Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   50 Fab Paper-Pieced Stars (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/50-fab-paper-pieced-stars-t171784.html)

PokerDiva 09-06-2012 07:26 AM

Whitepine, I completely know what you mean about some blocks driving you up a wall but your blocks always turn out beautifully and I will wait patiently to see your OK. And nygal, when can we expect to see one of yours. Absolutely no pressure.

ckcowl 09-06-2012 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by PokerDiva (Post 5493704)
Well ck (what the heck is your first name anyway), I love the colors against the black so I bet if I saw it in person the way you describe it, I know I will really love it.

colleen kay ...

whitepine 09-07-2012 07:04 AM

Thanks, PokerDiva. And I had an inspiration on what to do with OK. I'm going to make it multi colored, kind of like Maine was, and use up scraps from every color.

PokerDiva 09-07-2012 07:39 AM

Whitepine, what a great idea. Can't wait to see it.

ckcowl 09-07-2012 08:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.quiltingboard.com/attachm...ril-14_951.jpgso- i really didn't like 2 of my previous blocks- Hawaii & Iowa- so i am remaking them- this is the (original) and now the 'new version....
[ATTACH=CONFIG]360997[/ATTACH] working on Iowa now- the original one really clashed horribly with the other blocks- so i am hoping i did better the second time around- the 2 originals i figure i will use for the front of tote bags or something.

PokerDiva 09-07-2012 09:38 AM

Colleen, isn't it weird how different the same block can look with different fabric. I like them both. You will however have a beautiful tote if you use it for that.

ckcowl 09-07-2012 12:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
and here is the (old) Iowa---which is WHOA!!! way out of (Character) from the rest of my blocks...i don't even know how that one came about...and the NEW & IMPROVED Iowa...i am much happier with the 2nd one...and now there isn't one that jumps out & smacks you in the face hanging one the wall:p
[ATTACH=CONFIG]361047[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]361048[/ATTACH]

ckcowl 09-07-2012 12:35 PM

and yes- it is amazing how different fabrics make a block look- one year i participated in a Saturday Sampler program- the quilt was offered in 3 colorways- neutrals, batiks & novelty children prints- i chose to do all 3---and to look at the quilts they are so totally different looking! unless you actually saw them side by side & inspected the individual blocks you would have no idea they were all the same. try it sometime- choose a quilt you want to make- make it in 30's (or 1800's) fabrics, batiks & flannels (or novelties) or what ever something totally diffent- you will wind up with 3 totally different quilts- FUN!

PokerDiva 09-07-2012 01:23 PM

Goodness what a difference in those two. Now you are scaring me Colleen. I didn't have a design wall until just today and I haven't figured out where in the world I am going to put it. It is not very big so won't be able to get all stars on there at the same time. I wonder if I am goin to find some that just don't go. AAAACH, I was just worried about what color to make my sashing. CRAP.

ckcowl 09-07-2012 02:55 PM

awwww- don't stress over it all- still plenty of time to decide on sashing fabric--and as you lay out your blocks they will all go together beautifully! if you had one that (screamed) at you- you would have known from the beginning- i new as soon as i finished the blocks---but at the time just put them with the others anyway thinking---i will remake that one before i'm done. (i kind of hoped the Hawaii would grow on me-but it didn't-and hubby didn't like that one either) so---
anyway-if you don't have any yet that you just don't like don't worry about it- they must all be just fine :thumbup:
i've been (tossing around) the idea of embroidering the state name & year it joined the union on each one---jury's still out- & put them in alphabetical order? or in the order of statehood? put them on point? or straight set? so many decisions...every now & then i wish i hadn't decided to use black for all of my backgrounds---but then at the same time am glad i did---some blocks were difficult to figure out (like my horrible failure of Iowa!) it's been quite a journey :)
i have mine pinned together in rows of 7 with the top block tacked to my sewing room wall - up near the ceiling- side by side- so i am just working on row 6. it's nice to walk by & glance in & see them (hanging around)
some of them seem to 'glow' :D
anyhow---don't stress over it- it will be fine!