Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 03-06-2011, 05:08 PM
Power Poster

Well, I've decided for sure that I will be learning to do "real" needleturn (without using freezer paper). I've tried it a little bit and I'm very very slow, but I figure that I'll get better at it by the time we get done with this one!

Debbie, its hard to see with the stabalizer on there, but it looks like you are "getting" it!

Loise..I don't blame you, that will be quicker and will look very neat and clean!

Thought ya'll might like to see my very very expensive light table...keep in mind, its hard to find one like it!! LOL!!!

My fancy smancy light table!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]130988[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-130983.jpe  
Old 03-06-2011, 05:20 PM
Power Poster

Kathy has set up the Virtual section for this cyber sew...here is the link. You will all want to click at the top left of the page where it says "Subscribe" We will be putting all the weekly photo threads in this section. It just makes everything easier to find.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/virtual...jsp?vsnum=1028
Old 03-06-2011, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Kathy has set up the Virtual section for this cyber sew...here is the link. You will all want to click at the top left of the page where it says "Subscribe" We will be putting all the weekly photo threads in this section. It just makes everything easier to find.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/virtual...jsp?vsnum=1028
Patti is just modest - it was her idea to get this all set up. Thanks to PatriceJ, our moderator, it has been done - quickly, too!
Old 03-06-2011, 05:33 PM

Patti - I had chairs just like yours when we lived in New Hampshire & Milwaukee. Left them with the house in Milwaukee as we were moving ourselves & saved on weight as much as possible! They sure were comfortable! Table was round with 2 leaves. How 'bout yours?

I used to do something quite similar to your lightbox, only I used a pull out storm window I took out those 2 leaves from the table. I put a lamp on the floor. I have the same lamp you are using, next to the sewing machine! What I really want is that bendable attachable little light they make for machines, but is so expensive. I think Amazon.com has them for cheaper. Need to check.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Power Poster

Ooooh...Oooohhh Kathy! I just bought one of those bendable lights from sewforless.com. I paid 1/2 price for it and I love that little thing! Thank goodness I had it for doing the pebbling on Jane, it was so helpful!

My table is an antique Maple rectangular drop leaf table. So...no pulling apart, but the storm window is a great idea. I don't have those anymore though.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Debe, Its always a good idea to sort out what method you are going to be doing, and those are great blocks (love your fabric choice). Could you possibly put the stabiliser behind the background so that you don't have to look at all that white until you can wash the blocks, or am I missing something here?
it isn't stabilizer. it helps place the applique so i don't have to trace/place it. I put it on the background so i know where to put my applique and I can just trace the stitches.

I like things I don't have to trace because I am not great at it...so i photocopy the pattern on the applique sheet and place that on the background and then add on top. Then when all is said and done it washes away and there is nothing in between but fabric.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Well, I've decided for sure that I will be learning to do "real" needleturn (without using freezer paper). I've tried it a little bit and I'm very very slow, but I figure that I'll get better at it by the time we get done with this one!

Debbie, its hard to see with the stabalizer on there, but it looks like you are "getting" it!

Loise..I don't blame you, that will be quicker and will look very neat and clean!

Thought ya'll might like to see my very very expensive light table...keep in mind, its hard to find one like it!! LOL!!!
Hey, I like that light table. It's almost as fancy as mine. I'm using the glass out of a picture frame, laying across two 2x4's with an undercounter light underneath it. It works.

I've been working on some needleturn applique, trying it different ways and have decided that I like the backbasting way the best so far. I was having trouble with things not lining up as well as I'd like when I traced the pattern onto the front of the block and traced the individual pieces onto their fabric. But by tracing onto the back and basting each individual piece of fabric where it goes, it works great for me. Still not very good at any of it, but I do enjoy it.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:00 PM

Sandpat: love your lightbox.... :)
Old 03-06-2011, 06:04 PM

Debbie, I love your signature! That is me in a nutshell! I don't clean much - out here the dust is a protective furniture coating. The stuff on the floor is "patina." I only cook because Dh & I get hungry. He computes & I quilt! OK, the bathrooms are the exception - I have a phobia about bathrooms not being clean - but only bathrooms. Maybe that came from living with 3 boys & only 1 bath. I was always cleaning it, sometimes multiple times a day! The next house we bought had 3 & the boys were responsible for their own! I took care of the guest one.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:32 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
I don't clean much - out here the dust is a protective furniture coating. The stuff on the floor is "patina."
Love the way you think. I actually have a sign that reads "Housework won't kill me but I'm not taking any chances!"

For anyone waiting, you can join me in the BUTR club (Bringing Up The Rear) lol. I am a procrastinator by nature, and someone has to be last.