Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter "Easy Street" thread? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/bonnie-hunter-easy-street-thread-t206174.html)

gardnergal970 12-08-2012 05:46 AM

Once you get the 4 patch made and before you do any pressing, go to the back and take out about 2 stitches of the seams that you crossed with the last seam when you joined the two. After those two stitches are removed, lay the 4 patch flat face down and that last seam will almost effortlessly go opposite ways and you will see the cute little checker pattern where the seams meet. If it doesn't go flat, there might be another stitch that needs to be removed. Now press with half of the seam going north and half of the seam going south. I didn't understand this well for awhile either but now that I finally figured it out, I like the finish I get with that extra step.
BTW...I have step three completed except for pressing about half of the blocks. Loved working with another color and can't wait to see what we do with the green.

Belfrybat 12-08-2012 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Suzanne in VT (Post 5705515)
I'm going to shock everyone, but I'm not going to do step #3 her way. I own those rulers, but just can do things her way (maybe she is right brained and I am left brained). That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it ;)
I'm going to do HST's (half square triangles), so mine will end up being a 4 patch. Top row will be a square on the left and a HST on the right. Bottom row will be a HST on the left and a square on the right.
Suzanne in VT

No shock here -- but I would like to see in-the-works pics. I don't have her rulers but do a have flying geese one I used for the last step but still ended up with a bunch of wonky geese (about 1 in 6).

Originally Posted by Xtgirl (Post 5705525)
Suzanne-could you post picture of your way..or the end result. I'm intrigued. I'm still on step 1....

Could someone explain the spinning of the seam/pinwheeling the seam. I read the explanations and I just don't understand what she means. I am sewing tithe same every time with the dark fabric leading....

It took me a while to understand it. But if you gentle pull on the center of the block where the seams meet, and then twist it a bit, it begins to form the pinwheel. It only works one way, and it took me a bit to figure that out. But once I did it was easy and I like the fact the center lays flat.

brookemarie19 12-08-2012 06:46 AM

I was on the quiltville yahoo group this morning and saw that someone is doing their step 3 differently from bonnie. If you don't have the special rulers this would be an easy way to go. I might do this anyways as I wouldn't have to worry about the bias this way as much either.
www.stitchingcircle.com/?p=1270

katybob 12-08-2012 07:04 AM

Thanks, Brookmarie. I've never seen this technique and I can't wait to try it. I've already cut Step 3, but maybe she'll do the same block with the green fabric.

gardnergal970 12-08-2012 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by brookemarie19 (Post 5705854)
I was on the quiltville yahoo group this morning and saw that someone is doing their step 3 differently from bonnie. If you don't have the special rulers this would be an easy way to go. I might do this anyways as I wouldn't have to worry about the bias this way as much either.
www.stitchingcircle.com/?p=1270

That looks really easy.

SheriR 12-08-2012 08:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Suzanne in VT (Post 5705515)
I'm going to do HST's (half square triangles), so mine will end up being a 4 patch. Top row will be a square on the left and a HST on the right. Bottom row will be a HST on the left and a square on the right.

I would love your measurements. You make it sound easy.

THAT being said...I cut step 2 and step 3 WITH Bonnie's rulers. Last year they drove me nutty, but for some reason, this year I get Her. I like zero waste and IF I cut accurately, my geese turned out great. Last night I HAD to see how my red played with my purple. Everything was cut so I quickly sewed a few up. I must say, I'm excited!! Below are pictures for step 1 complete and the start of step 2

quiltsRfun 12-08-2012 08:36 AM

Sheri, your colors are great!

Fraew 12-08-2012 09:37 AM

SheriR that's gonna be really pretty! I wasn't brave enough to pick my own colors for my first mystery. It takes alot of bravery for me to let Bonnie pick my pattern and colors! He He

SheriR 12-08-2012 10:46 AM

Every year at valentines day, when I shop at my Macy's they decorate in red and purple. I just have fallen in love with the colors! I hope they end up happy together!:D

Xtgirl 12-08-2012 10:48 AM

Thanks, that makes a lot more sense than the blog..now I can try it. I'm still in the middle of sewing step 1 so it may still be a while.

Originally Posted by gardnergal970 (Post 5705678)
Once you get the 4 patch made and before you do any pressing, go to the back and take out about 2 stitches of the seams that you crossed with the last seam when you joined the two. After those two stitches are removed, lay the 4 patch flat face down and that last seam will almost effortlessly go opposite ways and you will see the cute little checker pattern where the seams meet. If it doesn't go flat, there might be another stitch that needs to be removed. Now press with half of the seam going north and half of the seam going south. I didn't understand this well for awhile either but now that I finally figured it out, I like the finish I get with that extra step.
BTW...I have step three completed except for pressing about half of the blocks. Loved working with another color and can't wait to see what we do with the green.