Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 53 of 170 FirstFirst ... 3 43 52 53 54 63 103 153 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 4243

Thread: Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Cuilteanna
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky
    I also ordered a couple of Michael Miller Fairy Frost charm packs to go with my batiks. AND, I ordered 5 colors of Bottom Line thread.
    Oooh... Fairy Frosts!! Maybe I should get some for this project (since the ones I already have are in the never-to-be-cut section of my stash). I have a lot of neutral Bottom Line, I love that thread for all sorts of things.
    Cuilteanna, I received my Fairy Frost charm packs today. I think they'll add such a difference in texture -- I'm excited about them. Also received the thread, and I'm almost as excited about it as I am the charm packs!

Blog Entries
    I also ordered a couple of Michael Miller Fairy Frost charm packs to go with my batiks. AND, I ordered 5 colors of Bottom Line thread.
    Oooh... Fairy Frosts!! Maybe I should get some for this project (since the ones I already have are in the never-to-be-cut section of my stash). I have a lot of neutral Bottom Line, I love that thread for all sorts of things.
    Cuilteanna, I received my Fairy Frost charm packs today. I think they'll add such a difference in texture -- I'm excited about them. Also received the thread, and I'm almost as excited about it as I am the charm packs!
    Oooh, Ducky, does that mean you are ready to start now? Are you going to become a member of the JTG club?

Lesley, I'm halfway through my first block.

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    WooHoo! WooHoo!

Gotta get back to mare watching!

Blog Entries
    Great stuff, Ducky, looking forward to pics!

I too am hooked on that mare watching - due last Saturday (I think) and she is still hanging around. I know well the feeling, my kids were just as tardy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    Great stuff, Ducky, looking forward to pics!
    Don't hold your breath........I got so frustrated with how it was looking last night that I shoved it aside.

Blog Entries
    Oh, Ducky so sorry. Is there anything I can help with?

Thanks, Lesley. I'll see what it looks like tonight -- frustration last night may have "jaded" my view of it. It just seems a bit wonky. One thing I know I need is a better, sharper tracing pencil. Also, I need to make sure my tracing is spot on.

I love the Bottom Line thread. Patti is right, you can't see it at all.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Lesley. I'll see what it looks like tonight -- frustration last night may have "jaded" my view of it. It just seems a bit wonky. One thing I know I need is a better, sharper tracing pencil. Also, I need to make sure my tracing is spot on.

I love the Bottom Line thread. Patti is right, you can't see it at all.
    I use a Sewline retractible pencil - always sharp. In fact, I actually have two, because I lost the first one, bought a replacement, then found the first one. Now I keep one with either white or yellow leads in it, and the other has the grey (graphite colour) leads in it. I think that they actually make one pencil now, that holds three different colours.

Worked on my applique after I got home from a class last night. Once I looked at it with fresh eyes, it wasn't so bad. Not "Lesley good", but not bad.

The instructor for the silk ribbon class I took told me I shouldn't be using Bottom Line for the applique because it is polyester......this is after I spent over $50 on several different colors. :roll: I am still going to use it. I think my AOTH will be either a couple of wall hangings or a "show" bed quilt.

Blog Entries
    Worked on my applique after I got home from a class last night. Once I looked at it with fresh eyes, it wasn't so bad. Not "Lesley good", but not bad.

The instructor for the silk ribbon class I took told me I shouldn't be using Bottom Line for the applique because it is polyester......this is after I spent over $50 on several different colors. :roll: I am still going to use it. I think my AOTH will be either a couple of wall hangings or a "show" bed quilt.
    Ah, Ducky, that's very nice of you, but by the time you get to the end of this quilt, I bet you will be a lot happier. As for the polyester thread debate, I am not convinced with the opinion of it cutting the fabric - there are some opposite arguments out there too, not just me.

I sewed my first quilt together with poly thread in the early 60's, and none of the patches is falling apart at the seams, but some of the cotton fabric is beginning to 'go'.

Silk threads I do worry about, because I have seen silk threads disintegrate over a period of time

Blog Entries
    "Lesley good"
    aka the GOLD Standard!

