Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 93 of 170 FirstFirst ... 43 83 92 93 94 103 143 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,325 of 4243

Thread: Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

I bought a piece of 11x 14 plexi from home depot for around 4$
    I havent tried it out yet... but Im hoping it will work :D

Blog Entries
    I bet it will work great Candance!

Blog Entries
    I got my finger gloves (cots really as they just cover half the finger) from
    http://www.fingergloves.com.
    Not expensive, 6 times thicker than a latex glove, but still with plenty of feeling to even hold a sewing needle for applique if you don't have a lot of grip. The come in sizes, but I ordered 12 of the large (big hands) and got a free medium to try too. Obviously you could wear one on every finger/thumb, but I find just one or two on each hand is sufficient for quilting.

Re not expensive, 12 were $5.99, and if you share your experience, it's possible to get a gift packet.

Edit: just realised that it was in 2009 that I ordered the last lot, so perhaps the price might be a little different - sorry, I didn't mean to mislead. (Shows how long they last! LOL)

Blog Entries
    Wow...those DO last a long time Lesley. I'll have to check them out.

Editted to say the site is under construction. I'll google to see if I can find another. I found lots of sites listed by googling "finger cots"...but since I don't know anything about them....I'd hate to recommend any of them.

Patti, you're right. I tried the latex glove tip last night and couldn't keep it on. I have very little hands. I'll do some research online for the coddles, too.

I'm very happy with this last go-around with Block #8. I like the colors better, and my tracing has been more accurate since using the clear extension quilting table. I really appreciate everyone's help along the way.

Blog Entries
    I tried again, and I didn't type the addy properly, try:
    http://www.FingerGloves.com/

Patti, I also think you need a thread here of your own, with your block designs posted in it. You never know, it might encourage some others to design extra blocks too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady

Patti, I also think you need a thread here of your own, with your block designs posted in it. You never know, it might encourage some others to design extra blocks too.
    I went to that site, Lesley, and see that they are out of Colorado Springs. About a 90 minute drive from where I live. Cool!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady

I went to that site, Lesley, and see that they are out of Colorado Springs. About a 90 minute drive from where I live. Cool!
    LOL, Ducky, they are much cooler than wearing gloves! :-D :-D :-D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fantomdiva
    I have a quick question. I have never appliqued on a dark background fabric. I am planning to use black, but am having trouble transferring placement marks to the black so i know where to put my pieces. This is a relatively new experience for me, so any help will be greatly and gratefully appreciated!!

Maureen
    Hi Maureen, I am using a black background and I followed Ai's directions in the book. I use Dritz tracing paper in yellow and I place the tracing paper face down on the back ground and the pattern on top. I pin or tape the edges so they don't move. I use an orange stick or my bamboo seam turner to mark a sharp line on the pattern. It marks through and the tracing paper leaves an outline. The tracing paper will come off easily with water or steam so use a white washable pen to trace over the lines on your background. I did most of the applique without using the white marker but then I had to trace the embroidery lines again with the tracing paper.

Blog Entries
    I finally finished my first block and I posted it to the block #9 site. I'm hoping I get faster at this as I go along or I will be 2 years making this quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabric Galore
    I finally finished my first block and I posted it to the block #9 site. I'm hoping I get faster at this as I go along or I will be 2 years making this quilt.
    Then you'll be joining me! I have to admit however that I have jumped the gun. I didn't intend to, but once started it was like eating chips---I couldn't stop. But I haven't chosen a border fabric or decided how I'm going to proceed beyond the blocks. That's the part that will take me forever.

Blog Entries
    I'm glad you posted a new link for the cots Lesley, thanks. I'll have to go look. Ducks, does that mean you get cheaper shipping?? LOL!

I'll post a pic of the extra blocks on the gallery thread when I finish this one Lesley. Then if anyone wants to copy, they can. I can scan in the line drawings of them if anyone wants the designs too.

You could try VetRap, its a stretchy bandage type product that we use to wrap around wounds on animals, you could also check your local shops that carry bandages for the stretchy bandages, they work really well and stick to them selves, very inexpensive, and super easy to use, I like they ease and thinness which make it easy to gripe the needle, and if you use them on your finger under the fabric, no needle pokes :D

I'm sending a link to Sue Nickels site - if you click on the link and play the intro to her video you will see how she wears her latex glove fingers in the preview.
    i use machingers but they tend to get hot. When I took her class, I sewed with her "fingers" and they really do work great and stay on - but they are cut longish..

http://www.sue-nickels.com/index.php

btw - got my lilly swirls and washed the background!!!

Blog Entries
    Is everybody getting ready for the Off now? I am really looking forward to seeing blocks being posted in a few days time.

Blog Entries
    I'm so excited to see everyone's start!!!!

Do we know how many are doing this? Didn't it hit 70?

I thought we were into the 80s??
    I think my son must have our upload do-hickey for the picture discs ...havent been able to load anything on :oops: :x

I want to show you all my Amelia's Rose Garden wreath appliqued before I start embroidering and all my AOTH fabric choices

ACK! I still have to take my background fabric to the laundrymat to shrink it!

I know I saw a spread sheet for what order we are doing this in.. but I cant find it :roll: I still havent printed out all of my patterns either :oops:

and I thought I was going to join JTG :lol:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deranged_damsel
    ACK! I still have to take my background fabric to the laundrymat to shrink it!

I know I saw a spread sheet for what order we are doing this in.. but I cant find it :roll: I still havent printed out all of my patterns either :oops:

and I thought I was going to join JTG :lol:
    The schedule is at the end of Kathy's first post on page one - you need to download it by clicking on it.

Don't worry about printing everything from day one, you only need one pattern per week.

Blog Entries
    Oh ya'll.....NO Panicking Allowed!!! Just get yourself on track and get done what you need to in a calm way. Its not a race....but we can't wait for everyone to get started...(just so you know :lol:)

THANKS I found it :D

there is no way I will be ready on time! there is a grandbaby who has been TRYING to get here for two days already! I have a Doc appoint, and Dh and I have to drive south to go get some critters, and he is promising me an aniversary weekend... we will see! :lol:
    and you know.... I just dont have enough fabrics!!! :lol: :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    Oh ya'll.....NO Panicking Allowed!!! Just get yourself on track and get done what you need to in a calm way. Its not a race....but we can't wait for everyone to get started...(just so you know :lol:)
    :P

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Ducks, as of right this moment, we are at exactly - are you ready?

88!!!!!!!

Just out of curiosity - how many started Jane and stuck with it to the end?

Page 93 of 170 FirstFirst ... 43 83 92 93 94 103 143 ... LastLast