Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/affairs-heart-cyber-sew-2011-a-t95413.html)

sandpat 07-07-2011 05:16 PM

I think its your own quilt and you can do whatever you'd like to it! I am loving that all of us are "tweaking" it to suit us. All the same quilt, but our end products will be so interesting to see as they are going to be so different!

Ducky 07-08-2011 01:47 PM

No quilt police, but perhaps the quilt CIA...........(mwahahahaha)

I'm still only on my 4th block, and I've followed her patterns. I think once I'm feeling more comfortable with the new things (i.e. reverse applique, doing the innies and outies of the commas/swirlies) I can feel more comfortable in tweaking the pattern.

The reverse applique sure takes a longer time to do, but I like the different "textured" look of it. I couldn't figure out why my points were turning out fuzzy, but I realized that I'm using a looser weave fabric (my Shadow Play) instead of the batiks. Thanks to Patti for mentioning toothpicks to poke threads in underneath!

Lacelady 07-08-2011 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Ducky
No quilt police, but perhaps the quilt CIA...........(mwahahahaha)

I'm still only on my 4th block, and I've followed her patterns. I think once I'm feeling more comfortable with the new things (i.e. reverse applique, doing the innies and outies of the commas/swirlies) I can feel more comfortable in tweaking the pattern.

The reverse applique sure takes a longer time to do, but I like the different "textured" look of it. I couldn't figure out why my points were turning out fuzzy, but I realized that I'm using a looser weave fabric (my Shadow Play) instead of the batiks. Thanks to Patti for mentioning toothpicks to poke threads in underneath!

Perhaps some starch might help Ducky.

sandpat 07-08-2011 04:38 PM

Right Ducks...sometimes my technique is toothpick turn applique! Your work is so pretty and perfect, you will be tweaking pattern for yourself before you know it!

Lesley, do you paint the starch on the piece before you start sewing it down? I've used it when I pre-prepare pieces, but haven't tried using it when just needle turning the piece.

pab58 07-08-2011 08:10 PM

Well, I have finished the reverse applique (actually I finished it a few hours ago :wink: ), and I was absolutely amazed by it! I kept asking my dear stitchin' friend why I seem to be able to needle-turn the reverse applique so much better than when I have all those pieces to needle-turn. :shock: It went so smoothly for me, and I can't for the life of me figure out the reason why!! :roll: I actually kinda like doing the reverse applique better. OMGoodness!!!! Did I REALLY just make that statement!!!????:shock: I am pretty happy with it even if the points and dips are still not as nice as I want them to be. 8-)

JudyG 07-08-2011 09:33 PM

I enjoyed the reverse applique too. In fact, I did it on Block 12 too even though it wasn't meant to be that way. I reverse appliqued the small hearts onto the larger hearts just to do something different.

Originally Posted by pab58
Well, I have finished the reverse applique (actually I finished it a few hours ago :wink: ), and I was absolutely amazed by it! I kept asking my dear stitchin' friend why I seem to be able to needle-turn the reverse applique so much better than when I have all those pieces to needle-turn. :shock: It went so smoothly for me, and I can't for the life of me figure out the reason why!! :roll: I actually kinda like doing the reverse applique better. OMGoodness!!!! Did I REALLY just make that statement!!!????:shock: I am pretty happy with it even if the points and dips are still not as nice as I want them to be. 8-)

sandpat 07-09-2011 05:19 AM

Cograts Patty! I'm glad you got it done,learned something new AND liked it! I was nervous about it being so narrow, but sounds like you did great with it!

Ducky 07-09-2011 06:55 AM

I actually enjoyed the reverse applique, also. It just took me a little longer, trying to get the points and dips to work out. I love the look of it.

pab58 07-09-2011 11:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I thought I would post a pic of my reverse applique. For my first time EVER, I don't think it turned out too badly! :-D :-D It's certainly not perfection, but I'm pretty pleased with it! :thumbup:

Judy, I'll have to check out block #12. I just might like to do the same!!

ann clare 07-09-2011 01:30 PM

Looks very good.