Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 08-02-2011, 06:08 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pab58
Since we are doing applique, I thought I would post this link for an absolutely beautiful quilt that was posted on the QB. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-141940-1.htm

Well DeeCee, we have to have someone left to turn the lights off and close the door when we're done.:D :D BTW: how many blocks have you made so far? I've just started on my 10th.
wow, thanks for the link.
since I'm Nana 24/7 right now, I probably would have missed this beauty!
wow, is that ever right out of my favorites!!!! yummmmy! ;)
Old 08-02-2011, 06:25 PM
Power Poster

I sometimes want to skip around and do the eaesier-looking blocks first, but then I grit my teeth and just jump in and work on the next one in line. I'm sure if I waited to do the harder ones, they would come out much better, but then I wouldn't be able to see the REAL progress I've made as I work my way to the last block.

I KNOW that the only reason I have as many finished as I do is because of all the time I have on my hands to work on them. And Mousie has been so-o-o-o-o very busy with her little grandchildren that she hasn't had much time to herself at all. :?

I really like that we can work on these blocks at our own pace. I don't know if I could ever be able to do a RR because I would be working with a definite deadline. I would be so worried about how it would turn out and about the quality of my needlework that I would be too stressed. :shock: This quilt is just for me, and I can work on it at my own pace and not worry (too much) about how it's going and how it looks. :D :D
that' exactly why I was able to join along...can't sew too much for others.
I am on dial up and the kids are right here.
shh...I won't speak too loudly...dial up is letting me check blocks out a bit, knock on wood.
miss you guys a lot. ;-)
Old 08-02-2011, 06:31 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
Good for you jolo! Glad to see you back!

Since its 100F outside, its keeping me inside this week, so hope to get back on track.

There is a really interesting article on hand applique in the American Quilter mag. this month (I got mine yesterday). Its about using coffee filters to partially stitch your design together prior to putting it on your background. Really helps to get everything arranged properly vs doing it piece by piece....If you get the opportunity to read it...you should.
would that be the sept/oct issue?
It's getting harder to find mags if u don't have a subscription, and on price? the stores are showing no mercy on a single issue!
I'm going to try to remember to check at Joann's for it. I like to read up on all kinds of techniques for anything I'm interested in doing.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:52 PM
Power Poster

Sharon, is it that lint is sticking to it or does it look like the actual fibers have fuzzed? Does that make any sense?? :roll: :D I had some black fabric I bought from Keepsake Quilting -- their deep, velvety Amish black -- and when it was washed, it fuzzed a bit. Made it look like a black tee shirt looks after washing and drying. :?

My Kona black acts like a magnet for lint (i.e. threads, kitty hair, miscellaneous fuzzies) so when I'm finished stitching it, I use my lint roller and get all of the buggers off. 8-)
It is just lint from the other fabrics I dried with it :roll: Being cheap and so hot I wanted to only run the dryer once :? LOL Lesson learned - but I feel better that it is just the nature of the fabric :thumbup:
Old 08-02-2011, 06:53 PM
Power Poster

As for the rear squad I am firmly in that group as I just washed the background and got the patterns copied :oops: I want to do an easy block this weekend :wink: LOL
Old 08-02-2011, 09:12 PM

I just posted the embroidered version of my block 9 on that thread :) ...ok 4 done ...dont really know if I'm gonna do all 36 I'm lovin the way they are turning out but think it may be too busy so I'm trying to figure out whether to space them out with plain blocks or sashing ...will have to do a few more but may pick n choose my favorites.... then there's those quilt show quilts ughhhhh :oops:
Old 08-02-2011, 10:47 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sharon b
As for the rear squad I am firmly in that group as I just washed the background and got the patterns copied :oops: I want to do an easy block this weekend :wink: LOL
Slow progress is better than no progress - just keep moving forward if you can.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:05 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mousie
Originally Posted by sandpat
Good for you jolo! Glad to see you back!

Since its 100F outside, its keeping me inside this week, so hope to get back on track.

There is a really interesting article on hand applique in the American Quilter mag. this month (I got mine yesterday). Its about using coffee filters to partially stitch your design together prior to putting it on your background. Really helps to get everything arranged properly vs doing it piece by piece....If you get the opportunity to read it...you should.
would that be the sept/oct issue?
It's getting harder to find mags if u don't have a subscription, and on price? the stores are showing no mercy on a single issue!
I'm going to try to remember to check at Joann's for it. I like to read up on all kinds of techniques for anything I'm interested in doing.
Its the Sept. issue of American Quilter Mousie.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

oh, just wanted to add,...if this technique is stitching the filter to the right side of fabric, leaving a hole for turning -
I did this once, and I did not like the effect.
It made a layer under my fabric and when washed, it left the appliqued piece "crinkly" and I like smooth.
With the crinkly look, it is soft, but I like to be able to see the designs on the fabric. just a personal choice.
I thought I had come up with this idea years ago, when I did it to some duck pockets I made for one of grandbabies dresses.
I don't know when Eleanor Burns came up with it.
It worked with the pockets, and came out cute.
If I ever remember to get out the picture of the dress I'll post it,...probably in Mousepad,...or here...they are applique.
what are the chances I'll remember??? :roll: :lol:
Old 08-03-2011, 03:32 PM

whew! Im back
I fell off the mailer again, I dont know why it does that.

life has been so busy, I can only get one of these blocks done every 2 weeks or so (if Im lucky :wink: )

I have four finished now, one more that will probably be junked, and ALMOST done with #15 :D :D :D

I need to see if I can get good enough light to take a pic of our new puppies :D I am excited to share!

!!! I hope each of you are doing well!!!