Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   [DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/%5Bdear%5D-jane-stickle-cyber-block-party-jan-2010-thru-may-jun-2011-a-t28063.html)

sandpat 04-13-2011 04:42 AM

Maybe...but I stand by the "she must have ended up in a mental hospital for a stay to get her sanity back after making this quilt"...as DH kept reminding me when I whined about a block...Jane made it from scratch...she didn't even have patterns!! Nuts..I tell ya'...she was nuts! LOL!

sewNso 04-13-2011 04:58 AM

so, educate me. when you hand piece. as i was last nite to make a block come out right. 1/2 way thru. do you use one strand of thread or two? and when you hand quilt, do you use one strand of thread or two? and, i know you knot the thread, and then pull it into the batting. what about when you hand piece? knot or not? and I found out i like to use one strand of thread when appliquing. right or wrong?

i found and rescued a l930's quilt 5 yrs ago or so, when i lst started quilting. it had been hand pieced. 2 strands. larger stitches.... sooo when i hand quilted it QID... i used 2 strands of thread, and sorta repaired as i went. to tighten up the orginal stitchess. worked good. my point---in 1930 she used 2 strands of cotton thread to piece with.

I'll go find it. and share......

sandpat 04-13-2011 05:19 AM

I don't know about what anyone else uses sew...I use only 1 strand of thread when I hand piece...I take a backstitch at the beginning and the end. I use only 1 strand of hand quilting thread when I quilt also, there I knot and bury the knot in the batting. I didn't know that they used 2 strands in the 30's...interesting!

Janstar 04-13-2011 06:21 PM

Ditto for me too Patti!! I agree that Jane must have been a little nutty! And we are all following her just like sheep!! LOL!!!!!!!!!

Got four more rows sewn together and trimmed and tacked down on the back! Slow but sure!

BevD 04-13-2011 08:03 PM

Fantastic blocks Jan, what a beauty!

I am trying to keep up with the QAYG but am a couple of weeks behind with these. Doesn't matter though as I have a few things coming up with my son that will have me waiting around - the perfect time to put them in my little box and complete.

One strand of thread for hand sewing and quilting for me too sew.

sewNso 04-14-2011 04:34 AM

thx ladies. Sorry, didn't feel like taking a picture and posting it, etc. will soon. jane was calling......

sandpat 04-14-2011 05:09 AM

Jan, it seems so much closer to the end when you start getting the rows sewn together doesn't it??

Sew..no problem, we all know THAT feeling!

sewNso 04-14-2011 08:52 AM

catching up today, doing hand applique of diamonds, melons, etc. for weeks l6, 17, and l8.

sandpat 04-14-2011 04:22 PM

woohoo....thats lots of applique!

sewNso 04-14-2011 06:25 PM

nahhhh, i'm retired. just babysit on mon's and tues. have the rest of the week to play. after i do the dishes. and excercise for a 1/2 hr.

housekeeper is coming tomor. , so i have to get up and clean!!!!! ha, ha... :-)