Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 50 of 170 FirstFirst ... 40 49 50 51 60 100 150 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 4243

Thread: Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

  1. #1226
    Super Member luvmortherest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    1,569
    i am trying to do mine scrappy out of my stash but if i see a FQ that i like will probably buy it.

  2. #1227
    Super Member JudyG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wickenburg AZ
    Posts
    2,849
    Blog Entries
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by trish b
    I am making my AOTH with regular fabrics. I am making a test block in 12" size, it is almost finished. My quilt will be 10" blocks so it will fit my bed. From my stash, there could be enough make every piece out of a different fabric. I used to buy lots of 6" block sets which really gives many choices for applique. As far as enlarging the blocks, the ones with many pieces could be made 15" to 18" without loosing the integrity of the design.
    I did one of the blocks as a 12" block and used it for my row robin quilt. It's beautiful at 12" and a lot easier to work with than the smaller ones. After I scanned the block I wanted, I printed it at 200%. Worked great. Of course, on my home printer I could only print one-half of the block, but that was all I needed to be able to transfer it to the fabric.

  3. #1228
    Power Poster sandpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,757
    Blog Entries
    9
    Oh man...I just want to pull my hair out...I'm a "perfectionist"???? Well, maybe..maybe not. I just want the pieces to look decent. For the last 2 nights I have been working on Block #14...everything is fine on my little 7" block except for the stupid petal in the center of the flower!!! Its an easy piece...why oh why can't I get the sides balanced to look the same???? DRAT!!!!! I've put them on and taken them off 2 times already!! OK..I'm through ranting now...I'll get them done tonight LOL.

  4. #1229
    Power Poster Lacelady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    12,323
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    Oh man...I just want to pull my hair out...I'm a "perfectionist"???? Well, maybe..maybe not. I just want the pieces to look decent. For the last 2 nights I have been working on Block #14...everything is fine on my little 7" block except for the stupid petal in the center of the flower!!! Its an easy piece...why oh why can't I get the sides balanced to look the same???? DRAT!!!!! I've put them on and taken them off 2 times already!! OK..I'm through ranting now...I'll get them done tonight LOL.
    Patti, if you put back the outline as you add the earlier petals, you woud have something to follow:

    This is the only block that I didn't stem stitch the whole embroider. The tiny hearts in the centre I did with just plain backstitch
    Name:  Attachment-170857.jpe
Views: 33
Size:  85.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images







  5. #1230
    Power Poster sandpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,757
    Blog Entries
    9
    I know Lesley....I did that, but for some reason I'm having trouble with that one little bit on the flowers. I'll get them on tonight and just leave whatever happens...GRRRRR! You know you can only do something over 3 times...(wasn't that the Jane rule??)

    Thats a good idea about those little hearts...they are so small that I'm thinking I'm going to do them in something other than the Razzle Dazzle...I have some metallic thread that I use for Embroidery..Yelmet I think...I may try that for those teeny hearts.

    BTW...I love your block! Funny..you went from light to dark..I went from dark to light with the full petal showing being my lightest color.- Mine is probably wrong.... :roll: , but it looks ok..

  6. #1231
    Super Member luvmortherest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    1,569
    Patti just like jane i do not think there is a "right" or "wrong" way.
    just you own way.

  7. #1232
    Super Member Ducky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    8,969
    I printed out 10 block patterns, enlarged by 142%. I also ordered a couple of Michael Miller Fairy Frost charm packs to go with my batiks. AND, I ordered 5 colors of Bottom Line thread. My light box is still set up on my cutting table and I will start cutting out the applique patterns this weekend.....at least that is what my plans are. ***The best laid plans of mice and men often go asunder.***

  8. #1233
    Senior Member debe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    357
    Lesley: great demo and great ideas. thanks

  9. #1234
    Power Poster MadQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    ELVERTA, CA
    Posts
    15,169
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks y'all. I brought my book to work today to use the copy machine at lunch. I'm so lucky to have (approved) access to the technologies. Not sure what I will decide yet. Too many other projects are yelling at me - one, for a baby boy born last night to two of my colleagues.


