Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 43 of 170 FirstFirst ... 33 42 43 44 53 93 143 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 4243

Thread: Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

What, exactly, is bobbin work? Now I need to do research.

I have searched for it but couldn´t find it.

I think bobbin work is when you load your actual bobbin up with fancy threads and you work from the back side of your material, don´t hold me to it, but we had someone at the club do it, and I wasn´t payin all that much attention as I didn´t think I would need to use that......doh dumb person that I am.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky
    OK, I found it. Here is the link to the video. And Elle is right. You put heavy decorative thread in the bobbin, and then sew on the wrong side of the fabric, so that the bobbin thread ends up on the top. I may consider that for AOTH.

http://www.nancyziemantv.com/

I am glad you found the video Gai. I tried to do what you said, but I am a complete goose when it comes to computer stuff and it didn't work.

Blog Entries
    I like to do bobbin work actually...learned how in a class once. I bought all the stuff but then haven't gotten back to doing it. Thats why I have that Razzle Dazzle on a bobbin now.

Sorry the appl. e-book wasn't helpful. I've downloaded a few of their free ebooks and I though they made for some interesting reading. However, I'm one of those that if I learn just 1 new thing..I usually think its worth my time. I don't blame you for using your junk mail addy though...I hate spam.

Blog Entries
    I watched Nancy's video, but I still think it might be difficult to get the stitching in exactly the right place if you are doing it from the back.

Part of the charm of these blocks is the lovely curves and scrolls of the embroidery, and the placement of them compared to the applique.

For instance, I wouldn't think if doing the embroidery first, even if it doesn't go over the applique, because it's nice to be able to get the embroidery right up close to the applique where the design calls for it.

I think it would be hard enough to exactly line up the design lines on both front and back, but that is just me. perhaps some of you have nifty ways of doing that.

Certainly ...Marilyn

Blog Entries
    Well, thanks to Kathy's tutorial on fused applique with machine embroidery, I may have to rethink how I want to do my AOTH. I had never tried it before and today may two of Block 34 of AOTH (although I made them for something else and made them BIG - 12" blocks. They came out really good and now I think I love this way of doing things. My only concern is how well it will hold up with washing. Have any of you used this type of machine applique on quilts other than wallhangings?

Blog Entries
    It is when you put fancy-special or thick thread (even yarn) that is too thick or persnickety to fit in the needle in the bobbin. Some machines (like the Pfaffs and Janomes) have a special bobbin case for these instances because you DO NOT run the thread through the little hook. It sort of just comes out of the side. SOme machines you can use the regular bobbin case. It's a matter of testing.

Some machines can use the regular method to wind those threads on the bobbin and others need to load the bobbin by hand.

You turn your piece over so the top is on the bottom. It is important to have a good idea of the pattern and have the pattern marked on the back (or on paper pinned to the back). Then you do the FMQ as normal. (It helps to do a test run and work out the tension.)

Hope that helps.

Well I have read all of your ideas on this and I personally think I would go mad trying that, and I will be hand sewing, mine luckily isn´t too bad and will only improve as we go along.

Good luck to everyone who is trying this method, I am sure it work out great for you

Kathy...I am starting with a size before applique of 10"x10"..finished size when sewn will be 8"X8".
    Marilyn

Kathy...sorry for the interuption..... my dog just came home from an unscheduled jaunt. I do think I am going with the black background and colors close to the platte of A.Rossmann
    Marilyn

You can see I'm new to this site...will have to learn how to use it!!
    Marilyn

No problem Co.... As a moderator I can correct double postings

Elle

Blog Entries
    I think that the ladies who will be doing the embroidery parts by using a bobbin work technique will be able to trace the drawing on the back after drawing it on the front. (think maybe light box??) I'll be doing it by hand..Mom taught me those stitches back when it was the "in" thing to embroider those big flowers on your blue jean legs. I got fairly good at it them. The only issue I have is that I'm not sure the Razzle Dazzle will fit through the eye of my embroidery needle...might have to find a crewel needle to use.

