Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 44 of 170 FirstFirst ... 34 43 44 45 54 94 144 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 4243

Thread: Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

  1. #1076
    Super Member Ducky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    8,969
    Lesley, I was wondering, while using DMC floss, if a strand of blending filament would add a bit of sheen to it.

  2. #1077
    Senior Member Cre8tvlwyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Posts
    926
    My book is on its way from Amazon ....I need another project like a HIH [hole in head] but.... lookin forward to it!!
    Lesley - I have to ask if you know any Sheridans up there? My dear dear friend 'Uncle Father John V. Sheridan' just passed here a few months ago. I could swear he said his family came from area where Yeats was - I know he was a terrific Yeats fan as was Mary Campbell. Names sound familiar??

    btw - I see many of you referring by 1st name - mine's Monica

  3. #1078
    Senior Member Cre8tvlwyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Posts
    926
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky
    Lesley, I was wondering, while using DMC floss, if a strand of blending filament would add a bit of sheen to it.
    what is blending filament??

  4. #1079
    Super Member Ducky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    8,969
    Quote Originally Posted by Cre8tvlwyr
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky
    Lesley, I was wondering, while using DMC floss, if a strand of blending filament would add a bit of sheen to it.
    what is blending filament??
    Actually, it's a pain in the tail feathers, but it adds a different look. For example, I am working on a counted cross stitch garden fairy, and most of her wing area is Kreinik blending filament, which makes it look iridescent.

    This is what Kreinik says about it:

    Use Kreinik Blending Filament, by itself or combined with other yarns, to create random highlighting effect in all hand embroidery like cross stitch and needlepoint, plus machine embroidery, crochet, and knitting. Available on 50 meter (55 yard) spools.

  5. #1080
    Power Poster Lacelady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    12,323
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky
    Lesley, I was wondering, while using DMC floss, if a strand of blending filament would add a bit of sheen to it.
    I expect it would Ducky - or perhaps you could substitute Rayon instead? I know that mine don't have a shine or twinkle to them, but the colour seems to do the trick for me.

    I tried paler yellows, but settled on quite strong gold colour (742) Another one that is very similar is 972 (both DMC, for Anchor equivalent, you would have to find a comparison chart). I am happy with my blocks this way, and I haven't had any problems with thread shredding, or difficulties with threading the needle, plus I know that it has lasting qualities.

  6. #1081
    Power Poster Lacelady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    12,323
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Cre8tvlwyr
    My book is on its way from Amazon ....I need another project like a HIH [hole in head] but.... lookin forward to it!!
    Lesley - I have to ask if you know any Sheridans up there? My dear dear friend 'Uncle Father John V. Sheridan' just passed here a few months ago. I could swear he said his family came from area where Yeats was - I know he was a terrific Yeats fan as was Mary Campbell. Names sound familiar??

    btw - I see many of you referring by 1st name - mine's Monica
    Hi, Monica, no the names aren't familiar to me, but then I am UK born, and have only lived here since 2000. I will ask my Sligo quilting friends when I see them on Thursday at our meeting. The church where Yeats is buried is just north of Sligo and very popular with visitors.

  7. #1082
    Super Member Butterflyspain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Torrox, Andalucia, Southern Spain
    Posts
    9,532
    Ducky I have that thread I bought it for a project and it never got finished so haven´t used it, may try it out on this one because I think that might be nice.

    Elle

  8. #1083
    Super Member Ducky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    8,969
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
    Ducky I have that thread I bought it for a project and it never got finished so haven´t used it, may try it out on this one because I think that might be nice.

    Elle
    I really think it would look nice, along with two strands of DMC. I am using it on a project now, and it is a real pain to work with -- for me at least. It wants to fray in the middle and break. I'm thinking if it's with the other strands of floss, it would work better....?

  9. #1084
    Power Poster sandpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,757
    Blog Entries
    9
    Ducky, that filament sounds really interesting...I've never heard of it. I got a notice today that my Razzle Dazzle has shipped, so I can't wait to try it out. It has a metallic thread in it so it should have a nice sheen. We'll see. If it doesn't work like I want it too, I'll be back at square 1. I have scads of the DMC 742 though and it looks great on Lesley's blocks.

  10. #1085
    Super Member SewExtremeSeams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    7,744
    Blog Entries
    47
    Oh Dears! I am not only about to go out of commission but I blinked and you all jumped at least 10 pages on me. How will I ever catch up??????

