Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/affairs-heart-cyber-sew-2011-a-t95413.html)

QuiltswithConvicts 03-30-2011 05:20 PM

There isn't too much quilting - mostly just around every piece in the ditch, so to speak. I did straight stitch at the 6 1/2" square area. Since there isn't much area left plain, I thought any quilting wouldn't look so good on these small blocks.

Fabric Galore 03-30-2011 06:07 PM

I finally found some DMC embroidery thread at Michael's yesterday. I bought the rayon thread in gold; I've never worked with it before but it feels nice and I thought a soft sheen would look good against the black background. I will probably use the QAYG method but I do it the way Georgia Bonesteel teaches with one difference; I cut the back square 1/2" larger than my front block. I am making 10 1/2" blocks so my backing will be 11" square. I sew the front squares together with a 1/4" seam, trim the batting so it butts together and lies flat and then I fold the backing under and I blind stitch the seam by hand. The extra 1/2" makes sure I enough fabric to overlap properly on the back.

luvmortherest 03-30-2011 07:11 PM

Lesley, thank you so much for putting pictures of how you are doing these. i think they are going to help me a great deal.

lynnie k 03-30-2011 08:40 PM

Ok ladies I need help with block#14 I am making the smaller block and I have no idea on how to even attempt to make block 14 The little scrolls are kicking butt at my house.I have had no trouble with the other blocks on the list but I can't get the little scrolly things any help would be appreciated. I am doing the blocks by hand

luvmortherest 03-30-2011 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie k
Ok ladies I need help with block#14 I am making the smaller block and I have no idea on how to even attempt to make block 14 The little scrolls are kicking butt at my house.I have had no trouble with the other blocks on the list but I can't get the little scrolly things any help would be appreciated. I am doing the blocks by hand

if you go to where they are putting the pictures of the individual blocks and find block 14 Lesley put up pics of how she did this block.

hope that helps.

Lacelady 03-31-2011 02:01 AM

Lynnie, you have me mystified, Block 14 doesn't have any scrolls unless you mean the embroidered ones. Could it be #13 you are doing?

Butterflyspain 03-31-2011 02:04 AM

Think she really means block 17 Its easy to get mixed up with the numbers. Thats the one I am about to tackle may take some more time than the others so far

Lacelady 03-31-2011 04:10 AM

Yes, that would make more sense.

lynnie k 03-31-2011 06:19 AM

sorry it is block #17 having a fit with this block

Lacelady 03-31-2011 07:01 AM

sorry it is block #17 having a fit with this block

Anything in particular I can help with? i.e. if my pics don't make sense? At least with that particular scroll, you don't have to get it down right to a point, because it can tuck under the other shape that covers up the end.

Also, because you can't necessarily line it up exactly, don't snip right into the inside of the curl until you get there. Try cutting out the scroll from your paper copied design, putting it onto your fabric and tracing round it, then lining it up in place over the traced line on your background. I usually put a pin in the fatter part of the scroll (from the back so my thread doesn't catch on it) just to help hold it in place. Then I start from the base of the scroll. If you are a rightie, start at the bottom of the scroll that is heading in towards the inside of the curl. Start on the other (outer) side if you are a leftie.

I do find going round the outside edge of a scroll a little easier than beginning on the inside, but it all depends on which way the scroll is going, and which hand is dominant.

Either way, as you approach that inner point, just snip a little bit at a time until you get right to the change of direction. You will only have a few threads to tuck under, and will have to put several tiny stitches at that point to secure everything before you go down the last 'side' - hope that helps.