Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/2012-2013-dear-jane-stickle-2d-cyber-party-pictures-discussion-t175669.html)

TymeToShine 02-12-2012 08:14 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Week 5:

The Hunter's Moon threw me for a loop when I first read through the directions. Once I sat down and started it step by step, it went great! (Okay - so I had to print out 3 copies instead of the 2 when I ironed the freezer paper the wrong way ,blush> ) I think this is my favorite block so far!

QuiltnNan 02-12-2012 09:14 AM

Linda, your blocks are perfect!!!!!

katybob 02-12-2012 09:33 AM

Week 5 Blocks

2 Attachment(s)
Here are my blocks for Week 5. I made the first A3 (the brown one) using the directions from "thatquilt" and reverse appliqued the second one. I may decide to do that one again sometime.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]311188[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]311189[/ATTACH]

Fraew 02-12-2012 10:15 AM

Wk 5: A3, B12, BR1

1 Attachment(s)
First attempt at melons or any applique with points for that matter! Let me be the first to say that I left plenty of room to grow with this technique. :rolleyes:

Nice blocks everyone. Perfect melons TymetoShine! :thumbup:

mim 02-12-2012 10:50 AM

I experemented with triangle sizes on the printer this morning -- 9" was too pointy but I like the 8 1/2" look. It is surprising how a quarter inch really makes a diffference. I just did my math -- If I use 8" triangles and 1" sashing the quilt will be around 110"

I spread the printed pages on the floor and went away and then walked past them -- the 8" looks a better ratio to my eyes. Now I will have to make a plexiglass template because it isn't a usual angle. I don't have my tools and supplies here so I will wait to get back to ME before I do any triangles. -- or better yet, make the triangles but not trim them 'til then. I have a lot of squares done -- in the schedule as well as others so I will have my colors scattered all over. I am using scraps, FQs and odds and ends of blues. Next week after the show here in Olympia, I will take pix.

spartan quilter 02-12-2012 12:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Here are my blocks for week 5. I see that many have named their quilts, such as Trip Around the World, Lemon Jane, or doing a color themed one. So, I have finally decided what to do with mine to make it different. I am doing all the hand quilting in glitter thread. So, it is a glitzy, glam Jane. I am sashing it in the background white, with some black material from my stash that had beads of gold going through it. Will post pics when I get that far. Enjoy, and must say again, THANKS to everyone for all the helpful hints posted and the great blocks. I am loving this.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]311252[/ATTACH]
I noticed on this first triangle, that it is a mirrow image to the one in the book, but so what. Who will know? It looks good to me. I will be more careful with the next ones. lol I haven't done the glitz quilting on this one yet.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]311251[/ATTACH]
I really struggled with the block above, but got it done, and figure that since it is mine, I will live with my mistakes.
The one below was also a struggle, but I mastered it, and moved on. I just can't make more than one, or I will never get done. Kudos to those who are making more than 1 Dear Jane

[ATTACH=CONFIG]311249[/ATTACH]

TymeToShine 02-12-2012 12:40 PM

KatyBob... I never thought of reverse applique for A-3 , that really turned out very nicely for you great job!

Fraew...talk about perfect melons...yours look great! Like I said...maybe it is that "beginner's luck" helping us with those <VBG>

TymeToShine 02-12-2012 12:52 PM

Spartan quilter, the glitzy thread looks great on your blocks. And , hey! don't call them "mistakes" ... I was reading through the first Jane Stickle cyber block party and I really liked the one comment I read that one lady posted. . . they were further along on their quilt blocks and she was enjoying being able to look at the blocks she was now making and was thrilled to see how much she was learning along her journey in making this quilt. I started counting and we have over 100 more melons to make! I am with Fraew and feel I have lots more room to improve on these melons.
I also remember a lesson I learned from a folk artist many years ago... when I was fretting over "mistakes" in some of the things I was making he very kindly told me that he purposely made sure he had areas that were not perfect in his work because people want to see that the items are handmade....not something perfect turned out in a factory.

Anael 02-12-2012 01:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
TymeToShine, you're so right. These blocks (A3 and B12) are among the first ones I made when I started my Dear Jane over a year ago. I improved since but I will keep these blocks and put them in the quilt so I can see I made some progress along the way.
So here are my absolutely not perfect blocks :D

TymeToShine 02-12-2012 02:07 PM

Anael!!! I love the variation of B12!!!