    Ducky, my mom always says: If you want to make God laugh, make a plan. I think that fits too.

  10. #1235
    Power Poster Lacelady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    12,323
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    I know Lesley....I did that, but for some reason I'm having trouble with that one little bit on the flowers. I'll get them on tonight and just leave whatever happens...GRRRRR! You know you can only do something over 3 times...(wasn't that the Jane rule??)

    Thats a good idea about those little hearts...they are so small that I'm thinking I'm going to do them in something other than the Razzle Dazzle...I have some metallic thread that I use for Embroidery..Yelmet I think...I may try that for those teeny hearts.

    BTW...I love your block! Funny..you went from light to dark..I went from dark to light with the full petal showing being my lightest color.- Mine is probably wrong.... :roll: , but it looks ok..
    I should have gone from dark to light, just as you have done, but when I put my darker blue on the black, it got lost and sort of disappeared. I'm sorry you are struggling with that centre petal - how about ironing round a template with some starch, and allowing it to cool - remove it from the template and then sew it down? Try that, it just might work. Good luck!

  11. #1236
    Senior Member Fabric Galore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    966
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Is anyone here NOT doing their ATOH in batiks? Just wondering as I am scanning my scrap bin.

    The other thing I'm wondering: How many are enlarging the pattern? I know Lesley did. Wonder what the most percentage increase the pattern could handle.
    I am using some batiks but I have such a huge stash that I am also using small prints, tone on tones, etc. I have enough fabric to do every piece in a different fabric. I am thinking about making 10" blocks and QAYG. I don't have wall space to hang anymore quilts and I can use this as either a table cloth or on my bed.

  12. #1237
    Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,811
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky
    I printed out 10 block patterns, enlarged by 142%. I also ordered a couple of Michael Miller Fairy Frost charm packs to go with my batiks. AND, I ordered 5 colors of Bottom Line thread. My light box is still set up on my cutting table and I will start cutting out the applique patterns this weekend.....at least that is what my plans are. ***The best laid plans of mice and men often go asunder.***
    Ducks - you're neither mice nor men - thank goodness! :wink:

  13. #1238
    Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,811
    Blog Entries
    2
    I made mine yellow at the top, pale lavender, lilac & purple for the bottom center piece. I think we are free to do as we please. After all, we bought the fabric, didn't we?

    After copying most of the color layout of Jane's quilt, I am doing what I like, not what Aie liked.

  14. #1239
    Power Poster Lacelady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    12,323
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
    I made mine yellow at the top, pale lavender, lilac & purple for the bottom center piece. I think we are free to do as we please. After all, we bought the fabric, didn't we?

    After copying most of the color layout of Jane's quilt, I am doing what I like, not what Aie liked.
    That's what is going to make all of these look so brilliant at the end. I think we need a Gallery Thread on this board, where we can just post pics without comments being able to be added.

  15. #1240
    Power Poster Mousie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    17,211
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky
    I printed out 10 block patterns, enlarged by 142%. I also ordered a couple of Michael Miller Fairy Frost charm packs to go with my batiks. AND, I ordered 5 colors of Bottom Line thread. My light box is still set up on my cutting table and I will start cutting out the applique patterns this weekend.....at least that is what my plans are. ***The best laid plans of mice and men often go asunder.***
    I can attest to that! ;-)
    This is one of the most scrumptious group project thingies ever!
    I wish I quilted faster! different drum - own time ;-) ;-) ;-)

  16. #1241
    Power Poster sandpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,757
    Blog Entries
    9
    Ducky..sounds like a good plan to me..but then I've always believed what Mad said..make plans..God laughs..

    Funny you should mention it Lesley...there already is a Gallery...but note what she says about "applique quilts"..http://www.quiltingboard.com/user_page.jsp?upnum=2181 Maybe we should ask her about this one though...since there is a group making it...and we will all be following the same pattern.

