Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 05-01-2011, 01:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JudyG
I have finished enough blocks for the center of my quilt and hopefully can post a picture tomorrow. I am attaching a picture of what I am considering for the small borders of my quilt (which I think will be 2-1/4 in wide, but am not sure yet for sure). What do you guys think of this for small borders with my blue mirage?
I love the fabric Judy, very nice. But why that width of narrow border? I've forgotten if you are doing an on point version, if so, then your layout will be whatever you want it to be. But if you are doing the layout as per the book, 2.25in wide narrow border will throw out your final large border quite a bit.

I spend all of yesterday working out mine, which is how I know. I'll post some pics here as soon as I have them sorted. Back soon.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:59 AM
Power Poster

OK, here it is in the planning

I think at this stage it needed to be turned round, but I was only checking for length
[ATTACH=CONFIG]191393[/ATTACH]

12in high, 11in across, I got 7 triangles from a 12in strip across my border fabric
[ATTACH=CONFIG]191394[/ATTACH]

Front, first curl done, second tacked/basted
[ATTACH=CONFIG]191395[/ATTACH]

Reverse of above pic. Using these triangles is going to save me a lot of fabric
[ATTACH=CONFIG]191397[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-191387.jpe   attachment-191388.jpe   attachment-191389.jpe   attachment-191391.jpe  
Old 05-01-2011, 02:02 AM
Power Poster

This is the block I made from start to finish on Royal Wedding day while my backside was glued to the sofa. No white batik (is there such a thing?) so I substituted palest pink. I also outlined the hearts with embroidery, in honour of the day.

Block 6
[ATTACH=CONFIG]191387[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-191381.jpe  
Old 05-01-2011, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

Judy...I can't believe you are at that point already!! So you've already done your "extra" blocks??? I like your border...have you laid it all out with your blocks? I had one picked out and was really happy with it, then laid everything out and it just washed out...*pout*...I had to start over and find something really strong that kind of pops. I can't wait to see how you are coming with the blocks laid out...on point..you will be the 1st!

Lesley...your quilt is taking my breath away! I may have to do another one of these in the brights/black and do a smaller wall hanging. You narrow borders look just fabulous girl!! Love your block too...its funny...your flash made some of your pieces look like white batik on my monitor...LOL!
Old 05-01-2011, 09:36 AM

Absolutely stunning, Lesley. I can't believe how far along you are. How wide are your small borders? I believe she used 1" or just a little larger for the 7" blocks in the wallhanging, but I thought I needed a wider small border since I am using 10" blocks and making a queen size quilt. Of course, I may change my mind when I actually get to that point.

I haven't yet purchased that fabric, I just saw it online the other day and liked it and thought it would make a nice small border if I don't make something really special like Lesley did. I'm going to order it and see if it works. If it doesn't work for the border, you may see it in future applique pieces!

Actually, Patti, I think Elle was the first to post her center on point. But here are my first 18 blocks layed out on point. Still haven't decided whether to sash or not. How do you go about deciding which block goes where?????

As an aside - my DH (?the D) came in while I was laying them out and wanted to know what I was doing with those "weird things you've been making." He's not on my favorites list right now.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-191561.jpe  
Old 05-01-2011, 09:43 AM

Gorgeous Judy, but I didn´t have mine all embroidered so I can´t claim to have mine totally finished like you, so i hand you this crown.. lol I love all your blocks laid out, have you decided what to do with the 1/2 square triangles, inquiring minds want to know
Old 05-01-2011, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
Gorgeous Judy, but I didn´t have mine all embroidered so I can´t claim to have mine totally finished like you, so i hand you this crown.. lol I love all your blocks laid out, have you decided what to do with the 1/2 square triangles, inquiring minds want to know
I'm going to try the trapunto that Patti did the tutorial on. I posted the design a while back, but I'm not sure which thread it was on. Here it is again. Right now I'm trying to decide what to use for batting and backing. I've spent hours looking for both online. I can't really do the trapunto until I get both those things. (of course I need to spend the time I'm waiting for those after I order them to spend practicing freehand machine quilting as I am not good at that at all).

Heart with feathers
[ATTACH=CONFIG]191616[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-191610.jpe  
Old 05-01-2011, 12:34 PM

Oh I can see that working very well. I do like trapunto but like you have never tried it before. I really can´t do FMQ either and I am not about to try, so will probably hand quilt this one too.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:15 PM

Judy - your blocks are beautiful, and your quilt point on point will no doubt be spectacular.

I did try trapunto, and I found the polyester batting (left side of pic) was best, the cotton batting (right side of pic) left a border around the stitching line, (I used children scissors - blunt end - so you do not accidently cut the stitching line) but the poly batt I just poked in through the back of my block. My husband made me a "poker" out of a wooden chop stick, as you need to tuck it in close to the points - I overstuffed mine, and that really pulled the fabric - I overlaid the block with organza which will really dull your block - I found it was not difficult, just never got back to finishing this one.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-191664.jpe  
Old 05-01-2011, 01:23 PM

That looks spectacular, I must givethis a try. Yet another thing to add to the list of want to doos