The company that sells Bottom Line, Superior Threads, would beg to differ with your instructor. I seem to recall a video where Bob shows that many poly threads are weaker than some cotton threads. I have always just used what I wanted and ignored the "quilt police".

All my more recent Celtic appliqué has been done with Bottom Line and it hasn't been a problem.

Thank you for telling me that, Cuilteanna. I decided I will continue to use it -- I love working with it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    "Lesley good"
    aka the GOLD Standard!
    Aw, stop it Martina, my hats won't fit me!

The company that sells Bottom Line, Superior Threads, would beg to differ with your instructor. I seem to recall a video where Bob shows that many poly threads are weaker than some cotton threads. I have always just used what I wanted and ignored the "quilt police".

All my more recent Celtic appliqué has been done with Bottom Line and it hasn't been a problem.
    I agree with you...i ignore the quilt police too...i think that quilting is a lot more flexible than it used to be. I mean they recommend poly batting now so I don't think it is such a sin anymore to mix the 2.

Quote Originally Posted by debe

I agree with you...i ignore the quilt police too...i think that quilting is a lot more flexible than it used to be. I mean they recommend poly batting now so I don't think it is such a sin anymore to mix the 2.
    Kind of what I was thinking.

Blog Entries
    Ducks, Polyester thread USED to be lousy, but today's poly thread is excellent. There was a worry that because it was stronger than cotton, it would act like little knives & cut the fabric. Hasn't happened.

Coats & Clark Dual Duty XP is 100% polyester now - no more cotton wrapped poly. We use it in the quilting program. It doesn't fray and break like the old Dual Duty does. I hate the old DD.

Glad you changed your mind about your block. My first blocks looked better the next day, too. I wasn't happy about how the bobbin work with the Razzle Dazzle looked, but have decided that's how it's gonna be.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    Aw, stop it Martina, my hats won't fit me!
    Then I guess you should stop wearing hats! :-) Berets sit nicely on the head & one size . . yadda, yadda!

Do you realize just how much you are appreciated here for all your knowledge & willingness to freely share it with others?

Well, you are!

Kathy, I LOVE your bobbin work! I think I will use the DMC floss and blending filament I already have on hand for the embroidery. I need to stop buying stuff.

Blog Entries
    That bobbinwork really has me hooked, but I am sort of spastic when doing FMQ/bobbinwork. I normally don't have much of a problem with true FMQ, but with the bobbinwork, I'm trying to follow the lines. It's almost like driving & watching the road right in front of the car, not up ahead. When you do that, you get all jerky with the wheel. I'm all jerky with the block & it really shows up since there is so much contrast.

Blog Entries
    okay, so if i am going to play along, do i have to buy an applique sewing machine? or does my janome 6500 work? i see it' s needle turned appliqua and then the pretty decretive stitches. done on a machine?

how many blocks am i behind?
    i see, 18 or sooooo.....

Blog Entries
    Sew, I use a Janome 6600, so your 6500 would be just fine. Just about any machine will work for this, except a Featherweight or any other straight-stitch only machine. Needle turn is by hand. I am the only one, so far, who is doing machine applique & machine embroidery. Mine is bobbinwork for the embroidery. I have a tutorial for my method of machine applique. Go to the bottom of any page & click on Topic Lists. Affairs of the Heart is at the top. Click on it & you will see a tutorial for Open Satin Stitch applique.

Quote Originally Posted by sewNso
    okay, so if i am going to play along, do i have to buy an applique sewing machine? or does my janome 6500 work? i see it' s needle turned appliqua and then the pretty decretive stitches. done on a machine?

how many blocks am i behind?
    i see, 18 or sooooo.....
    no you are not behind. the official start date is in June. Lesley started early so she could take pics and do tutes for those of us who might need extra help. it gives us a chance to practice before starting the "real thing". also there is a JTG Club (jump the gun) and some have joined that. there is no pressure to "catch up" and everyone is encouraged to work at a pace that is comfortable for them. there are plenty of wonderful ladies who can and will answer any questions we might have.

Lesley i just have one thing to say

i agree with what everyone else has said you are an awesome sister.

Page 53 of 170 FirstFirst ... 3 43 52 53 54 63 103 153 ... LastLast