Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   [DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/%5Bdear%5D-jane-stickle-cyber-block-party-jan-2010-thru-may-jun-2011-a-t28063.html)

user3587 11-05-2009 08:06 AM

That's funny as I just bought a tablet of tracing paper for the kids (they are into tracing and coloring spongebob pictures right now!) and thought it might work nicely. I haven't done the math, but sounds like it's cheaper. I'll try and piece and see what I like better. The tracing paper actually seems flimsier than the velum to me...
Esqmommy

I found out there are different weights. When Klue mentioned this product online, I said (to myself of course) I have some of that. Well I went to work with it. It worked but a little to hard to tear off the fabric. I went ahead and ordered what Klue had, world of difference. It was "flimsier" than what I had on hand, and worked a lot nicer. What I like about the veliumn paper is it holds up longer to all my takeouts and restarts. When I was using a different commercial paper (no names but a quilter known for her paper pieceing) it didn't hold up to my abuse and the hold thing would fall apart. Hopefully my abuse to the paper will decrease as I become more familiar with these blocks.

All I like is washing my fabrics and I'm ready for the party.

This has become a letter but I have a question about the prize. Will we take a picture and post all our blocks for that particular drawing to get our names in the pot. I want some of Klue's hand-dyed fabrics.

bearpaw 11-05-2009 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Let me go get it..to see what its actually called....BRB.... IK...by Mead...its Academie Tracing Paper...mediumweight Paper

I bought this too, but it was too wide for my printer, so I cut it down to fit. Then the printer folded the top over and it printed all scrunchy. Did you have problems printing with it? Did you load a bunch in the printer or one page at a time?

Esqmommy 11-05-2009 08:20 AM

I had previously ordered the velum paper that KLue uses. I brought a sheet with me to the store, and I believe what I purchased is the same, if not, it's mighty close. I'll work with it and let you know if I find it's different.

user3587 11-05-2009 08:39 AM

Esqmommy
Let me know because if it's the same that's $10 cheaper for 500 sheets. I do a lot of paper piecing so would use it for other projects. I may have said this before but I used to see something I wanted but would wait a bit before ordering just in case I could get a better price, "NOT" the price would always go up, so I buy when I see something at a price I can live with. Let me know how it works for you.

Shemjo 11-05-2009 08:50 AM

Sadly, I again am not getting updates on this thread! So every time I see it, I am going to post SOMETHING!

kluedesigns 11-05-2009 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by kwhite
I have avoided starting. I know I will get lost once I do and I need to stay found for now. Klue did you use the difficulty sheet from the software or did you adjust it like we had talked about?

i used the difficulty list from the software, while i don't agree with it, i have been told by some people that what i think is easy is really intermediate.

i think its because i'm so comfortable with paper piecing that i consider 50% of the quilt is easy and the other 50% is divided into intermediate and advanced.

kluedesigns 11-05-2009 09:53 AM

okie and everyone else,

for the fabric prizes, you will have to post a pic of every block that was assigned for the 6 week working period. its based on completion not on how well they look - its more important to finish then be perfect.

you must finish them in the 6 week period not including your 1 week off.

i'll put all those names in a hat and pick one and that person gets the fabric.

the fabric prizes will vary but they will always be fabric made by me.

sometimes it will be a center piece that i've hand dyed and painted along with some matching hand dyed FQs, other times it will be a color wheel dyed lot or a gradation dyed lot, and then i also do marbling so i'd like to have some of as a prize.

hopefully, it will be great fun and will be a little motivation to stay on schedule. i fear that once someone falls behind it will be difficult to catch up.

kluedesigns 11-05-2009 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Esqmommy
I had previously ordered the velum paper that KLue uses. I brought a sheet with me to the store, and I believe what I purchased is the same, if not, it's mighty close. I'll work with it and let you know if I find it's different.

if its works let me know and what the name of the paper is. i've taken it around my area and can't find anything like it.

i don't mind buying it from that quilting lady but my concern is one day she won't be carrying it any longer and i'd have a heart attack - i go through about 800+ sheets a year.

kluedesigns 11-05-2009 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Shemjo
Sadly, I again am not getting updates on this thread! So every time I see it, I am going to post SOMETHING!

i thought admin fixed that problem.

do you think its hitting you spam folder?

Iluv2quilt 11-05-2009 10:00 AM

I see some people have started on their blocks. Is it time? I'm still contemplating colors and I need to buy the software, which I can do next week. I certainly don't want to get too far behind. :roll: