Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Block Party - January 2012 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/dear-jane-stickle-2d-cyber-block-party-january-2012-a-t162737.html)

Chay 11-12-2011 04:56 AM

I mentioned this in a reply waaayyy back in this thread, but I'll repeat that using an add-a-quarter ruler is much faster than trying to use a regular ruler when doing freezer paper paper piecing. It takes all the guesswork out because you just butt the ruler against the fabric and cut; no eyeballing necessary. I am a skeptic about notions, it's easy to collect many that aren't really useful but that add-a-quarter ruler is a good one.

GV09 11-12-2011 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Cre8tvlwyr (Post 4666350)
Gladys -
Welcome!! If I'm not mistaking - you are the relatively new to AOTH world quilter who just put that beautiful block on the site
http://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-...95413-192.html

you should all take a look - and scroll down... amazing!!

Hi, Cre8tvlwyr!
Thanks for your welcome!
Yes, I am the new girl in AOTH!
I love appliqué and embroidery, and love that designs!
I'm going slowly through each block ... but I really enjoy the trip!
A big hug!

GV09 11-12-2011 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Anael (Post 4666925)
@Gladys: your AOTH blocks are gorgeous! No stitches visible, how do you do that?

Our DJ group is growing! It's great to be amoung so many who want to make/finish this quilt.

Hi, Anael!
Thank you very much!
I think it's a matter of practice, is greatly improved by doing so often.
And I think the tips they give me more results to me are: 1) using the line closest to the color of the fabric is applied, 2) that the needle and thread are the finest you can handle and 3 ) that always comes stitch the folded edge of the application, not up, not down.
A hug!

GV09 11-12-2011 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat (Post 4667992)
Gladys, thats a nice link for the freeze paper piecing, thanks for providing it.

You flatter me on my Chocolate Jane...I'll be interested to watch yours being born!

Hi, Sandpat!
You are my "Chocolate Mom" for ever!
You made me fall in love with your Dear Jane!
And this place and your work make me believe that quilt is possible to me.
I want to try!
I hope not to disappoint!
A big hug!

Anael 11-12-2011 07:23 AM

There are no disappointments, only possibilities and freedom of creation :D I thought I should be as close to perfect as possible but I am not and I don't want to be. Takes away all the fun of quilting and I learned to allow myself to make mistakes. As a child I never was allowed to make mistakes and it took me about 50 years to learn to accept myself the way I am but I did.
That doesn't mean my ripper isn't my closest friend when it comes to quilting :D :D

janice1120 11-12-2011 07:58 AM

Have never done a Block of the Month. Do you post a list of fabrics before you start? How do we get the patterns?

luvmortherest 11-12-2011 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by janice1120 (Post 4670265)
Have never done a Block of the Month. Do you post a list of fabrics before you start? How do we get the patterns?

we are doing the Jane Stickle quilt. to do this quilt you will need the book or the software. if you google "Dear Jane" you should be able to find what you need. alse if you read back in this thread there are several people who posted websites to get the book and or softwre. i personall love the software as you can pring the block you want right from you computer.

hope this helps.

wendanik1 11-12-2011 09:32 AM

HI
I am interested very much so, and have not purchased the software yet. Was wondering if anyone knows if it is compatible with a mac computer. I have looked at the site to purchase it and cannot find where it specifies PC only or mac compatibel as well. Also, someone mentioned earlier about the fabric being available by Brenda on her website and I did look there at the fat quarter bundle listed as DJ II - does any one have enough info to tell me how many bundles I would need? I would like to get all my block fabric from one place if possible and I can worry about the background fabric after that. I am really excited you guys are doing this. I just need to know how much fabric I need for the blocks and how much needs to be different or do most folks use the same fabric in many blocks?
Thanks!

Wenda

Cre8tvlwyr 11-12-2011 01:54 PM

I have a PC - sorry can't answer the Mac question Wenda. As for the amount of fabric - I figured out you probably need somewhere in the neighborhood of 28 fat quarters and an additional 7 yards of background fabric[s]. You could use a selection of off-white or white variations for the background [or darks - whatever you choose.] There are 7yards of fabric in 28 fat quarters. So - if you were to get 'fat eighths' you would need 56 of them and so forth - just figure you will probably be needing a total of approx 14 yards - 7 + 7contrasting background. I wouldn't stress too much over whether you have enough in the beginning myself. The blocks taken individually require so little fabric & finish so small, that you will not have a problem adding another fabric at a later time. Just remember Jane Stickle had no resources to pick up lots of the same fabric. Seriously, if you wanted to, you could go into your scrap bin and do each block out of something you already have and it would look spectacular!

Welcome to the group!

Anael - GREAT attitude!! I love it! The joy is in the journey and we all succeed because we take that journey and try -- and it at least needs to give us pleasure and relaxation!!
Gus

Anael 11-12-2011 02:19 PM

Wenda, I've had a look at the software requirements and you need MIcrosoft Windows to install. You could ask the EQ Company if there's software available for a mac.