Great job!!

ai731 12-15-2009 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by sunrise450

I was going to post that website, but you beat me to it!

If you scroll down and look on the right hand side, there are links to tutorials for the 160 blocks she has done so far!

Jan

kluedesigns 12-15-2009 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by BlueChicken
I'm looking forward to doing the hard blocks with you guys, even if it is just in cyber space. Everyone has their own spin on things, and it will be good to see the different methods and hear how everyone works it out.

I'm keeping in the back of my mind that I can always remake any block that turns into a disaster.

thats the reason for having 1 week off every 6 weeks.

this way you can just make the block and move on, even if you don't like it, because you have that week off period to revisit the blocks.

i find that if you put some distance between you and the bad block, like a few weeks, you realize it isn't that bad and you don't feel the need to make it again.

at least thats the way it is for me, i can't tell you how many quilts i've wanted to set on fire and then 2 months later i love them because the mistakes really weren't that bad.

i know for sure DH has saved 3 quilts from the fireplace.

bearisgray 12-15-2009 12:39 PM

I sent in a "bad" block for the swap (I asked to get it back) - and while it still wasn't a "masterpiece" - it really wasn't all that dreadful

Tiffany 12-15-2009 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
i find that if you put some distance between you and the bad block, like a few weeks, you realize it isn't that bad and you don't feel the need to make it again.

You are much better than I am. The longer it sits there, the more I can hear it crying at me. I head downstairs to the quilt room and can hear the bad block crying out to be remade; for corners to be fixed and points to be returned instead of cut off. I usually have to stop and fix it or it begins to haunt my dreams. :roll:

bearisgray 12-15-2009 12:54 PM

Look very carefully at pictures of the original Jane quilt - the overall effect is eye-catching and beautiful -

Some of the individual blocks are a bit wonky. Some of them are very wonky. Some of them are in the "What were you thinking, Miss Jane?" category

In some ways the irregularity of the blocks of the original makes for a more interesting quilt than some of the quilts made with "perfectly uniformly sized and perfectly made" blocks

kluedesigns 12-15-2009 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I sent in a "bad" block for the swap (I asked to get it back) - and while it still wasn't a "masterpiece" - it really wasn't all that dreadful

it wasn't bad in any way you were being to hard on yourself

kluedesigns 12-15-2009 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Look very carefully at pictures of the original Jane quilt - the overall effect is eye-catching and beautiful -

Some of the individual blocks are a bit wonky. Some of them are very wonky. Some of them are in the "What were you thinking, Miss Jane?" category

In some ways the irregularity of the blocks of the original makes for a more interesting quilt than some of the quilts made with "perfectly uniformly sized and perfectly made" blocks

this is very true, jane never would have been given a ribbon for her workmanship.

originality - yes, workmanship - no

sarahelloyd 12-15-2009 02:37 PM

i'm starting to get really excited about this, and find that Christmas is almost a nuisance to be got through first, by the way over here Christmas is a massive holiday with everything stopping for at least 2 whole days, but most people having about a week off!