Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 92 of 170 FirstFirst ... 42 82 91 92 93 102 142 ... LastLast
Results 2,276 to 2,300 of 4243

Thread: Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Blog Entries
    For people still trying to figure out how to do their hand applique, Sharon Schamber has a youtube video on how she does needleturn. Instead of freezer paper which has to be removed, she uses a fusible web and Elmer's glue. It was very interesting. She specifically does some tiny points and innie points. She stabilizes the innie points with Elmer's glue and boy she had a nice point. Here's the link if you're interested in her ideas. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEeirIl1Acs I posted this link a few days ago on one of the block threads, but don't know how many might have seen it and it is well worth watching since we all need all the help we can get.

Blog Entries
    Poor Ducks.....I think that taping your fab and leaving more allowance will cure your problem though. Quit gritting your teeth...duck orthodontics are NOT cheap!!

Judy, thanks for that link again..I have to find time to watch it...I think it is almost an hour!

Quote Originally Posted by Ducky
    Jinny Beyer fabrics are my absolute favorites (aside from batiks). I have four different fabrics that I haven't been able to make myself cut into yet. I think that it is a great idea to use something of hers for the border!!!!

I am on my 2nd go-around with Block #8. I've traced on the background and also on the middle section. I keep ending up with one side where the tracing marks don't match. I don't think I was seeing well enough with the lightbox, so instead of using it, I have put the fluorescent bulb under my clear quilting extenion table. That gives me "cleaner" light. ***gritting my teeth and reminding myself that this is just yet another learning experience***
    ohhh, I am learning that if I don't see well and have a steady paw when tracing, that the applique and the swirlies are going to be wonky for sure!
    Man, I have to be a good quilter and an athlete too? :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by Cre8tvlwyr
    Jinny Beyer fabrics are my absolute favorites (aside from batiks). I have four different fabrics that I haven't been able to make myself cut into yet. I think that it is a great idea to use something of hers for the border!!!!

I am on my 2nd go-around with Block #8. I've traced on the background and also on the middle section. I keep ending up with one side where the tracing marks don't match. I don't think I was seeing well enough with the lightbox, so instead of using it, I have put the fluorescent bulb under my clear quilting extenion table. That gives me "cleaner" light. ***gritting my teeth and reminding myself that this is just yet another learning experience***
    OK Ducky..
    I forget what type of lightbox you have?? While I actually do have the Sew-ez table with light insert, I usually dont take the time to remove my machine to use it and go with Marilyn's [LQS owner] suggestion. She takes a project box - some clear-ish plastic box with a "tap" light inside - you could even put two inside. Close box after tapping on :lol: tape your pattern down to box top and tape your background on top of that so it doesnt move. Then I use one of the washable fabric markers like clover - or the white pencil on dark fabrics to mark pattern. The key is to tape it down so it doesnt move and have enough light coming through so you can see. If I get too anxious - I scwew up :oops:
    I'm not Ducky, lol...but I have been taping...guess I need a valium too. I'm slipping and sliding with the big "M" right now! grr!
    anybody got a cure for that? :wink:

ducky, heyyyy girl, i didn't know you were doin " AOTH". your on 8,wow.i'm just about to starton #1//i'm impressed w/you. i so enjoyed meetin you, "kindred spirits" ya know...
    do you have any tidbits of info to share.. i'm really kinda anxious about doin this. i've never worked on black or done meedle turn applique...oh well, i'll soon learn or change over to machine applique..LOL!!!!molly

Hi, Molly! Wow, I didn't realize you were doing this, either! Now we can compare notes. I'm on my third block (which is #8), and having a tad bit of trouble matching my tracing lines. Think I've gotten the problem figured out, though. It's the first time I've ever done needleturn applique, so it's truly a learning experience.

Quote Originally Posted by sewnmom
    ducky, heyyyy girl, i didn't know you were doin " AOTH". your on 8,wow.i'm just about to starton #1//i'm impressed w/you. i so enjoyed meetin you, "kindred spirits" ya know...
    do you have any tidbits of info to share.. i'm really kinda anxious about doin this. i've never worked on black or done meedle turn applique...oh well, i'll soon learn or change over to machine applique..LOL!!!!molly
    just watched the video, although I am doing my stitching by machine. She doesn't remove the freezer paper. Is this going to make her appliques stiff?
    As small as those pieces were it would seem impossible to get the paper out, but she did things with those pieces that I thought, "man I have to see this"...and voila,...she did it.
    She mentioned she has tremors and she still did an awesome job...but remember...she's a professional...Mousie is not a professional. Ok, mousie, you went there for tips, not to make yourself more noivus. just breathe and do your best gf!
    a little pep-talk there! ;-)
    oh, didn't mean to do a quote...sorry.
    Maybe I should go in closet and talk to meece-self! :roll:

Hi Mousie - I watched the video also and I think it was a fibre based product not paper so she just left it in. It wasn't a product I am familiar with but I am sure someone else will have more info on it.

It sure is amazing watching her with those tiny pieces.

I watched the video again, too. I have really liked all of Sharon Schamber's tutorials. I've used the one on binding. I would like to find the finger coddles that she uses....they'd come in handy.

