Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 05-13-2011, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Obsessed
To get a rectangle shape, I am thinking putting the blocks in a 5 x 7 configuration, with sashing and borders to bring it to twin size. The orphan 36th block will go into a pillow sham. We'll see how long I stick with this idea before I change my mind again! :-)
I know this quote is way back from Feb - but thinking you could take your favorite blocks at the end of this and make an extra row or two :)
Monica [who's trying to catch up reading so I can play too - got my book weeks ago! :P :lol: ]
Old 05-13-2011, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Wow Sally, I checked it out and your guild did a wonderful job on the AOTH! I looked at your other pics too. Your guild looks like a lot of fun to belong to.. Fun!
Okay, Super Patti, tell me where you found the AOTH pictures. I couldn't find them.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:41 AM

Ducky, here's a link to the quilt:
http://www.orangegrovequiltersguild....nity_quilt.htm
Old 05-13-2011, 04:20 PM
Power Poster

Sorry Ducks, I should have linked directly to the page. See...Judy is nicer than I am :oops: LOL!
Old 05-13-2011, 04:58 PM

Thank you, Judy. Whenever I see one of these quilts, I keep wondering if mine will turn out half as nice. I have a good feeling about it.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:17 PM

You're welcome, Ducky. And I think every one of our quilts is going to absolutely gorgeous. It would be really hard to make it not be beautiful. It doesn't seem to matter what colors are thrown together, the blocks turn out pretty.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

They DO, don't they!! I keep thinking with each different color choice...why didn't I think of that one???? Our gallery is going to be to "drool" for when the group is done!
Old 05-14-2011, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by sallylansing
My quilt guild has this quilt as their opportunity quilt for this year. The drawing will be done in June. Check out Orange Grove Quilters Guild web site. Also soon we'll have a picture of our quilt for next year, it's all animals, a mama possum with her babies, lots of applique and lots of embroidrey (all by hand)
Keep watching for the picture.
Sally
Wow Sally - your guild's AOTH looks fantastic!! :mrgreen: I've been thinking of a black tone on tone background. Maybe Baron's in Camarillo [going out of business] will have a dark green tone on tone ... although as I think about it the leaves on the flower blocks will simply drown.

I was looking through the book last night. I LOVE to hand applique especially in the eves with DH watching the tube. I have only two flowers left on the center wreath of "Amelia's Rose Garden" then the hand applique will be done. I'll post the site of one of the quilts done if you dont know the pattern.

Sally - I'll have to keep an eye on your guild and make the treck to come check it out sometime - if you go on the run, maybe we could meet up down there [and up here too for that matter.] I'm co-chairing our guild's quilt show end of September - Conejo Valley Quilt guild. Our opportunity quilt is also hand quilted and embellished this time - check it out! :-) In fact check out the main site too - this should take you immediately to the flyer ad.

http://www.conejovalleyquilters.com/...Poster_web.pdf

And if I find Amelia's Rose Garden... ah ha!! This is the one made by my LQS a few years ago [when I purchased - NOT made mine :roll: still a WIP!! at least it's out of the UFO stack :oops:

http://www.cottonandchocolate.com/ca...hp?category=42

If you go to thevintagespool.com you can see quick versions of it under the 'welcome' - it is Verna Mosquera's pattern. Her work is so spectacular - but I can't find her entire quilt up. [I should stay away from the site - as she has a few others I'd like to make.... AOTH FIRST!!!]

Ladies - if I havent said so before - officially in!! Gotta sort out the background but I will make it original size and applique from my stash with batiks and some Kaffe Fasset and other interesting prints probably on a mid-to-dark background to pop it. I'm also considering putting it on point... When I hand applique - I've tried freezer paper both on bottom & top, glue, needleturn ... I always come back to the needleturn for some reason [although I love the David Taylor method w/freezer paper] In finishing Amelia's wreath - I'll try to get some pics up soon - I got lazy and simply relied on tracing the pattern on background & applique sections, cutting scant 1/4" around and clipping as I approach.

Looking forward to this!! still catching up on all of your posts - on pg 30 now :roll: :oops: :cry:
Old 05-14-2011, 02:31 PM

I probably put people to sleep with my last very lengthy post!!
I'm checking out connecting threads for background fabrics [because I shouldnt be buying any but want to be sure I have enough of whatever I choose ...I have some very light cream on cream paisley -but not convinced I want to go that light... I just saw some clearance fabrics ...

http://www.connectingthreads.com/fab...ml?showAll=yes

I especially like the indigo Starlit - 4.76/yd and the various Mirage [2.96/yd] in pine, plum, or red violet... I also like the tonal in fern. decisions.... and I really dont know if that fabric is good quality??
anyone else used it
Old 05-14-2011, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Cre8tvlwyr
I probably put people to sleep with my last very lengthy post!!
I'm checking out connecting threads for background fabrics [because I shouldnt be buying any but want to be sure I have enough of whatever I choose ...I have some very light cream on cream paisley -but not convinced I want to go that light... I just saw some clearance fabrics ...

http://www.connectingthreads.com/fab...ml?showAll=yes

I especially like the indigo Starlit - 4.76/yd and the various Mirage [2.96/yd] in pine, plum, or red violet... I also like the tonal in fern. decisions.... and I really dont know if that fabric is good quality??
anyone else used it
Welcome to the group! I don't think you can go wrong picking any color background..as it seems all the photos posted by members who started the quilt show gorgeous blocks with all different backgrounds and colors..just go with what you love :P