Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   [DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/%5Bdear%5D-jane-stickle-cyber-block-party-jan-2010-thru-may-jun-2011-a-t28063.html)

wilhelmina 05-20-2010 04:12 PM

Jolo, I will light a candle for your son's fast recovery this evening.

wilhelmina 05-20-2010 04:22 PM

Oh my, Patti, removing that paper is the part I hate the most! I try to be very careful and I still feel like I stress the threads. I have been removing mine after I finish each block. When I print the pattern, I also print the block page, then I pin each finished block on the back side to the page. I feel like that provides some protection and each 6 week group, is in a large ziploc.

Not all of my blocks are exactly 5 inches, some are 1/16 to 1/8 short...so I suppose I will need to make up the difference with the sashing, I am growing more concerned about that, as I thought the sizing would come in closer the more I made. :(

Esqmommy 05-20-2010 06:05 PM

I pull off the paper as it goes along. It is stressful and I can't imagine letting anyone else do it! they'd have to be a paper piecer or I'd be too nervous to trust them not to break threads. It happens to me as it is. My favorite teacher says to do a back stitch or three at the start and stop...but boy, that would just make is sooooooo much slower. So sometimes I have to go back and fix a seam! Everything gets starched and put into plastic bags..not much movement so I'm hoping nothing gets out of shape over the next year or so!

luvmortherest 05-20-2010 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by jolo
Well every one I finally got caught up on this read, I fell behind by making my blocks and getting caught up with all of you. I am taking this week off to do some of my other comittments. I am making my baby out of all my scraps and so far can not see a dip in them. lol Les your work os so beutiful I sure dont want any of my blocks next to them. I sure thank you for the guidance and all of you for encouraging me to keep on and learning the pp. My blocks are improving I hope. I am really enjoying making the Jane with you all. My son had to to to the VA hospital in Dallas Tx today. His spleen is so enlarged that He is having some breathing restrictions and not being able to eat much it is taking up so much room. He is very tall and skinny,29 in waist lol. Prayers requested. Jolo

i am sending my prayers up for your dear son

Lacelady 05-21-2010 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by luvmortherest

Originally Posted by jolo
Well every one I finally got caught up on this read, I fell behind by making my blocks and getting caught up with all of you. I am taking this week off to do some of my other comittments. I am making my baby out of all my scraps and so far can not see a dip in them. lol Les your work os so beutiful I sure dont want any of my blocks next to them. I sure thank you for the guidance and all of you for encouraging me to keep on and learning the pp. My blocks are improving I hope. I am really enjoying making the Jane with you all. My son had to to to the VA hospital in Dallas Tx today. His spleen is so enlarged that He is having some breathing restrictions and not being able to eat much it is taking up so much room. He is very tall and skinny,29 in waist lol. Prayers requested. Jolo

i am sending my prayers up for your dear son

Jolo, so sorry to hear about your DS - I hope all goes well, please let us know.

As for the pp and removing the paper, perhaps I have been using a much smaller stitch than the rest of you. I have been turning it down from the default by quite a bit, and the paper comes out quite well apart from the tight corners, where tweezers come in very handy.
Re sizing, I am not that good at gettiing blocks to come out the right size, so from the beginning, I cut the pattern shapes about an eighth larger on all the outside edges. That reminded me to leave more fabric on those as I cut out the pieces. It also gave me a nice leeway to trim down rather than worry about being short. (and more wiggle room to line up so that I won't cut off points when I sew in assembly). Hope that helps Wil, try it and see, it might make all the difference for the rest.

sandpat 05-21-2010 05:11 AM

Since I'm using vellum, its pretty easy to tear and I'm leaving my stitch length at slightly below 2. I generally don't have a problem with it like that. I just hate to pull the paper because it hurts my hands...but thats just part of it. So..I'll have to do it when I count up the pieces of the already done blocks :oops: :lol:

When I am cutting out my pp patterns, I draw an arrow on the outside edges to remind myself not to trim those sides until the very last. It allows a little "fudge" room for me.

wilhelmina 05-21-2010 02:52 PM

Lesley & Patti - thanks for the size tips, I will try them.

I use a tighter stitch on the PP too, it does help, but if I make the stitch any smaller, I would not be able to rip out a seam if I need too, as once in a while I will not use a patch large enough...but I can say this, I have learned a lot from working on this quilt already! Thank you Jane! :)

sandpat 05-21-2010 03:37 PM

Oh gosh, Meredith, you are so right! I have learned a TON from this quilt! Wonder if Jane could have ever imagined what would become of her quilt or that she would become a "quilting legend"???

Lacelady 05-21-2010 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by wilhelmina
Lesley & Patti - thanks for the size tips, I will try them.

I use a tighter stitch on the PP too, it does help, but if I make the stitch any smaller, I would not be able to rip out a seam if I need too, as once in a while I will not use a patch large enough...but I can say this, I have learned a lot from working on this quilt already! Thank you Jane! :)

If you aren't sure about a patch, use the largest stitch on your machine. It's quick to zip across, and comes out like a dream if the patch isn't big enough. If it is OK, stitch over it with the smaller stitch and don't bother to remove. I also used the largest stitch across the miiddle of papers that had no other patch attached, rather like a tacking stitch. Again, it comes out a dream when you have the whole thing put together. The only drawback as far as I can see is that you use extra thread

Lacelady 05-24-2010 02:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
You probably aren't going to love me for this, but I thought I would show you what I have been doing today. I already had the first row assembled (on the left), I did that a few weeks ago when I couldn't wait any longer to see what it would look like. Today I put four more rows together, and tacked a few of the LS triangles together too. I haven't machined the tris yet, I want to wait until I have all the centre blocks together, to see if I can get away with a broader outside strip than the quarter inch that is supposed to be used.

I now have row 1 stitched to row two, and quilted, (it looks really dinky with tiny corner stones) I'll take a pic of that in the morning.

Five rows sewn together, plus lots of blocks around
[ATTACH=CONFIG]72851[/ATTACH]

First row, with some basted tris behind it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]72852[/ATTACH]