    We got to run over (5 hours away) to see two of our grandchildren and my sweet DIL for the weekend. It was so much fun. I posted photos on the thread "Grandchildren, my future quilters". They are such a blessing to us.

    I haven't had time to read through all of the pages. Does anyone know how Molly's knee replacement went on Monday? :shock: :shock: :shock:

  11. #1086
    Super Member Butterflyspain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Torrox, Andalucia, Southern Spain
    Posts
    9,532
    LindaAnn we are chatterboxes, you can´t leave us for long, but at least you will have some reading material when you are getting better.

    Haven´t heard about Molly, perhaps someone else knows.

    Elle

  12. #1087
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    488
    Blending filament is EVIL!!!

    I used to do a lot of cross stitch, and hated it so much that I left it out wherever I didn't think it would make much difference to the finished piece. It was always getting tangled or breaking even when the threads it was paired with were behaving nicely. I tried silicone and all sorts of "thread conditioner" on it and it still wouldn't behave. I will never touch the stuff again!

  13. #1088
    Super Member Butterflyspain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Torrox, Andalucia, Southern Spain
    Posts
    9,532
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuilteanna
    Blending filament is EVIL!!!

    I used to do a lot of cross stitch, and hated it so much that I left it out wherever I didn't think it would make much difference to the finished piece. It was always getting tangled or breaking even when the threads it was paired with were behaving nicely. I tried silicone and all sorts of "thread conditioner" on it and it still wouldn't behave. I will never touch the stuff again!
    Yuk, I hate when that happens. I was looking at a site last night which might be useful to some of you they sell the most unusual threads and ribbons, just type in shibori dragon. Lovely fabrics as well although not so cheap as some sites. Gorgeous hand dyes batiks though.

  14. #1089
    Power Poster Lacelady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    12,323
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuilteanna
    Blending filament is EVIL!!!

    I used to do a lot of cross stitch, and hated it so much that I left it out wherever I didn't think it would make much difference to the finished piece. It was always getting tangled or breaking even when the threads it was paired with were behaving nicely. I tried silicone and all sorts of "thread conditioner" on it and it still wouldn't behave. I will never touch the stuff again!
    Yuk, I hate when that happens. I was looking at a site last night which might be useful to some of you they sell the most unusual threads and ribbons, just type in shibori dragon. Lovely fabrics as well although not so cheap as some sites. Gorgeous hand dyes batiks though.
    Elle, I'm not going to look - I'm not going to look - I'm not going to look. Oh hang it, I probably will.

    I haven't seen any mention from Molly, so I hope all went well, and she can hobble to the computer sometime soon to catch up with us.

    .........I looked. http://www.shiboridragon.com/

    Thankfully, I didn't see any hand dyed batiks - not sure where they were, so I am safe for now.

  15. #1090
    Super Member Butterflyspain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Torrox, Andalucia, Southern Spain
    Posts
    9,532
    Lesley its not what I cause a user friendly site, but they are their, do you want me to post the page for you.......mmmm up to you..

    Elle

  16. #1091
    Power Poster sandpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,757
    Blog Entries
    9
    Oh dang it, now I have to go look.....Elle...you are a bad influence, do you hear me?????? BAD influence!!! LOL! Going to look now...

    Elle, its a good thing that I would have had to get up and walk to the kitchen to get my CC out of my purse.! (They changed my # and I haven't memorized it...yet>>>) That site has some amazingly beautiful threads and also some really cute cat/dog patterns (for my swaps). I'm going to link it on the swap opening page for the patterns. I'll have to order some of that fine kimono silk thread for applique, it looks gorgeous!

    Oh and Lesley, they have some beautiful batick scrap bags....sold out right now, but I'm sure they'll make up more. :wink:

  17. #1092
    Super Member Ducky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    8,969
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuilteanna
    Blending filament is EVIL!!!

    I used to do a lot of cross stitch, and hated it so much that I left it out wherever I didn't think it would make much difference to the finished piece. It was always getting tangled or breaking even when the threads it was paired with were behaving nicely. I tried silicone and all sorts of "thread conditioner" on it and it still wouldn't behave. I will never touch the stuff again!
    I'm glad to know it's not only me that HATES to work with the filament. I thought that, being with a couple of strands of floss, it would be more protected. I don't know. I am working on a counted cross stitch fairy and her wings are mostly blending filament and it's driving me bonkers. BONKERS, I tell ya!