Marilyn, your quilt will be pretty! Welcome to the board!

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    When I did a couple of blocks last night (and other quilts in the past) I quilted from the front where I wanted the Razzle Dazzle to be, so that when I turned the piece over, there are the lines on which to stitch with the RD. I did 2 blocks last night & went to bed thinking, "I'm going to have to find another way to do this." This morning, They don't look nearly as bad as they did last night.

I think on #8 I am going to go back over the line another time. They don't look great, just not so bad. My FMQ isn't steady, but should improve with practice. Back when I made my avatar, I was told that I should stitch over the lines I had more than once. I was thinking about that in regards to this. Maybe I need more of the thread. That way, if it is a bit wonky, I wanted it that way!!! :|

Blog Entries
    Can you post a pic Kathy???? I'm going to use the R/D...and have this "need" to see!!LOL!

I am really wanting to do the embroidery by hand. If I'm going to do this thing with needleturn, I think I want everything else (aside from the actual block piecing) to be by hand.

Blog Entries
    I agree! If I was doing needleturn I would definitely do the embroidery by hand.

I am really wanting to do the embroidery by hand. If I'm going to do this thing with needleturn, I think I want everything else (aside from the actual block piecing) to be by hand.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
    When I did a couple of blocks last night (and other quilts in the past) I quilted from the front where I wanted the Razzle Dazzle to be, so that when I turned the piece over, there are the lines on which to stitch with the RD.

|
    That's what Ricky Timms suggests about doing bobbinwork. I believe he also suggests that you use dissolving thread so it goes away if it's not completely covered by the bobbinwork. I'm not brave enough to try bobbinwork yet. Too many new things all at once.

I agree Judy. One more thing to learn would make my little brain explode. And that would be very messy, indeed.

Blog Entries
    I agree Judy. One more thing to learn would make my little brain explode. And that would be very messy, indeed.
    Eewww, duck pate comes to mind - please don't do that Ducky.

Kathy, don't hold out on us, we need pics!

I have loads of them now - does anyone feel the need to try practising a scroll yet? I am still not sure if you want to see finished blocks yet, or what, because of the start date being so far away, but I am keeping them all ready for when we do start. I have been putting some of them on my PDA if you want sneak peeks at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    No plans on that in the near future.

Blog Entries

I have loads of them now - does anyone feel the need to try practising a scroll yet? I am still not sure if you want to see finished blocks yet, or what, because of the start date being so far away, but I am keeping them all ready for when we do start. I have been putting some of them on my PDA if you want sneak peeks at them.
    Lesley, I believe you are doing your scrolls by hand. How many strands of floss are you using? I am working on a scroll right now. I bought a bunch of different floss and tried the variegated ones and didn't like any of them. So now I'm working with a really pale yellow and think that will work pretty good for me. I tried a metallic thread and didn't like working with it and didn't like the feel of it on the fabric.

I'm going searching for your pictures. I want to see what you've done.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyG

Lesley, I believe you are doing your scrolls by hand. How many strands of floss are you using? I am working on a scroll right now. I bought a bunch of different floss and tried the variegated ones and didn't like any of them. So now I'm working with a really pale yellow and think that will work pretty good for me. I tried a metallic thread and didn't like working with it and didn't like the feel of it on the fabric.

I'm going searching for your pictures. I want to see what you've done.
    Ah, I am doing the hand embroidery with two strands of DMC stranded embroidery floss, shade 742, but the scrolls I meant was the applique scrolls, as that is the third main shape you will need to practice for this quilt if you haven't had much experience, but want to needleturn.

For lists of where my pics are for this quilt, click on my blue name above my avatar, and scroll down right to the bottom. I hope I have managed to list where to find them all, but I might have missed off one or two.

Page 43 of 170 FirstFirst ... 33 42 43 44 53 93 143 ... LastLast