Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 05-04-2011, 05:06 PM

I also found that not all the pieces are the same size, and had to number each one just like on the original pattern.
Then match up where it was to be placed on the background fabric. So if you are cutting leaves, you would have to trace each leaf, then put on the correct number, then on the background piece place that template to match that number - once the template was covered with fabric, I couldn't see the number, so I wrote the number on the back side of the fabric covered template - that helped as well.

It is a new learning experience for me - haven't done much applique before - really frustrates me - I tend to be a perfectionist. Usually will take apart whatever bugs me until I get it perfect - Took apart a whole quilt once, then put it back together - Longarm friend couldn't believe it when I took it to her to have redone...thats just me, if its not 100%, its never good enough - I talk too much...hahaha
Old 05-04-2011, 05:06 PM

I have made a small pin cushion like the one from dontlooknow It was very easy and lots of fun I use it all the time. Sorry I do not have a picture to post. Have not started my blocks yet. Am making templates which are looking good.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Power Poster

Thats a cute pincushion Judy...I use the sofa arm..:roll:
Old 05-04-2011, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by candi
Donna,
That is great! I was just researching light boxes...I may just go with a table top one though..although yours looks so awesomely convenient!
Someone told me if you have a clear plexiglass extension for you sewing machine, you can put one of those battery powered lights that you just press on to turn on under it and have a very handy light table. I have the extension, now just need to get one of the lights.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:34 PM

Hi Judy - That would also work - you can purchase a 15" flourescent tube and portable fixture, with an on/off switch on it at Home Depot for $15.00. Probably makes more sense to have a plexiglass cut to fit the opening, there are different types of plexiglass (6 mills)is what we used, you would need one that you would be able to lean your arms on without cracking.

Wish I knew this before now!!!
I purchased my portable table for the RV, as we travel a lot.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by quiltykitty
RE:BOBBIN WORK

Those of you who are doing the bobbin work on AOTH, how do you secure the threads on the back? The Razzle Dazzle is just to thick to do a "fix" on my D1. (Fix=knot) Besides, that would leave a big knot on the front. I've used a large eye needle to get the RD to the back and then did a square knot. Maybe I should used a dab of fabric glue to keep it from coming undone. Just thought I'd see what you all are doing.

I did the embroidery on blocks 14 and 15 before doing the applique. It goes fast, but definitely a learning curve. Last night and this morning, I've done some prep work. I traced all my blocks with the permanent marker. I cut out the rest of the blocks from the background fabric. Next, I plan to trace the pieces on my mylar template. I'm putting the block number on each piece and putting each block in it's own baggie.

I'm not making templates for each and every piece in a block. Some are the same piece and I will use that for all or until it doesn't hold it's shape. And some of those hearts and circles are the same size in several blocks.

Well, back to the workroom. Have a nice day.

EDITED because I couldn't get the bold to work. Way to complicated!
Hi Quilty Kitty,

Response to your question, I do a half hitch knot on the back, (pulling the thread up and then making a circle and putting the raggedy end of the thread thru the circle, put my scissors into the circle to hold it at the base, then pull up the thread)

If you google "how do I tie a half hitch knot", it will give you step by step instructions and pictures - this knot will not slip
Attached Thumbnails attachment-193067.jpe  
Old 05-05-2011, 05:19 AM

question: did everybody use reverse applique for 10? I am doing machine applique with templates and turning the edges under and not sure how to go about doing that one. I thought maybe a bias strip but not sure about executing that.lol..I guess for now, block 10 falls under my skipto-blocks list :XD:
Old 05-05-2011, 05:21 AM

Candi if you go to Block 10, Lesley has done a great tutorial for you. It helped me to understand how to do it, so if I can do it so can you. lol
Old 05-05-2011, 06:34 AM

Candi, on page 2 of the Block 10 thread, both Patti and Kathy discuss how they went about doing it but not using reverse applique.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

Ok..I also am using a knotting my Razzle Dazzle on the back. I don't think it will be a problem once it is nestled in the batting..It will be fine- I'm just not planning to invite the QP over to inspect it.

Thanks Judy for pointing out the location of instructions for block 10..regular applique. Doing the 7" blocks..it just seemed like too much effort to me when you can easily do it the regular way.