Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter "Easy Street" thread? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/bonnie-hunter-easy-street-thread-t206174.html)

Belfrybat 12-01-2012 07:14 AM

Does anyone have the rulers she uses for flying geese and are they easier than the four patch method? I accidentally cut too many b/w strips and hate to waste them. But unless the rulers are really easier than the 4 patch, I'll go with that method and hope the b/w strips will be used later in the quilt.

Fraew 12-01-2012 08:41 AM

I have the rulers. I found them at Joann's for half off last weekend. Not as speedy as other methods but I like the minimal waste and I can adjust the seam allowance to what I want.

NDQuilts 12-01-2012 08:44 AM

This is the sixth time I've tried to reply. Kids keep pressing buttons while I type. Anyway, I like the rulers. My first time to use them, and as long as I cut carefully, I am getting correct sizes with no sliver trimming. I like, for this stage of life, not having to do math. Obviously, I am frequently distracted and using a regularly sized strip is a plus. I like having to only cut once and having half the dog ears already trimmed. So anyway, if your strips are already cut, and you have the rulers give them a try. If you are uncomfortable with them or can't get ahold of them then go with what you know. I used 8 strips of background and 8 of color for the geese.

Did you cut your background bricks yet? They will use up some of those strips you already have. I think it will be 5 or 6 at WOF.

Xtgirl 12-01-2012 08:47 AM

I think it would be good to get the rulers since you already cut some 2 inch strips. They were quite inexpensive with a Joann's coupon..I think it would cost about 8 dollars total if you had someone use a coupon while you used one. I ordered initially from amazon and it was much more expensive. Do you have a Joann's near you? It looks much simpler using rulers and less fabric waste, but I'm impressed with those who did it without!

Honchey 12-01-2012 08:58 AM

I do all the placing, pinning, assembling the squares while watching TV...go to the machine to sew the seams...back to the couch to clip, then scissor cut the center line, finger press then start the next step in the assembly...The only problem I find is that you cannot anticipate the cutting of any future pieces..with step 2 Bonnie let us know at the end we will need 64 2"x3.5"black on white triangles for step 3...I've never done a Mystery before and almost cut 2" strips of all the b/w fabric..that would have been a big mistake!! Now I realize that there will be different cuts within each color so I have to cut just what is needed...For step 2, I figured out that you need 32 4.25" squares. I have 9-12 purples so I know to cut 3 & 4 squares from each one...depending on how much fabric I have of each...

Suzanne in VT 12-02-2012 04:16 AM

I have been sitting on the fence about this mystery, but think I might jump in and "play".

I have a room full of fabric, but think I'm going to do a non-scrappy version of it. What I mean is all my background fabric will be the same, all my purple fabric will be the same, etc. (well, I'm not using purple, but you know what I mean).

I wonder how it will look with all the fabrics the same??

Suzanne

Belfrybat 12-02-2012 06:46 AM

Thank you for the ruler critique. Unfortunately the closest JoAnn's is over 160 miles away. But I did borrow an EZ Flying Geese ruler from the LQS yesterday. It works similar to Bonnie's, but all on one ruler. I've cut all the pieces and have begun to sew the right hand side. The couple of completed trial ones I made came out OK, and like others have mentioned, I like not having a bunch of slivers left over. Hope to be finished today.

fatquarters 12-02-2012 09:32 AM

I really want to play easy street with you gals...but am committed to finishing christmas gifts. oh well ill just sit in the bleachers and cheer!!!!

quiltsRfun 12-02-2012 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by fatquarters (Post 5693602)
I really want to play easy street with you gals...but am committed to finishing christmas gifts. oh well ill just sit in the bleachers and cheer!!!!

You could download the instructions and jump on board when the time is more convenient. That's what I've decided to do.

JeanieG 12-02-2012 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Suzanne in VT (Post 5693029)
I have been sitting on the fence about this mystery, but think I might jump in and "play".

I have a room full of fabric, but think I'm going to do a non-scrappy version of it. What I mean is all my background fabric will be the same, all my purple fabric will be the same, etc. (well, I'm not using purple, but you know what I mean).

I wonder how it will look with all the fabrics the same??

Suzanne

Suzanne - several people on Yahoo's quiltvillechat group are doing theirs like you want to do. I'm sure it will come out just fine! Go for it!