Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   20th Mystery Quilt Train Ride (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/20th-mystery-quilt-train-ride-t299556.html)

AngeliaNR 09-22-2018 08:40 AM

I am a bit confused. I am doing this non-scrappy (believe it or not). I thought I needed neutral, light, medium, and dark (4 fabrics). Do I actually only need three (neutral, medium, and dark)? Are the HSTs neutral and medium OR light and medium? Sorry for the questions, but I want to get it right!

Thanks for doing the mystery, Judy; I love making them.

NZquilter 09-22-2018 10:05 AM

Quick question if you don't mind, Judy? Does there have to be a definite contrast between what we use for medium and what we will use later on for dark? I understand there has to be a definite contrast between the medium and the neutral.

I'm pulling fabrics and I feel there is such a fine line between medium, med-dark and dark.

paintmejudy 09-22-2018 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR (Post 8131342)
I am a bit confused. I am doing this non-scrappy (believe it or not). I thought I needed neutral, light, medium, and dark (4 fabrics). Do I actually only need three (neutral, medium, and dark)? Are the HSTs neutral and medium OR light and medium? Sorry for the questions, but I want to get it right!

Thanks for doing the mystery, Judy; I love making them.

Angelia, so I guess I have really confused everyone on the non-scrappy part. Hope I can shed light on the subject. Today you will start to make 96 HSTs with 2 fabrics, a medium and a light. Next clue you will need the light fabric and something to go with the two you are already working with. Now, the more I overthink it, I should have been more careful on instructions for these non-scrappy.Yes, there does need to be a 4th color at the very end clue, I'd say wait until the end to choose this last fabric. . I'm so sorry, I really made a mess of this, didn't I?

paintmejudy 09-22-2018 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter (Post 8131378)
Quick question if you don't mind, Judy? Does there have to be a definite contrast between what we use for medium and what we will use later on for dark? I understand there has to be a definite contrast between the medium and the neutral.

I'm pulling fabrics and I feel there is such a fine line between medium, med-dark and dark.

So true. All I meant was, if you have some really dark, put it aside. You can still use other colors with these darks, just thinking I'd really rather you used the really darks at the final clue.

AngeliaNR 09-22-2018 11:22 AM

Not a mess at all--I just wasn't sure if neutral=light, or if they were two different fabrics. As I understand your answer, neutral=light, correct?

I'm looking forward to starting; I have a fabric I've been wanting to use in a project for a while now--this is it! :)

JanieW 09-22-2018 12:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]601506[/ATTACH]
What do you think, Judy? Before I go into major production, I want your honest opinion. I can always go to plan B.

NZquilter 09-22-2018 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by paintmejudy (Post 8131393)
So true. All I meant was, if you have some really dark, put it aside. You can still use other colors with these darks, just thinking I'd really rather you used the really darks at the final clue.

Sounds, perfect! Thank you!

Cheesehead 09-22-2018 03:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
JanieW, love your fabric!

I have finished the assignment given today, here are my half square triangles. I plan to use a dark green and deep burgundy for the next clue or something along that line.[ATTACH=CONFIG]601509[/ATTACH]

Watson 09-22-2018 03:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Next clue you will need the light fabric and something to go with the two you are already working with.
Judy, can you tell us what you mean by "something" to go with the two? Darker? Lighter? Different colour?

Here are the two I was originally going to work with but I'm not sure if they will work now. (Yes, I do think turquoise is a neutral. :D )

[ATTACH=CONFIG]601511[/ATTACH]

Watson

RJ 09-22-2018 05:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have had some of these flannel fabrics for 6 years---finally time to get them out and use them...so here are my choices for scrappy with the beige for my solid