Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 05-05-2011, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
Ok..I also am using a knotting my Razzle Dazzle on the back. I don't think it will be a problem once it is nestled in the batting..It will be fine- I'm just not planning to invite the QP over to inspect it.

Thanks Judy for pointing out the location of instructions for block 10..regular applique. Doing the 7" blocks..it just seemed like too much effort to me when you can easily do it the regular way.
It's good practice for when you do the large outer border! Of course, if you are planning a different outer border, then you don't need the practice.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:49 AM

JudyG, cute finger pincushion.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by JudyG
Candi, on page 2 of the Block 10 thread, both Patti and Kathy discuss how they went about doing it but not using reverse applique.
Thanks everyone. Heading over there now.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:34 AM

:idea: I just realized that if I'm going to do the blanket stitch by machine on the front through batting and a backing, that will make it difficult to do the embroidery on the front, right?

I was thinking of doing the embroidery before doing the machine blanket stitch, but I'm open to ideas.

I bought a light box many years ago. They were expensive back then, but I "needed" it for some project. They are well worth the money if you're going to get a lot of use out of them.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
:idea: I just realized that if I'm going to do the blanket stitch by machine on the front through batting and a backing, that will make it difficult to do the embroidery on the front, right?

I was thinking of doing the embroidery before doing the machine blanket stitch, but I'm open to ideas.

I bought a light box many years ago. They were expensive back then, but I "needed" it for some project. They are well worth the money if you're going to get a lot of use out of them.
Àfraid so it wil make it very difficult to do the embroidery. It would be okay to do the embroidery first though as long as you have all the placements for the pieces on the block as well. However if you are planning om doing the blanket stitch through the batting why not put the back on at the same time. Make your back piece about 1" larger all round and you can then have it quilted as you go.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:00 AM
Power Poster

I think it would be possible to hand embroider with the batting on the back. The knot could be buried in the batting, and then the embroidery would have to be more or less surface stitched from the front, but not all the way through to the batting unless you took the odd small bite of it unintentionallly.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
Originally Posted by Quilter7x

Àfraid so it wil make it very difficult to do the embroidery. It would be okay to do the embroidery first though as long as you have all the placements for the pieces on the block as well. However if you are planning om doing the blanket stitch through the batting why not put the back on at the same time. Make your back piece about 1" larger all round and you can then have it quilted as you go.
I went to a demonstration a few weeks ago and the way she did it is using the blanket stitch with raw edge applique. Then she joined the pieces with a strip and used a different fabric for the backing. She did that so the blanket stitch doesn't show on the back of her quilts, only the stippling or what ever quilting she did through all four layers.

I like the idea of doing the embroidery first, but would then have to be perfect at the blanket stitch. I'm also trying to figure out how to do the embroidery by machine. Don't know if I can get a narrow enough zig zag to do it, but I may try! :lol:
Old 05-06-2011, 02:59 PM

what type of light box do yall use? in the past I have used a clear clipboard and a lamp, or a window. Im thinking it may be time to get/make a light box ;)
Old 05-06-2011, 04:12 PM
Power Poster

LOL Candace..you would die if you saw mine!! My 12 1/2" square ruler balanced between 2 chair seats and a lamp on the floor....it works just fine though! LOL!

Diane..I think you could hand embroider them even with the batting/blanket stitch depending entirely on what type of thread you are using and the size needle. I couldn't do it with my R/D. Doing the blanket stitch with the top and batting only sounds a whole lot like how several of us did our Jane quilts. Adding the backing after that is. I'll be interested in seeing what you end up doing.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:55 PM

Candace, I just got a Light Tracer by ArtOGraph from Dick Blick Art Materials.

http://www.dickblick.com

It was #34.99 + s&h. It's 10" x 12" & I find that it's the perfect size for what I'm doing. I got it for my birthday present to me! I do give myself the best presents! :wink: