Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 05-04-2011, 11:06 AM

okay, but maybe sometimes, espècially when you went looking for the hot totty for the Home for Quilters lol
Old 05-04-2011, 11:57 AM

RE:BOBBIN WORK

Those of you who are doing the bobbin work on AOTH, how do you secure the threads on the back? The Razzle Dazzle is just to thick to do a "fix" on my D1. (Fix=knot) Besides, that would leave a big knot on the front. I've used a large eye needle to get the RD to the back and then did a square knot. Maybe I should used a dab of fabric glue to keep it from coming undone. Just thought I'd see what you all are doing.

I did the embroidery on blocks 14 and 15 before doing the applique. It goes fast, but definitely a learning curve. Last night and this morning, I've done some prep work. I traced all my blocks with the permanent marker. I cut out the rest of the blocks from the background fabric. Next, I plan to trace the pieces on my mylar template. I'm putting the block number on each piece and putting each block in it's own baggie.

I'm not making templates for each and every piece in a block. Some are the same piece and I will use that for all or until it doesn't hold it's shape. And some of those hearts and circles are the same size in several blocks.

Well, back to the workroom. Have a nice day.

EDITED because I couldn't get the bold to work. Way to complicated!
Old 05-04-2011, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
That cute, did you make it?
Yes, I made it. It wasn't hard at all. Someone here on the board posted a link to the pattern: http://www.benartex.com/uploads/Imag...s/FingerPC.pdf

I did make the circle smaller because at the size they said to make it, it was too big and didn't look good, so I cut it down to about 3".

If you don't have someone who could drill the bottlecap for you, there is a link to another one which I guess fits on the end of your finger. That one is http://dontlooknow.typepad.com/dont_...-my-favou.html This one I haven't made. Actually just found the link when I was looking for the link to the one I did make.

Candi, I struggled with placement on my first few blocks too. But now things are going along pretty good. What are your issues with placement? I found if I trace right on the lines and cut all of the black lines on the templates off, then mine come out right. As you do more, you'll figure out what works best for you.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:33 PM

Judy, that is such a great idea! I will have to check out the link. I always stick my applique pins in the couch arm. So far I haven't lost any, but I HAVE lost a needle.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
okay, but maybe sometimes, espècially when you went looking for the hot totty for the Home for Quilters lol
Nothing wrong with wishful thinking Elle.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:25 PM

I love the pin cushion tute. when I get a minute I will make one. I am always sticking my pins in my chair

Okay you win Lesley you are saneand like looking for hot totty and we are mostly mad
Old 05-04-2011, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by JudyG

Candi, I struggled with placement on my first few blocks too. But now things are going along pretty good. What are your issues with placement? I found if I trace right on the lines and cut all of the black lines on the templates off, then mine come out right. As you do more, you'll figure out what works best for you.
So I creased my background square in quarters, and was trying to center the leaves for block 9, and it just seemed that there is a bit more space in between my leaves than the book, it took me a while to get them to point in the right angle and orientation...and I am still not sure that they are as symmetrical as they should be, but I guess with the embroidery it may hide some of the imperfections. It took me almost three hours without the embroidery to do block 9 by machine,lol, it may have taken me a month to do it by hand:mrgreen:
Old 05-04-2011, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by candi
Judy, that is really cute. I have one of these that a board member made for me in a swap.

I worked on block 9 today and done minus the embroidery. I struggled with the placement of pieces and not sure I am fully satisfied with it. I worked on the window taping the paper and background on and going from there, but I think I need to try something that is easier to control. Was going to try the bobbin work too, but now with the difficulty placing pieces and am sure tracing on the background,I may just stick to the hand embroidery.We'll see.
Hi Candi,

I just purchased a light table which also can hold my sewing machine - from "Sew Ezi", it is the best thing for tracing - you might want to check it out on the internet. It makes the tracing of your pattern and the bobbin work so much easier.

This is what I have learned from this experience so far - At Block 16 I finally figured it out how it is best to do this, so it doesn't look so bad...

1. Using a white fingernail pencil (which I wet, that way you don't have to press very hard and it stops the white lead from breaking so easily) I trace the pattern onto the reverse side of the background fabric, and do the bobbin work,

2. then trace my pattern pieces and fit the pattern pieces into the sewn bobbin work (once I cut them out) on the good side of the background fabric (I use 1 piece of freezer paper to trace on the pattern 12" wide, once that is done, then I use an ironing sheet to press on - add 2 more 12" wide pieces of freezer paper onto the bottom of the 1st pattern piece - making certain all the shiny sides down on the freezer paper - makes for a very sturdy template. Then I trim wherever I need to. Usually just a hair or so.

Adding picture of my new light table/sewing table, and it is set up in front of the tv so I can spend time with DH and not all my time in my sewing room.....

Just FYI....relieved most of my frustrations!!

My new light table/sewing table set up in living room
[ATTACH=CONFIG]192869[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-192863.jpe   attachment-192864.jpe  
Old 05-04-2011, 04:32 PM

!!!WOW!!! that is a GREAT space! woohoo, Im jelous ;)
Old 05-04-2011, 04:50 PM

Donna,
That is great! I was just researching light boxes...I may just go with a table top one though..although yours looks so awesomely convenient!