Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   20th Mystery Quilt Train Ride (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/20th-mystery-quilt-train-ride-t299556.html)

RJ 10-06-2018 05:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So....happy Saturday. I am ready for todays clue....I have no errands to run today...hubby is at work...I have all day to play and sew LOL LOL

SusieQOH 10-06-2018 06:33 AM

RJ- those blocks are beautiful!

paintmejudy 10-06-2018 07:04 AM

Tired of HSTs? Something different today! :-)

5 Attachment(s)
Happy Saturday to all, and here we go again!

If you are using yardage and not making a scrappy -- use light and your neutral. This is where you MUST have contrast with all your fabrics.

For the scrappy fans, anything from lighter mediums and medium and medium dark, even some dark as long as not dark as midnight. Not too light either, you need contrast. . All will be fine as long as you have contrast with your neutrals.

today you will be done with cutting neutral/lights unless you plan on using some in a border, which I am leaving to you to decide on how you will finish off the quilt.

Today we start to make a batch of 4-patch – you will need 96 4-patch that measure 3-1/2” square. Make sure your size of the pressed block is correct. Adjust needle position if needed, and have accurate cutting.

NOTE: I need to confess that I had all the parts for the 4 patch done and sewn together, and was beginning to assemble the quilt, when I wished I hadn’t paired them up to match. I think the look would have been scrappier if the pairs didn’t match. But was not going to pick apart and re-sew all those 4-patch blocks. I liked the finished project and wasn’t all that disappointed in the matched 4-patch. You chose how you want to do them – controlled or uncontrolled scrappy.

For scrappy – I cut the strips at 2” wide, then cut these pieces into 9 to 10” pieces, so I would have the greatest variety of colors then sewed a darker with a neutral , right sides together, pressed seam to the dark. Cut into segments that measure 2” wide. Put two segments together , and sew into a 4-patch. Press. They must measure at 3-1/2” square. Check your seam, and use scant seam allowance if they do not measure correctly. Watch your cutting, too. Trim as needed. If you have an abundance of 2-1/2” squares, you can use up some of these squares.

Non scrappy - Same thing, except using WOF cut 2" wide strips, sew together and subcut into 2" segments, and make a 4-patch.

Again I am giving you two weeks to make these 4-patch. I will be out of town again from the 11th to the 17th. More family stuff. Final clue and the directions for the rest of the pieces and the assembly of your quilt will be given on Oct. 20.

I’ll check in soon.

paintmejudy 10-06-2018 07:07 AM

RJ love you HSTs, beautiful colors.

RJ 10-06-2018 07:13 AM

Thank you paintmejudy---I had forgotten how much I love working with flannels

NZquilter 10-06-2018 07:34 AM

Thanks for the next step, Judy!

dotcomdtcm 10-06-2018 07:38 AM

I am gambling too! My HSTs are red prints w white. My 4 patch squares will be white w blue prints. I hope that will work. Thanks, Judy. Now friends, I like to suggest a hostess gift for Judy. I don't know if the leaves change in Arizona, but how about sending Judy a harvest of seasonal prints. A fq is enough. It's just to send thanks and hugs in the mail. I have Judy's address, if you don't. Dotty

paintmejudy 10-06-2018 09:06 AM

Thank you, Dotty, this is very kind of you, and much appreciated. :)
Judy

lawsonmugs 10-06-2018 09:11 AM

RJ those are beautiful so fall looking. Judy so we are making basically the same thing only in a 4 patch as far as colors go? I'm doing scrappy.

craftyjulz 10-06-2018 12:15 PM

Dd- I really love your reds with white HST’s. I think finding either a deep burgendy red or a multi hued red batik would work great for later.
RJ- love your flannel HST’s too.
Carol- What a dynamic colored block for train number 19. I really love it!
Dotty- What a great idea! I’ll need that address if you can pm me? One fat quarter (because I don’t have enough scraps, especially not in fall colors) will be on its way to Judy soon.
Everybody’s stuff is really making me excited to see how these quilts are going to finish out.
Judy- I’m planning on using the same scrap fabrics for these 4 patches & then use my dark purple yardage for later. Is that ok? Do you have any hints about how the 4th fabric comes into play &/or how it should coordinate with the others? I’m sure you can tell I’m OCD, sorry. Lol.
Julz