Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/2012-2013-dear-jane-stickle-2d-cyber-party-pictures-discussion-t175669.html)

TymeToShine 03-28-2012 11:34 AM

Anael - WOW! very nice...also I see how far behind I am! ;-)

Gus...your B-9 color layout is fascinating. Way to go!

Ann Clair - very pretty and nice job on the quilting.

Quilt'n Nan - Ooooo...a new house and a new sewing room. I can understand your excitement! We moved into a new house last June. Have had a man working on finishing the bonus room upstairs for my very first sewing room ( have been sewing on the kitchen table for 40 years so i am very excited about getting a room just for sewing where I can leave my projects out. The room is ALMOST ready for us to begin building a cutting table and a sewing table...in fact, I got to move some folding tables and my sewing machine up here yesterday and I am now trying to decide on what I need for storage and so on....This will be a great change from digging all kinds of plastic bins out to try to find what I am trying to find. I am also excited to be able to make a design wall to put my DJ pieces on. It will all take time....but I have a start! Let us see pictures of your new sewing studio when you get it set up!

Spartan Quilter. I really like your variation on how you are quilting the blocks differently. Especially like your B-7

Jeanine 03-28-2012 11:35 AM

I keep lurking and loving all of the blocks. I got behind the 3rd week, and never got back to sewing. But I really love seeing how the different color schemes look. Thanks all for such a variety of ideas.

Jeanine in Washington State

spartan quilter 03-28-2012 05:53 PM

TymeToShine--Yes, no one told me that there are rules about quilting, so I am just doing what I want. I decided that if it is machine sewn, then I do the shadow stitching, as I call it, and if it is an applique piece, then I do the stitching like I did on B7. So, I am getting all sorts of different things on this quilt, but it is a definite learning experience.

Cre8tvlwyr 03-28-2012 06:38 PM

A learning experience it is!!! and whoever said I was caught up [he he.... fooled everyone by posting all those blocks I guess cuz I'm a week behind!] That B-9 fabric is just two fabrics - the lighter one and a 'Dear Jane' fabric I bought from Brenda's site that has a stripe pattern in it. She designed several reproduction fabrics like the original Jane. I used part for the 4 inside stripe pieces and another part of the same fabric for the corners! When pieces are this small, you get to use the same fabric in different ways - love doing it!!
Gus

Fabric Galore 03-29-2012 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by ann clare (Post 5093491)
WOW Love all the blocks. Posting for last week and this week.[ATTACH=CONFIG]323018[/ATTACH]

ann clare, Your blocks are beautiful as usual. Are you quilting just the top and the batting or do you have the backing on your squares? I haven't decided how I want to do the quilting on my squares. I'm looking for ideas from others.

ann clare 03-30-2012 12:18 PM

Losie, I am quilting with the batting and backing. Got my backing fabric in Belfast on Monday. It cost 21.70 sterling per yard. I started by hand but now I am machine quilting where possible. When I have Rows 1 and 2 done I will join QAYG (quilt as you go). Love the idea of completing a row.

hopetoquilt 03-31-2012 03:36 AM

Hey, I was just directed to your website. I just bought the book and after a first look, I have become very intimidated but this thread looks awesome and I am going to start my DJ soon. I will be far behind everyone else but I don't mind... I want to do this to relax and enjoy quilting. I can't wait to start. I have to shop for fabrics before I start. I have kona white for the background. My stash is non-existent. I buy as I go. I love batiks and I also love 2 color quilts. Not sure which way I will go with fabric choices or if I will get repro fabrics. HMMMM.

xsquilter 03-31-2012 04:32 AM

Yay Jocelyn....you arrived! Try to take the time to read this thread.....you won't be sorry! Lots of eye candy here.
Maureen

Cre8tvlwyr 03-31-2012 08:54 AM

Welcome Jocelyn!!! don't be intimidated and dont worry about being behind [I started this thing - am a week behind today ...then there's tomorrow :( and taxes...:( gotta do those too] also - if you have any any fabrics in your stash at all [once you figure out whether you are going bright, batik, repro... I guess that should stay constant] you don't need much per block. In fact, I have a few blocks where I used just barely 1 charm square of 'color' plus the background. Background requires about the same. Some will use 2 charm squares of each. You just have to cut carefully and think things through.

If you want to jump in and catch up, I would start with the easier ones and get a feeling of accomplishment - - A6, A8, B13, C3, C1, B4 B10,

If you enjoy applique - A7 is a piece of cake [if you want it to look more like the original, you should reduce the size of the melons a little - don't be intimidated with reverse applique, it is more forgiving!]; B1 =4EZ reverse app circles [I match the size to Karen Kay Buckley circles to mark outer fabric; I also use those for B2 and B3 - the first has you making two sets of 4patches made out of halfsquare triangles and 'twisting' color before appliqueing on top; B3 - I made a larger 4patch, cut inner circle 1/2" larger in diameter than finished, took an extra 1/2" on the four seams and appliqued the circle on background], B12 - a little more challenging,but not bad. As is A10 - refer to the thatquilt.blogspot for those instructions.

Next do A5 - if you look up the nowaste method for making flying geese [http://www.patchpieces.com/files/flyinggeese.pdf] it will go a bit faster. Do A4

wait a little before doing A11 [refer to post #523 to make it easier], same with B11 - look at instructions on post #804. and A1 - several members -starting with judytheSewer and TymetoShine noticed that the book pattern did not look like the original at all, which was wonkier and drew other patterns - starts with post#200. I wrote a tutorial for A2 on post #684.

hope these pointers help!!!
Gus

Cre8tvlwyr 03-31-2012 08:56 AM

Also - the triangles are not as hard as they may seem. The first ones I posted to make are quite EZ.