  18. #1093
    Super Member Ducky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    8,969
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuilteanna
    Blending filament is EVIL!!!

    I used to do a lot of cross stitch, and hated it so much that I left it out wherever I didn't think it would make much difference to the finished piece. It was always getting tangled or breaking even when the threads it was paired with were behaving nicely. I tried silicone and all sorts of "thread conditioner" on it and it still wouldn't behave. I will never touch the stuff again!
    Yuk, I hate when that happens. I was looking at a site last night which might be useful to some of you they sell the most unusual threads and ribbons, just type in shibori dragon. Lovely fabrics as well although not so cheap as some sites. Gorgeous hand dyes batiks though.
    Elle, I've ordered through Shibori Dragon before. They are great. I had to call them to change a fabric in my order and they were terrific. I'd order through them again.

  19. #1094
    Super Member Butterflyspain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Torrox, Andalucia, Southern Spain
    Posts
    9,532
    Yes I have ordered a lot from them and they have a fast postage to Spain which I really like. Its a huge site as well with so many things on it, just had another browse, wish I could win the lottery LOL I would have a blast.

  20. #1095
    Power Poster Lacelady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    12,323
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    Quote Originally Posted by Cre8tvlwyr
    My book is on its way from Amazon ....I need another project like a HIH [hole in head] but.... lookin forward to it!!
    Lesley - I have to ask if you know any Sheridans up there? My dear dear friend 'Uncle Father John V. Sheridan' just passed here a few months ago. I could swear he said his family came from area where Yeats was - I know he was a terrific Yeats fan as was Mary Campbell. Names sound familiar??

    btw - I see many of you referring by 1st name - mine's Monica
    Hi, Monica, no the names aren't familiar to me, but then I am UK born, and have only lived here since 2000. I will ask my Sligo quilting friends when I see them on Thursday at our meeting. The church where Yeats is buried is just north of Sligo and very popular with visitors.
    Monica, you asked about Fr. Sheridan and Mary Campbell. I asked my Sligo quilty friends tonight and no one thought they knew them. Sister Margaret said she would ask her local priest, who is Sligo born and has lived here all his life. I suppose there is a possibility he might have known him. As for the Campbell, though I know it as a Scottish surname, apparently there are a lot of families in the area with that name too.

  21. #1096
    Super Member Ducky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    8,969
    I'm a Campbell (maiden name)

  22. #1097
    Senior Member Fabric Galore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    966
    Blog Entries
    3
    Hit another wall with my DGD's quilt. I was going to use my Janome 11000 to machine embroider the blocks but the quilt is so big the fabric keeps popping out of the frame. I have the top row embroidered but I think I am going to have to use my walking foot and do quilting on the middle rows. Maybe I can machine embroider the bottom row to tie it together. Her birthday was March 1 and I'll be lucky to finish this by March 31. I just broke a machine needle so I decided to get a cup of tea and check out the board.

  23. #1098
    Senior Member Fabric Galore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    966
    Blog Entries
    3
    When I finally finish my DGD's quilt I have a quilt for my youngest grandson to make and THEN I am going to get serious about AOTH. I am dying to JTG on AOTH but I hate to have UFO's in my sewing room.

  24. #1099
    Super Member SewExtremeSeams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    7,744
    Blog Entries
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabric Galore
    Hit another wall with my DGD's quilt. I was going to use my Janome 11000 to machine embroider the blocks but the quilt is so big the fabric keeps popping out of the frame. I have the top row embroidered but I think I am going to have to use my walking foot and do quilting on the middle rows. Maybe I can machine embroider the bottom row to tie it together. Her birthday was March 1 and I'll be lucky to finish this by March 31. I just broke a machine needle so I decided to get a cup of tea and check out the board.
    Great idea! Now breathe in slowly and exhale as slowly as you possibly can. That should relax all of your muscles and clear your mind... I think; I hope... lol, lol, lol

  25. #1100
    Senior Member Fabric Galore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    966
    Blog Entries
    3
    Linda, thanks for the encouragement. I am wrestlig with going in and reading or going back to tackle the monster one more time. The cup of tea helps but chatting with all of my quilt friends give me encouragement not to quit.

Page 44 of 170 FirstFirst ... 34 43 44 45 54 94 144 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.