Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   50 Fab Paper-Pieced Stars (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/50-fab-paper-pieced-stars-t171784.html)

PokerDiva 03-02-2012 07:10 AM

Do not feel pressured to catch up. Work at your own pace and show us your pretty blocks when you can. No quilt police here.

Originally Posted by sue z q (Post 5024294)
I love looking at all these blocks. They are so pretty. Seeing all nine together is fantastic. I really am working on mine. 2 finished and 2 almost finished. Have just about given up thinking I can catch up, but will sew on!

nickylsf 03-02-2012 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by whitepine (Post 5022933)
Nicky, Re: your idea of pink flamingos. That would have been a fun fabric quest, to make each star with something to do with the State.

WhitePine, I agree! That would be so much fun. But I have lots of fabric already and want to avoid buying new fabric for every block I make. Lord knows i am making alot of pp blocks these days. I am working on the houses quilt, making 6x6" and 6x12" blocks to surround the houses to get it to queen size. I am having a blast with it.

In any event I think we stay more creative when we try to make do with what we have. I have all my smallish prints in large baggies, one for each color, and I find I have tons of choices!

vintagemotif 03-02-2012 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by sue z q (Post 5024294)
I love looking at all these blocks. They are so pretty. Seeing all nine together is fantastic. I really am working on mine. 2 finished and 2 almost finished. Have just about given up thinking I can catch up, but will sew on!

Keep on sewing! You're not the only one behind; I'm so way behind. I still haven't done Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, or Colorado.
My goal this coming week is Alabama (tonight), Colorado ( tomorrow night since it looks quick to do), and Georgia.

vintagemotif 03-02-2012 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by nickylsf (Post 5024772)
WhitePine, I agree! That would be so much fun. But I have lots of fabric already and want to avoid buying new fabric for every block I make. Lord knows i am making alot of pp blocks these days. I am working on the houses quilt, making 6x6" and 6x12" blocks to surround the houses to get it to queen size. I am having a blast with it.

In any event I think we stay more creative when we try to make do with what we have. I have all my smallish prints in large baggies, one for each color, and I find I have tons of choices!

I like the idea too, but agree that it would require me to purchase more fabrics. I'm goal was to use only from my stash. So, some stars will have a state color or theme for that star if I have the fabrics to make it work and other stars will not.

Moonwork thanks for posting the links! Very helpful reference for state colors.

nickylsf 03-02-2012 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by nickylsf (Post 5024772)

Ha ha that being said I just bought 1/4 yd of shamrock fabric for the calendar BOM!! :)

LindaC 03-03-2012 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by meanmom (Post 5019940)
Yeah I finally got my picture to post. Here are my blocks so far. Thanks for everyones help with hints to help me.

these are stunning

meanmom 03-03-2012 04:40 AM

I was going to try to make all of the blocks out of my stash. I am going to try to only buy my background fabric since I wanted to keep it the same throughout. My stash has been getting out of control. So far I have been able to not buy any fabric. My machine is in the shop for a tune up and has been all week. I have my Georgia block finished. I hope it is finished today because I only have one machine.

paintmejudy 03-03-2012 12:07 PM

Isn't is awful when our babies go in for their check-ups? Withdrawal! Last summer a gear that never wears out, wore out, and it needed to be ordered from Switzerland. They told me 2 to 3 weeks. (ended up being a day short of three weeks.) Thought I was going to faint, so bought a used, older mechanical Brother. Didn't know if I could be away from my machine for all that time.

PokerDiva 03-03-2012 12:33 PM

I am sure I know what the song will be for tomorrow. I hope someone posts it. I love that song.

whitepine 03-03-2012 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by PokerDiva (Post 5028148)
I am sure I know what the song will be for tomorrow. I hope someone posts it. I love that song.

:) It's kind of obvious, isn't it. The only question is which version. As a hint, I didn't know that Ray Charles was born in Georgia.