Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 101 of 170 FirstFirst ... 51 91 100 101 102 111 151 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,525 of 4243

Thread: Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Kathy - Looks like the dessert....hang in there. Dust storms can be really bad.

Tha looks bad, so dry and your poor grass, bet it just sucks in that water when you give it some.

Hope you have some rain soon, I hate those dust storms makes everything yucky

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We were really lucky with this storm. A/C was cranking, so all windows, etc. were closed. Dust couldn't get in!!! Today it's supposed to get up to 104º (40ºC) & tomorrow 105º & it's still spring, not summer.

My biggest fear isn't for fires here in Hobbs, but up in the mountains of Cloudcroft & Ruidoso. They are just as dry - not much snow this year, so those stupid tourists will just toss their cig. butts out the window without a second thought. These 2 areas are in the Lincoln National Forest - birthplace of Smokey the Bear.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by candi
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabric Galore
    I posted my photo of my completed block #11 and I tried to post a photo of my completed block #10 but I couldn't find the correct site. I found all of the other AOTH blocks except #10. HELP!
    There you go Losie
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-107714-1.htm

Off to check your 11
    Thanks a lot Candi. I posted my picture of Block #10 and God willing I am going to cut out and mark some more blocks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deecee
    Just out of curiosity - how many started Jane and stuck with it to the end?
    I started it, got one block done and haven't touched it yet. I'm definitely considered a drop-out for that one.

For AOTH, though I am behind, Beth and I worked on it for a few hours last night. She doesn't want to make one for herself, but loved working on it with me. She has a great eye for color.

I am using the Pearle cotton #8 to embroidery my first block but having trouble pulling the embroidery needle through the fabric. Any suggestions as to what kind of needle to use and what size? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilter7x
    Quote Originally Posted by Deecee
    Just out of curiosity - how many started Jane and stuck with it to the end?
    I started it, got one block done and haven't touched it yet. I'm definitely considered a drop-out for that one.

For AOTH, though I am behind, Beth and I worked on it for a few hours last night. She doesn't want to make one for herself, but loved working on it with me. She has a great eye for color.
    You did a block and didn't like it? are you copying me, 7? :XD: :XD: :XD:
    YAY! Beth! it would be so much fun...wait,...what am I talking about? I positively cannot sew with another soul around. I can't stay focused at all.
    Oh well, I bet you guys are having a lot of fun doing that, 7.
    Can't wait to see.
    I just posted my block in progress on #9.
    Will be on it again later.
    Really wanted to come over and get DD to help me with camera.
    I just needed a refresher on how to download, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzy
    I am using the Pearle cotton #8 to embroidery my first block but having trouble pulling the embroidery needle through the fabric. Any suggestions as to what kind of needle to use and what size? Thanks.
    lizzy, I really can't help with that.
    The others will be along shortly and help, I'm sure.
    I considered a thread like that, but thank goodness I didn't go with it, bc my fabric is not the one I thought I was ordering.
    It's ok, and with 11 yards, I was not going to turn around and buy more, but it's a bit thinner than I would have like to work with for this.
    tip: when ordering fabric...make sure if you want a certain designer's fabric, that his name is on it.
    Mine has the same name as a Henry Glass fabric.
    Boy, was I surprised when I opened the box! :shock:
    (yes, I considered sending it back and such, but with so many things keeping me from getting started...)

[quote=Quilter7x
    For AOTH, though I am behind, Beth and I worked on it for a few hours last night. She doesn't want to make one for herself, but loved working on it with me. She has a great eye for color.[/quote]

What fun having someone to fondle fabric with and pool ideas, though I don't know how much sewing I would get done. I would love to have a quilty friend close by.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzy
    You obviously need a needle with a large enough eye to get your thread through it, so it's going to be quite a tug to get that larger eyed needle through fabric, especially if you are using batiks which are more tightly woven. Rubber finger cots on a finger and thumb would give you more grip to hold on to the needle. I use this sort:
    http://www.fingergloves.com/

Lesley - my fingergloves arrived in the mail yesterday. Love the fact you can turn them inside out for a different textured finish. Hoping to try them out today.

I mentioned that I had to make a nappy cake before starting AOTH on one of the block threads and I now can't find where it was.

So, for those who were curious to know what a nappy cake looked like, I am posting the link here.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130279-1.htm#3474443

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That cake is soooo cute!

:oops: I thought I was better at needle turn than this! Grrrrrrrr...... well I guess it has been a couple of years :roll:
    my background fabric keeps bunching up, and I have been TOLD that I dont need a hoop... but I need one for embroidery dont I????
    sigh....... sigh..... sigh..... perhaps all will look brighter in the morning.
    STARCH??? did you ladies starch your background fabric? I havent used the stuff, wouldnt that help???

