Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   2014--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/2014-50-fabulous-paper-pieced-stars-bow-t235683.html)

KalamaQuilts 12-24-2013 08:26 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok, here are my fabrics waiting
I went with mixed greens all from stash
I knew I didn't have 7 yards-ish worth of mixed scrap neutrals any more,
so I girded my loins and asked Rob to pick up 7 yards of something that would not overwhelm the star fabrics, he made a great choice. 'Bout killed me to buy fabric though, honest. I haven't bought fabric in sooo long~

So I'm ready when someone shouts GO :)
I love my 6600 blinged in pink!

I just counted, I think I have 47 greens...anyone want to trade a few, then I'd have all the stars different greens? My fabrics are all prewashed if it makes a difference, no smokers, 2 doxies, but they have their own stash...you can see they run from forest green to sage green to lime.

KC21 12-24-2013 09:12 AM

I'm sew enjoying all the post! Since I closed my quilting store 2 years ago I have a huge stash of mostly blenders. I've discovered that paper piecing uses a lot of fabric so this should put a little dent in my healthy stash! I made my first test star but I'm going to make a second one after Christmas. Looking forward to the fun!

mattsmom1204 12-24-2013 12:02 PM

[QUOTE=urgodschild2;6470729]I am thinking of using only my stash too except for the background which I will have to get. I am also thinking of making each star out of flower material as I seem to have a ton of it. It will be a flowery star quilt. LOL

I too will be using my stash. As I prepare for this BOW, I started organizing my fabric, WOW, I have a lot of pink. My colors will be pink, orange, yellow and easter green on a white background.

alikat110 12-25-2013 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts (Post 6472212)
I just counted, I think I have 47 greens...anyone want to trade a few, then I'd have all the stars different greens? My fabrics are all prewashed if it makes a difference, no smokers, 2 doxies, but they have their own stash...you can see they run from forest green to sage green to lime.

I would be happy to send you some greens. I like about anything. Send me a pm and we can go over details of swap.....I love what you have. Green is my favorite color!!!!

mattsmom1204 12-25-2013 07:42 PM

What size blocks is everyone doing? I'm going for 9 inches for two reasons. One they're bigger than a 6 inch and smaller than the full 12inches. Also, while organizing my stash for this BOW, I found an old block setting pamphlet I got from Connecting Threads years ago. It tells how much border, setting ideas and sashing needed for 9 inch blocks. No guessing needed.

KC21 12-26-2013 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by mattsmom1204 (Post 6474257)
What size blocks is everyone doing? I'm going for 9 inches for two reasons. One they're bigger than a 6 inch and smaller than the full 12inches. Also, while organizing my stash for this BOW, I found an old block setting pamphlet I got from Connecting Threads years ago. It tells how much border, setting ideas and sashing needed for 9 inch blocks. No guessing needed.

After much thinking, I decided to make it easy on myself and make the 12" blocks. If I hang in for a full year and make all 50 blocks I'll go all out and do pillow shames, a bed runner and dresser & nightstand scarfs. 12" covers a lot of territory so accessorizing with the extra blocks would give a room a pulled together look and give me something to do with all those blocks!!!

nygal 12-26-2013 06:44 AM

I am also using from my stash. I did the first block already. I am doing them in 8". No special reason I just didn't want them to be 12". I am using mostly Batiks and may throw in another kind of fabric here and there. I was going to use the same background for each but looked at some other's that were done here this past year and I will make sure my thin sashing will be the same through out yet will be using different light batik for the backgrounds.

KC21 12-26-2013 06:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]453260[/ATTACH]

Here's my Alabama Star! Although I love the fabric in the center of the star it's lost next to the gray fabrics. I'm going to try a center with more contrast and will post when complete.

sue z q 12-26-2013 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by nygal (Post 6459350)
Now I am thinking of maybe really mixing up my fabrics like in a Crazy Quilt!! I have lots of brocades, satin fabrics, light weight velvets etc left over from the CQ I made many years ago. So I am still trying to decide which fabrics I will use. They may really look nice with batiks too! Decisions...decisions.

What an interesting idea to mix up the fabrics. That will look stunning.

huntannette 12-26-2013 07:03 AM

I`m in...I have a few blocks done....will be nice to see everyone`s vision....