Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 170 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread: Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

I'm in!
    Got my book already!
    Now, to figure out colors...haven't decided that yet, but will have to figure something out.
    I will enlarge the blocks since some of the pieces are small and I don't like small pieces to applique. Of course it will be machine done, my hand sewing is REALLY bad!

Blog Entries
    Welcome, Candi and Lucymae, congrats on that new grandbaby, we will forgive the lack of caps, LOL.

I will be happy to try and take pics of how I do my needleturn for those who haven't tried it. As for machine applique, I think the best advice would be to put stabilser behind as you stitch - I have a huge roll of tearaway stabliser I bought on ebay ages ago - it will probably last me the rest of my life, but it was a LOT cheaper to buy it in that quantity. Also, with the machine stitching, I think I would either fuse the pieces on, though that would result in a stiffness that would be good for a wall hanging, but not so good in a lap or bed quilt.

If you want to fuse, but want your quilt to remain soft, then I recommend using Elmer's School Glue. It will hold your pieces in place whilst you machine their edges, (iron to set it), then at the end of the day, you will be able to soak the quilt and the Elmers will be removed. Make sure it's the School Glue, not any of their other products.

I just wanted to add a note. This is a fabulous quilt. I made it a few years ago for my daughter's college graduation quilt. It has now been in 8 quilt shows and won 6 ribbons. The biggest being juried into AQS Knoxville 2009. The quilt took me 5 years to make and I did it completely by hand. I have seen it done several different ways and it is always a fabulous looking quilt. Have a lot of fun, and don't get discouraged, one block at a tme!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barbaraJane
    I just wanted to add a note. This is a fabulous quilt. I made it a few years ago for my daughter's college graduation quilt. It has now been in 8 quilt shows and won 6 ribbons. The biggest being juried into AQS Knoxville 2009. The quilt took me 5 years to make and I did it completely by hand. I have seen it done several different ways and it is always a fabulous looking quilt. Have a lot of fun, and don't get discouraged, one block at a tme!!!
    Wow, thank you for telling us about your quilt, and congratulations on all those ribbons. Do you have any pics of it that you could post for us please?

Thanks for all the info Lesley. Must get me some of that Elmers School glue as well. I have also ordered some template plastic and a special pen for marking the template so I can cut out my shapes.

Now going to look at how this baby is quilted as I want to QAYG

I have pics somewhere, I will try to get them up tonight.

Lesley, thanks for the welcome and help.

Barbarajane, congrats on all the ribbons. Would love to see a photo.

Butterflyspain,
    I would love to get more information on quilting this as you go, if you have a source, please share.

If I join this challenging endeavor,I'll be looking at using a machine appliqué method where you use starch and heat-resistant template, as well as glue to turn the edges under for machine appliqué. I took a class for tis technique last year, but didn't practice it much, it IS time consuming, but with my limited needle skills,I can achieve neater results with it than fusible appliqué, lol. And since this is to be done one block at a time, perhaps I'll have patience for it.

Ok, Ill be getting the book this week and hopefully I won't loose my faith in myself doing this, lol.

Blog Entries
    Oh my gosh, how I would love to do this because I love floral things, but it may be over my head. I'm not sure though, because I love to do machine applique. Still thinking ...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by candi
    Lesley, thanks for the welcome and help.

Barbarajane, congrats on all the ribbons. Would love to see a photo.

Butterflyspain,
    I would love to get more information on quilting this as you go, if you have a source, please share.

If I join this challenging endeavor,I'll be looking at using a machine appliqué method where you use starch and heat-resistant template, as well as glue to turn the edges under for machine appliqué. I took a class for tis technique last year, but didn't practice it much, it IS time consuming, but with my limited needle skills,I can achieve neater results with it than fusible appliqué, lol. And since this is to be done one block at a time, perhaps I'll have patience for it.

Ok, Ill be getting the book this week and hopefully I won't loose my faith in myself doing this, lol.
    No, don't lose faith in yourself before you have even started Candi - we will all be here to cheer you on, whicever method you choose. I made the Jane Stickle quilt last year, and when I started, I almost doubted my ability to do it, but its done and dusted now, and I am really pleased that I made it to the end.

This one has only 36 blocks in it, and the schedule is based on making one a week, so it should be withing reach of anyone who wants to start.