Blog Entries
    I am having a problem with my embroidery. Perhaps it has already been addressed in an earlier posting. When I complete all of my applique I don't have an accurate way to transfer my embroidery lines to the block. I need help :evil: :evil:

Quote Originally Posted by deranged_damsel
    :oops: I thought I was better at needle turn than this! Grrrrrrrr...... well I guess it has been a couple of years :roll:
    my background fabric keeps bunching up, and I have been TOLD that I dont need a hoop... but I need one for embroidery dont I????
    sigh....... sigh..... sigh..... perhaps all will look brighter in the morning.
    STARCH??? did you ladies starch your background fabric? I havent used the stuff, wouldnt that help???
    I starched my background squares and it helps me. I started off starching all my little pieces and pressing them over my mylar templates. Too time consuming so I'm doing needleturn now without the starch on the little pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
    We were really lucky with this storm. A/C was cranking, so all windows, etc. were closed. Dust couldn't get in!!! Today it's supposed to get up to 104º (40ºC) & tomorrow 105º & it's still spring, not summer.

My biggest fear isn't for fires here in Hobbs, but up in the mountains of Cloudcroft & Ruidoso. They are just as dry - not much snow this year, so those stupid tourists will just toss their cig. butts out the window without a second thought. These 2 areas are in the Lincoln National Forest - birthplace of Smokey the Bear.
    Wow that hot for Spring Kathy. We have flashing notices on the motorways here that say in Spanish not to toss your cigs out of the window, but they are in Spanish and I just wonder how many tourist understand them. I have to say they are very very quick to reacto to fires here. They have the helicopters out and all the Bomberos (firemen) appear from around the area to fight it. I have seen one really nasty one and it scared the living daylights out of me it was in an olive grove, maliciously started, and the trees were exploding, what a sight it was, took ages to get it under control but they did and 2 years later everything is growing again, which I found incredible.

I am having a problem with my embroidery. Perhaps it has already been addressed in an earlier posting. When I complete all of my applique I don't have an accurate way to transfer my embroidery lines to the block. I need help :evil: :evil:
    Losie, I bought a light box and use it to trace the embroidery lines. I know others have come up with creative ideas for a lightbox, like a lamp under a glass table or plexiglass. Also, you could mark them before you start the appliqué if it seems easier on some blocks.

Thank you so much for the advice. Had not thought of using finger tip grippers. Have a good day :-D

Blog Entries
    Dee Cee, I hope you get on well with the finger cots. Losie, I mark out the whole of the design onto my background before I start appliqueing. By the time I have finished, some of the markings have faded a bit, but are still enough to be able to go over them again. If there is some embroidery that needs to go over an app. piece, then that is part of the reason I cut the background away from the back of the app. piece. I can then put it back on my light box with the design underneath it, and mark as before.

If the app. piece is not easy to mark that way, then occasionally I have cut up my copy of the design so that I can lay that over the app. piece in order to mark it. Hope that helps.

sewnmom sent me some finger cots, and I love them! Thank you so much for the wonderful idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Cre8tvlwyr
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltykitty
    I wonder if any of you have finished a block and then decide one or more of the colors just doesn't look good? I have done that on two blocks. I'm finishing up block #11 and redoing two sets of flowers. What I had cut out looked okay until sewn down. Well, I just putter along on this AOTH.
    yep kitty :roll:
    I change...and change...and change at every level. almost done with 9 now - although as I said, I made it too small :?

I will post partially done today [because I got my adapter back...momentarily :thumbup:] I was gonna make upper petals a blue fabric, changed it to yellow and when I started to sew it down, found it didn't 'pop' enough for me and so went to another blue batik instead of print. Then the red flower center I picked out way at the beginning didnt quite do it but I found a Kaffe that tied it all together
    I have done the same thing for the two blocks I have worked on. :x

Lizzy - in case you haven't found that website yet -

http://www.fingergloves.com/

Blog Entries
    I cut out 6 backgrounds on Sunday and traced the patterns on using my light box. I have been working on block #8 this week and I hope to finish it tomorrow. I am finally getting the hang of needle turn applique but my fingers on my left hand are a mess. We finally had some much needed rain the past 2 days; it was beginning to look like a dessert around here and the lakes are so low you can't launch a boat from the ramps. Come on Rain :) :) :)

I cut out 6 backgrounds on Sunday and traced the patterns on using my light box. I have been working on block #8 this week and I hope to finish it tomorrow. I am finally getting the hang of needle turn applique but my fingers on my left hand are a mess. We finally had some much needed rain the past 2 days; it was beginning to look like a dessert around here and the lakes are so low you can't launch a boat from the ramps. Come on Rain :) :) :)
    I second that! Come on rain and go away lightening! We too finally got much needed rain a couple of days ago..accompanied with severe thunderstorms and lightening that the fires spread even more. We walk out to lots of smoke here.

Looking forward to your 8, Losie.

Page 101 of 170 FirstFirst ... 51 91 100 101 102 111 151 ... LastLast