  17. #1242
    Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,811
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    That's what is going to make all of these look so brilliant at the end. I think we need a Gallery Thread on this board, where we can just post pics without comments being able to be added.
    Ask & ye shall receive. I just created a thread called "Affairs of the Heart Gallery". Go to the bottom of this page and click on "Topic Lists." Click on the AOTH topic and there will be all AOTH related threads, including the new thread.

    Notice that we are on the top!!! That's because this list is alphabetical, not date related, so we're an "A" item. WooHoo!

  18. #1243
    Senior Member SewMomma66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    491
    I am a sort of new quilter. I have have completed four lap quilts and two are in progress. Would this be too hard for me? It looks a bit overwhelming but.... What are your thoughts?

  19. #1244
    Super Member Ducky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    8,969
    Quote Originally Posted by SewMomma66
    I am a sort of new quilter. I have have completed four lap quilts and two are in progress. Would this be too hard for me? It looks a bit overwhelming but.... What are your thoughts?
    Sewmomma, I've quilted for several years, but needleturn applique is brand new to me, so this is quite a learning experience. Leslie's and Kathy's tutorials are terrific and easy to follow, plus I've bookmarked a few needleturn videos from YouTube. We can work at our own pace and the ladies are so very willing to answer any questions at all. Jump in, M'Dear!

  20. #1245
    Senior Member SewMomma66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    491
    Wow thanks for the encouragement. I was admiring the photos from the cheryls quilts. Very impressive and beautiful. I am going to purchase the book. Since I have a little more time to prepare. I do like a challenge and how else do we improve but practice, practice, practice.

  21. #1246
    Power Poster sandpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,757
    Blog Entries
    9
    Thanks for the Gallery Kathy! That will be really cool :D:

    Hey SewMomma, Ducks is right. I haven't been quilting all that long..heck..I couldn't even turn on the machine 5 yrs. ago. I love a challenge too and this one is for me. I'm doing the needle turn by hand and I suppose that by the time I get finished, I should be fairly good at that! I've done applique, but have always used freezer paper in the past and this time I'm determined to not use anything but the needle/thread..(well..mine could technically be called toothpick turn applique..LOL!) Just jump on it with the rest of us..it'll be fun!

  22. #1247
    Super Member Ducky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    8,969
    I like the idea of the gallery, Kathy. Thanks for doing that for us!

  23. #1248
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    488
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky
    I also ordered a couple of Michael Miller Fairy Frost charm packs to go with my batiks. AND, I ordered 5 colors of Bottom Line thread.
    Oooh... Fairy Frosts!! Maybe I should get some for this project (since the ones I already have are in the never-to-be-cut section of my stash). I have a lot of neutral Bottom Line, I love that thread for all sorts of things.

  24. #1249
    Power Poster Lacelady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    12,323
    Blog Entries
    19
    Sewmomma, well done for wanting to jump right in and join us - if needle turn (or toothpick turn, LOL) defeats you, it is perfectly acceptable to machine the app. patches on.

    Thank you for the Gallery, going to look now.

  25. #1250
    Super Member Ducky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    8,969
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuilteanna
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky
    I also ordered a couple of Michael Miller Fairy Frost charm packs to go with my batiks. AND, I ordered 5 colors of Bottom Line thread.
    Oooh... Fairy Frosts!! Maybe I should get some for this project (since the ones I already have are in the never-to-be-cut section of my stash). I have a lot of neutral Bottom Line, I love that thread for all sorts of things.
    Yes, I thought the Fairy Frosts would look pretty with the batiks. I have my own never-to-be-cut section, too. I keep thinking I'll save the fabrics for something really special, but some of it is getting kind of old. I still visit and stroke them from time to time, but I just don't know if scissors will ever touch them.

Page 50 of 170 FirstFirst ... 40 49 50 51 60 100 150 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.