Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 51 of 170 FirstFirst ... 41 50 51 52 61 101 151 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 4243

Thread: Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Quote Originally Posted by SewMomma66
    I am a sort of new quilter. I have have completed four lap quilts and two are in progress. Would this be too hard for me? It looks a bit overwhelming but.... What are your thoughts?
    Jump right in! what is the worst thing that could happen? I am a beginner quilter too, heck just two years didn't even know how to thread a needle period! You'll find lots of help here, and you can go at your own pace..I know that is what I am planning to do. Many on here already jump started the process and have many blocks done,so they'll be posting tips and tricks and helpful hints for us. :thumbup:

Lesley, didn't you post the length of stitch you are using? I'm trying to be consistent with 1/8" (sorry, don't know centimeters), but wow it's hard to stay consistent.

Found ya'll! Had to install new computer protection and lost some of my bookmarks. Got a little panicky. I'm not joining in but I do like to read about the AOTH adventure.

Kitty, you should join us.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducky
    Kitty, you should join us.
    Sorry, I really can't at this time. Just too much to do other than quilting. And my arthritis is acting up something awful. I used the chain saw this week and my right hand is still sore. And that is my dominant hand. Sure puts a crimp in gardening and sewing.

Blog Entries
    Lesley, didn't you post the length of stitch you are using? I'm trying to be consistent with 1/8" (sorry, don't know centimeters), but wow it's hard to stay consistent.
    Not sure if you are meaning applique stitches, or embroidery stitches Ducky. I think I do shorter stitches for the applique, especially round curves, or in the cleavages of hearts. And perhaps a little bit shorter, say 10 to the inch in the stem stitches. I'll try and take pics tomorrow with a tape measure beside them for comparison.

Thanks, Lesley. I am stitching on the fourth large petal. This is going to SUCH a learning process! I keep thinking, "It can't be that hard." But while I'm stitching, I'm amazed at how easily it is to mess up. I will not give up. I will conquer this.

Blog Entries
    Oh goodie...more pics!

I did finally finish the embroidery on that silly block #14 today during the ball game (which we lost by 2 little points...I'm bummed). But I got that block done! DH says it looks ok. At this point I'm apologizing to Aie about my ugly comments about the workmanship on the blocks in the pics...:oops:..I'm thrilled that the pics I show are NOT that close!

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Lesley. I am stitching on the fourth large petal. This is going to SUCH a learning process! I keep thinking, "It can't be that hard." But while I'm stitching, I'm amazed at how easily it is to mess up. I will not give up. I will conquer this.
    What amazes me is that I can be going along and everything is looking really good and then one silly little piece won't do what it's supposed to and I have little points here and there. What's with that? When it's going good, shouldn't it keep on going good?

It has been a great learning experience so far. I am determined to master needleturn.

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Ducks, I only have one piece that will never be cut. It's a fat quarter of Liberty of London fabric that I bought way back in Michigan in 1996 or 1997 or 1998. It is 100% cotton but feels like 100% silk! Nothing special about the pattern - a small floral print, but I bought it just because I liked how it felt! Talk about fondling fabric - I'm surprised there's still enough of it left to feel as I stroked it so much while I was at the expo there, manning my booth!

No, this expo wasn't quilt related, but religion related. I used to work for the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod at the headquarters in Milwaukee. We put on WELS Expos all over the country to bring the Synod to the people, explaining exactly what we did.

I was the divisional secretary for Parish Services - had a bunch of men for bosses & loved every minute of my time there. Only reason I quit was I moved to New Mexico & it was just too long of a comute!

Kathy, my husband's grandfather was a Lutheran minister. Missouri Synod, I believe

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We attending a LC-MS (Missouri Synod) now as the closest WELS congregation is in Lubbock, Texas - over 2 hours away & 1 entire gas tank away!

The Lutheran world is small. The pastor in Lubbock - his wife was in the Parish Services division when I was there. He had been LC-MS, but was turning to WELS & was at the Seminary & she was at the Synod HQ. DH taught at Wisconsin Lutheran College in Milwaukee.

Blog Entries
    Ducky, you asked about the length of my stitches, so pics with tape measure coming up.

Re those of you struggling with smooth curves, smaller stitches will help you to avoid those little points on the curve. Get up as far as the little point, control beyond it with your thumb nail, then poke the point under before you put a stitch in it. If it still won't go, let go of your turning with your thumb and re- turn it. Also, snipping into your turning might help. Not quite as far as the line you want to stitch on, but enough so that each snippet can be turned under, one at a time.

The tighter the curve, the closer the snips. Hope that helps. But keep persevering, because once you have it, I don't think you will ever lose it, and you will wonder why you ever struggled in the first place.

I admire you all for trying, and you will be so proud of yourselves having gained another quilting skill!

The back of my applique stitches
    Name:  Attachment-171750.jpe
Views: 32
Size:  67.0 KB

The back of my stem stitches
    Name:  Attachment-171751.jpe
Views: 32
Size:  53.0 KB

Thank you Lesley. I found, through hard knocks, that the smaller stitches just do better...period.

Blog Entries
    Thank you Lesley. I found, through hard knocks, that the smaller stitches just do better...period.
    You're welcome, Ducky - you know I have never subjected my stitching to such scrutiny for so many people .... this is rather daunting. It's a good job you don't want me to sing, as I don't do that for ANYBODY!

Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    It's a good job you don't want me to sing, as I don't do that for ANYBODY!
    Darn it, Lesley. That was going to be my next request....

Your stiches are fabulous. I'm just learning to hand quilt, omg, you should see my practice piece. It's horrifying!!

I'm thinking if I can get decent with my applique first, then I can ease into hand quilting. And from the looks of my applique, it may be a looooonnnnnggggg time before I tackle hand quilting.

Blog Entries
    I'm thinking if I can get decent with my applique first, then I can ease into hand quilting. And from the looks of my applique, it may be a looooonnnnnggggg time before I tackle hand quilting.
    Rachel, Ducky, don't be so hard on yourselves. We all have to start somewhere, don't we. Several people here are making this quilt because they did applique on their Dear Janes - and they did their struggling on that quilt.

Well, Lesley, this is something I will not give up on. My goal is to do applique well.

Hi Everyone, I have missed you all. Had a great time in Barcelona and Sitges, an amazing quilt show. I will post the pictures when I come to a bit more, just got in and catching up with everything. OMG wait till you see some of the work that I have just seen.......amazing, amazing. Al so have pics of Barcelona and Sitges. Barcelona is a huge city but the architect is beautiful and some building by Goudi.

Elle

Welcome back, Elle! Glad you had a good time. I really can't wait to see pictures of Barcelona....(sigh)

Blog Entries
    Someone was recently asking about upsizing the blocks. I thought she might like to see Block #34 that I upsized to 12" and made for a block in the Row Robin I am doing. I have to say it was nice to work with the bigger blocks. This was the one I did to try Kathy's machine embroidery tutorial and I really liked it.

Block 34 upsized to 12"
    Name:  Attachment-171973.jpe
Views: 25
Size:  50.2 KB

Ooooh, that's lovely, Judy!

Quote Originally Posted by JudyG
    Someone was recently asking about upsizing the blocks. I thought she might like to see Block #34 that I upsized to 12" and made for a block in the Row Robin I am doing. I have to say it was nice to work with the bigger blocks. This was the one I did to try Kathy's machine embroidery tutorial and I really liked it.
    I just commented on that block on our row robin thread - it's nice to see it by itself up close. You really did a beautiful job!

Page 51 of 170 FirstFirst ... 41 50 51 52 61 101 151 ... LastLast