I watched the video again, too. I have really liked all of Sharon Schamber's tutorials. I've used the one on binding. I would like to find the finger coddles that she uses....they'd come in handy.
    Ducky, I love you...I was thinking that too, but forgot to mention it.
    I do hand sewing on bindings and hems and get poked deep in my thumb by the 'eye' end of the needle!
    Watching her video made me really want to do my quilt by needle turn, but I know my body would squawk and squawk and sqwawk!!!
    It will do it at the machine, but I will get up and have more done, so I won't feel as bad taking a break.
    Oh the joy of being a quilter, lol...I guess y'all know, most of us have multi-faceted personalities!!! :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Deecee
    Hi Mousie - I watched the video also and I think it was a fibre based product not paper so she just left it in. It wasn't a product I am familiar with but I am sure someone else will have more info on it.

It sure is amazing watching her with those tiny pieces.
    thanks, deecee...i needed to know somebody was here and well...I was having a moment! you helped.
    got me smiling now...remember that old commercial with the little girl...her mama cooked and she said in a heavy southern accent, "And I haalped!" :lol:

Blog Entries
    I watched the Sharon Schamber tute on YouTube and I ordered the light weight backing and the glue tips. I finally started on the first block yesterday. I improvised with freezer paper and a washable glue stick. It worked good but I am still having trouble with the inner curve on the hearts. I finally got the points figured out. I will try to finish the block this week. I only work for 2 hours at a time so it will probably take me a week to do a block.

Blog Entries
    I would love to find the finger coddles also. I thought I would look in an office supply store. I know that bank tellers use them to count money.
    :roll: :roll: :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by Fabric Galore
    I would love to find the finger coddles also. I thought I would look in an office supply store. I know that bank tellers use them to count money.
    hey, what a great idea Fab! thanks :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    I've GOT to find the time to watch the silly video!! I can do the points just fine now...its the "innie" that makes me grit my teeth! The other day, DH told me that I was sitting on the couch and making funny faces...moving my lips all around, gritting my teeth, sticking my tongue out. He thinks its a new goofy habit..I guess it is, it happens when I am sewing scrolls. Thank goodness he doesn't know how to run the vidoe recorder!

Blog Entries
    She says in the video you can get the finger coddles from Purple Daisy LLC. She said if you don't see them on the website, to email them. They also have the lightweight applique stabilizer that she uses. I guess Purple Daisy carries pretty much everything Sharon Schamber uses, plus her videos, etc.

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I would like to find the finger coddles that she uses....they'd come in handy.
    I found some at WalMart. Their called finger COTS & are in the office supply section. The package has bunches of them in it & they're cheap! Didn't buy any, so I don't know how many are in the package or how much they are, though.

Purple Daisies are very expensive and the cots dont actually sit on the fingers as well as what Sue Nickels uses - dishwashing gloves' finger tips!! She buys the yellow dishwashing gloves in a size smaller than you would want on your whole hand and cuts off just the tips. Haven't tried that one yet either, but I did take a class from her and she [who is a magnificent quilter] swears by them.

Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    I've GOT to find the time to watch the silly video!! I can do the points just fine now...its the "innie" that makes me grit my teeth! The other day, DH told me that I was sitting on the couch and making funny faces...moving my lips all around, gritting my teeth, sticking my tongue out. He thinks its a new goofy habit..I guess it is, it happens when I am sewing scrolls. Thank goodness he doesn't know how to run the vidoe recorder!
    yes, watch the video, Sharon has this great needle under sweeping motion that she does and sometimes she holds the needle from the opposite direction and finger presses the edge after. She's great!

Purple Daisies are very expensive and the cots dont actually sit on the fingers as well as what Sue Nickels uses - dishwashing gloves' finger tips!! She buys the yellow dishwashing gloves in a size smaller than you would want on your whole hand and cuts off just the tips. Haven't tried that one yet either, but I did take a class from her and she [who is a magnificent quilter] swears by them.
    Great idea about using rubber gloves. I have a box of latex gloves that I might dig into.

Great idea about using rubber gloves. I have a box of latex gloves that I might dig into.
    Sweetduck, you should have hit Gai up for some this past weekend.
    I'm sure she never leaves home without 'em! :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Mousie
    Hehehe, true.....very true.

Sweetduck, you should have hit Gai up for some this past weekend.
    I'm sure she never leaves home without 'em! :lol:

Blog Entries
    Thats a great idea about the gloves...I don't know about using the latex gloves...my box is 1 size fits all and the tips are too big for my fingers so I bet they won't stay on. I'll have to get the samll size of the yellow dishwashing gloves at the Dollar store and try them.

I have a quick question. I have never appliqued on a dark background fabric. I am planning to use black, but am having trouble transferring placement marks to the black so i know where to put my pieces. This is a relatively new experience for me, so any help will be greatly and gratefully appreciated!!

Maureen

Blog Entries
    Maureen, you might want to use a light box of some sort to transfer the design. That is what most of us have done. There are lots of ways to improvise one if you don't have one. I personally use my big square ruler balanced between 2 chair seats with a lamp placed on the floor underneath. Then you will want to tape the pattern down, then tape your fabric down on top and trace your pattern onto your background. Hope that helps.

On another note...I finally was able to watch Sharon's video. Thats a great idea to do the innie points. I'll be trying that. I don't know about using that foundation as I really really want to just be able to "master" the regular needleturn technique.

Page 92 of 170 FirstFirst ... 42 82 91 92 93 102 142 ... LastLast