Barbara Jane, thank you, it would be nice to see those pics if you can find them.

Barbara Jane, would love to see pictures of your quilt! Congatulations on the ribbons!

Barbara jane I second that, looking forward to seeing a picture.

Candi, this was something we decided to do when doing the Dear Jane Quilt. There are several methods to choose from, the one I and quite a few others chose to do is really based on when you have made your block you then add the batting, leaving around 1/4 all round extra on the batting. Then you hand quilt it. when you get to the point of putting on your sashing you add the sashing as normal, sew all your rows of blocks together being careful to align all the blocks then you add your backing material. I will use the spray baste and pins to hold it in place, then you quilt in the ditch to hold the backing on.
    There are other ways whereby you can add the backing and then quilt and then sew each block together individually, at least that way you have the design on the back of your quilting design.

Hopeyou understand if not perhaps I can direct you to a tuturoial.

Elle

Lesley, thanks for the encouragement. I am always in way over my head, so I guess I'll stick to my usual and dive in. lol

Elle,
    Thanks, very clear, I am going to look into the method where I add the backing too so that when I am done, all I need to do is just add the washing and rows together. Thanks for the idea.

Ok, I am getting excited,can't wait to get the book and start planning this
    :P

Blog Entries
    rapraprap, taptaptap - that's fingers rapping on the table and toes tapping with impatience. Still waiting for my book. heavy sigh. Not that I would actually start immediately. (Too many "must do" projects right now) but......

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    rapraprap, taptaptap - that's fingers rapping on the table and toes tapping with impatience. Still waiting for my book. heavy sigh. Not that I would actually start immediately. (Too many "must do" projects right now) but......
    Poor Martina - so sorry yours hasn't arrived yet - surely it can't be much longer. Where did you order it from?

Ok, I'm in too. Oredered my book and it should be here this week. (fingers crossed) I will also be doing mine with a black back ground, and most likly batiks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    Poor Martina - so sorry yours hasn't arrived yet - surely it can't be much longer. Where did you order it from?
    amazon....and I haven't gotten a "this order has shipped" notice. Gotta go check what's up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilts4fun
    Ok, I'm in too. Oredered my book and it should be here this week. (fingers crossed) I will also be doing mine with a black back ground, and most likly batiks.
    Good for you - hurrah, another convert. Plenty of time to get both, and you really won't want big pieces of anything other than the background. A scrappy quilt could look very good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    amazon....and I haven't gotten a "this order has shipped" notice. Gotta go check what's up.
    Yes, I think you do Martina - they are usually very good in my experience. I hope nothing has gone wrong, especially as they seem to have the best prices.

I'm in! Will probably do needleturn and am not sure about colors yet. This would be a great summer project. I'll look for the book right now!
    Thanks, for the invite!
    lots2do

Just ordered what looks to be the last copy for now from Amazon and while I was at it found a copy of A Year of Flower Blocks which I've been wanting too. Happy b-day to me, a little early! :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lots2do
    Just ordered what looks to be the last copy for now from Amazon and while I was at it found a copy of A Year of Flower Blocks which I've been wanting too. Happy b-day to me, a little early! :)
    Oooh, a nice treat for you birthday, lovely.
    I think amazon themselves might not have many left, but they are listing 20 new from other suppliers from $13.30 and 14 used (which in my experience often means new too) from $11.68, so I think there will still be plenty to go round for a while yet.

Blog Entries
    Oh -guess what: Because my AOTH book is in with a PRE-order, it is scheduled to be shipped WITH the PRE-ordered release EARLY APRIL. ROFL - I am patient but not that much.

Blog Entries
    Oh good, looks like there are quite a few more joining in with the group! I'm so happy to see so many. Just so you all know...I'm usually in waaaayyy over my head with any project, but I have fun anyway and I usually DO get them finished!

I can't wait to see pics of the award winning quilt...please do show it!

Mad, you can have that shipment split shipped, can't you?

Blog Entries
    I may be crazy, but I'm in! I ordered my book from Amazon today. Can't wait to get it!!!

Blog Entries
    Nah, you aren't crazy! You'll fit right in with this crowd!

Page 2 of 170 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 52 102 ... LastLast