Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/2012-2013-dear-jane-stickle-2d-cyber-party-pictures-discussion-t175669.html)

Cre8tvlwyr 04-30-2013 08:31 AM

While looking for a tutorial to help me make the inner reverse applique points in K-5 a little sharper [...usually can do this, but this morning.... not so much] I found an interesting youtube video on quilt as you go. I would make a couple of small changes to her method. I would sew the second side sashing by machine on the right side rather than the left - so make that double pressed piece of sashing for the back. Then I would slip stitch the back sashing rather than do machine stitching here.

you'll know what I mean if you watch the video :)
Gus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji8BLS2rNHA

Cre8tvlwyr 04-30-2013 10:15 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Okey dokey... two more and a change...

Here is my last one for this week, K5 - note that the diamonds are a little sharper. I simply changed the angle a bit and used a ruler to mark off 7/8" from each of the center "X" mark to determine how large to cut the diamond [once the four pieces were sewn together - actually I sewed a strip of background and strip of print together that measured 1 1/4" x 7" leaving me a generous allowance. When I determined the angle, I simply used the edge of the template to cut the angle on the fabric. I didnt take a pic but I used same method for BR13 and will post that pic again]
I never found a tute for the inner point, but remembered all I had to do was take a couple extra stitches to pull it in.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]410922[/ATTACH]the next pic shows the adjustments I made to this one and K7...[ATTACH=CONFIG]410924[/ATTACH]
and here is the method I used for BR13[ATTACH=CONFIG]410925[/ATTACH]

For K7 - one of next week's blocks - I just checked out both the Auntreen and thatquilt blogs... they each used Jane's triangle method, where Brenda's sketch is simply two pieces - the rose print and the background. Jane really knew how to make things look right because by making triangles, you avoid half of those sharp inner points! I also wanted to take advantage of that like Jane, by making the other points where the triangles come together sharper. So I re-drew those curves. You cold make it even sharper if you wanted to.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]410930[/ATTACH]
I actually had made two of the blocks for next week earlier.... can't believe I got these done!
I will post them again when I get the remaining K6 made.
Gus

GV09 04-30-2013 05:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hello, Ladies!
How are you? I hope very well!
Thank you very much for your very lovely words to my blocks!
Gus ... thanks a lot for your Tutorial and the link to vídeo!
I am suscribed to the blog by Rose Smith and she made an QAYG on a quilt. In your case without sashing, but is a good example and very clear for me. Here is the link:
http://www.ludlowquiltandsew.co.uk/f...-rows-pattern/
Speaks of the QAYG from minute 6:45. I hope you will be useful!
This week I am doing a quilting in an old top (2010), I leave two photos, so I do not think that can do the blocks of the DJ.
Ah ... yesterday I won a soft "Quilting Designs 6" for having participated in a "Blog Hop" to learn to use the EQ7. I learned much this week, more than in the year that I have the program! I'm super happy and wanted to share it!
Wish all a beautiful week!

DottyD 05-01-2013 08:00 AM

Hi all -- Lovely Christmas quilt Gladys -- so sweet !

Well girls - I am blowing a rather large trumpet today - Ta Da !!!!!
I have just finished my LAST corner kite - and so now all blocks - tri's and kites are done !!!
I must now look at starting the sashing - I just cannot believe after all this time - I have reached this part in my Dear Jane journey.
Belonging to this group has been so important to me and has really given me the push I needed - so thank you all
for your kind comments and encouragement.
I am just waiting for my DH to take the last photos and I will send them asap.
We have recently got back from a wonderful holiday in Texas - and I met a group of ladies - whom I had met on previous visits - who are also making their Dear Jane quilts and I had a really nice time with them -- the jet lag has been bad this time - taking us quite a while to get over a six hour time difference and a approx 9 hour overnight flight.
Worth it though - we had a great time and the US quilt shops are amazing !!!!

Cre8tvlwyr 05-01-2013 08:34 AM

Dotty,
You have been an encouragement to us as well!! It's great to know this can be done...YAY HIP HIP HURRAH!!

Maybe someday I can come visit you :) you're just over the pond from the majority of my relatives in Holland who I haven't seen since 2000 :( Come to think of it - we haven't seen Anael here in a while... must send her a PM.

btw - you are not allowed to leave us altogether now that you have finished your blocks [not finished til that baby is fully quilted anyway] and would certainly love a signature block from you. I will get some PM's out shortly to see who will be interested in joining.

CONGRATS!!!
Gus

GV09 05-01-2013 12:55 PM

Hello, Dotty! Thank you very much for your lovely comment!
I'm happy dance for you! : D I can't believe it! You already have everything! OMG!
I'm dying to see your photos! Please upload them when possible!Hopefully not leave us alone who are so backward... like me! Lol! : (
Be happy and celebrate with joy! You have it deserved!
A giant hug!

katybob 05-01-2013 05:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's Week 68.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]411241[/ATTACH]

K-5 gave me fits, but only because I had it mostly put together when I realized I'd gotten the background and main fabrics reversed in the little appliqued diamonds, so I redid that part of it.

Congratulations, Dotty! Have you decided how you're going to quilt it yet? I remember you have the same issues as I do with handquilting. I've tried the "stab" stitch, but it looks awful on the back. I also tried FMQ on some extra blocks, but that's got its own issues -- these blocks really don't lend themselves to much continuous quilting.

Cre8tvlwyr 05-01-2013 07:31 PM

katybob, what is FMQ??
Gus
[I know, you'll tell me and I'll say....duhhhh]

Cre8tvlwyr 05-01-2013 07:32 PM

ok... I look again!!! LOL I'll just leave it there to give you a laugh :shock: free-motion quilting.....duhhhhhhh
HeHEHE!!

CindyA 05-02-2013 02:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Congratulations, Dotty!! You're an inspiration to keep going. Yes, please keep us posted - I'd love to be able to continue following as you quilt DJ.

Here is K-4 Thea's Turn. I didn't realize I used the wrong fabric on the outer corners until I went to trim it up. I'm 'ok' with it, however, and won't re-do it. I kind of like it the way it is.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]411275[/ATTACH]

I hope I'm not annoying everyone by posting each block individually instead of all for the week. I just get too excited to wait until I've completed them all. :o