Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 170 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Thread: Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SewExtreme
    Ok, maybe because it is a crazy hour of the morning (4:30am) but I am intrigued and scared at the same time. I want to try doing this but if you knew me, you would know it is out of my comfort zone, truly... LOL!

I will order my book and try a block to kinow for sure. My motto in the past (as early as yesterday) has been "I don't do needle turn applique". But, Leslie, your idea of enlarging the block sounds like it might be doable for me. Leslie, are you saying that you are doing hand embroidery? I love to do hand embroidery but also sort of a novice at that also.

Will you all really hold my hand through all of this to the very end if I take the plunge? :shock: :shock: :shock:
    I promise, Linda - I will stick with you right to the very end of the schedule, holding your hand all the way. (short of illness, incapacity or death that is, LOL). I intend to take lots of pics on how I do things, to help out, cos I know that needleturn does sound kinda scary. But if it really gives you the heeby jeebies, you can always machine the bits down. The quilt I gave a link to on page one got a first ribbon, and that was all machined.

Blog Entries
    On the question of whether to embroider or not, take a look at these two pics of the first block on the schedule, and then you might be able to decided for yourself.

Detail of Block 9, before.
    Name:  Attachment-166370.jpe
Views: 108
Size:  54.4 KB

And after
    Name:  Attachment-166371.jpe
Views: 104
Size:  65.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    On the question of whether to embroider or not, take a look at these two pics of the first block on the schedule, and then you might be able to decided for yourself.
    Lesley, my problem is that I don't have an embroidery machine, but I do agree decorated blocks look so much prettier. I have done very minor hand embroidery work, and if you guide me when time comes, I may be able to pull something off,lol.

Linda, dive in. I keep telling myself, what is the worst thing that can happen if I started this? Get so overwhelmed and never finish :mrgreen: that is not a huge deal now, is it :?: :-) :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
    The quilt is the Costa Rican Cartwheel from "Mariner's Comapss Quilts: Setting a New Course" by Judy Mathieson. It is paper pieced and around 50 some inches square.

Don't worry about getting off course with this group. These ladies (me, too) will talk about anything even if it is off topic. Don't mind in the least.
    Well, it is gorgeous! I love it.

Blog Entries
    Hey Linda...we'll all hold your hand all the way through and sing "Kumbaya" if you'd like :D: I'm really happy to see lots of folks wanting to learn and grow. I can't begin to tell you how much I learned making the DJ quilt and I'm certain that I will learn making this quilt too. So...don't be scared! This is supposed to be fun!

BarbaraJane...wow..your quilt if fabulous! So, are you gonna stick around to give us all some tips too??? Please???

Thanks to Kathy for hosting and coordinating and Lesley for her support!

I'm in for this one!!! I have the book and have decided to enlarge my blocks for 10" finished blocks. I am considering a cream background with reds and pinks, although I have a wonderful bundle of batiks, in my stash, that I purchased at a quilt show a couple years ago that are jumping up and down staying "use us, its our turn" :lol:

There is plenty of time to decide!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wilhelmina
    Thanks to Kathy for hosting and coordinating and Lesley for her support!

I'm in for this one!!! I have the book and have decided to enlarge my blocks for 10" finished blocks. I am considering a cream background with reds and pinks, although I have wonderful bundle of batiks, in my stash, that I purchased at a quilt show a couple years that are jumping up and down staying "use us, its our turn" :lol:

There is plenty of time to decide!
    Both are nice ideas, Wil - make two LOL! I enlarged the blocks in the book by 142%, and they sit very nicely on my background (which I have cut into 11in squares for wiggle room to trim).

Blog Entries
    Meredith...I'm so glad you reconsidered and are doing it! It will be hard to choose between the colors you are describing...both would be so pretty!

As for the embroidery...it looks like a lot of it is just a stem stitch...it is really not hard. I learned it when I was a teen and had to "decorate" my jeans. Remember those big flowers that everyone put on their jean legs?

I plan to buy some Razzle Dazzle thread for some of the embelishment. Oh, and I forgot to mention, mine will be machine appliqued! Also, I am planning to use Elmer's School Glue as suggested by Lesley. :D

Blog Entries
    Since you are not actually starting till June, I would like to join in. I just ordered my book from Amazon and it should be here next week.
    I am undecided whether to make my blocks the original size or larger. How do we enlarge the blocks?
    I am going to make mine using batiks with a black background. I have never used black as a background, should be interesting!
    Phyllis

I will possibly chck in from time to time, but I have several other projects going right now, so I won't be making another heart quilt. But I saw the notice and avatar of a "Chocolate Jane" . Now that combines ideas of 2 quilts that I very much wanted to make. I have started Dear Jane several times, but can't get excited about my colors. But who could resist Chocolate. And the LQS 1/2 block from my apt has some beautiful chocolate fabric I am drooling over, and it goes on sale tomorrow. I think that may be inspiration meets perfect timing.

Blog Entries
    I am in then.

Kathy, thank you for hosting this and for all of your encouragement to the inexperienced. You too Leslie, I have long admired your work. Candi thanks for your encouragement. Barbara, what a beautiful quilt. I especially love your light border. It showcases your blocks so well.

Going to order my book today. I am planning to do black background with Kona. I have heard there are two Kona blacks. Not sure which one I will use.

I will try to learn the needle turn, Leslie, with your guidance and photos. I do like hand sewing but am not very nimble with my large fingers. Haven't decided on whether to do the embroidery by hand (I do simple embroidery almost every night and when traveling in the car) or use that beautiful Razzle Dazzle with couching. The sparkly would certainly set off the colors.

Forgot to mention I love and wear bright colors and have lots in my stash. The black should set those colors off very well.

Sewwww much to learn and such great company. Thank you everyone. :-D

Linda

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sunrise450
    Since you are not actually starting till June, I would like to join in. I just ordered my book from Amazon and it should be here next week.
    I am undecided whether to make my blocks the original size or larger. How do we enlarge the blocks?
    I am going to make mine using batiks with a black background. I have never used black as a background, should be interesting!
    Phyllis
    Sunrise, a photocopier will do the trick nicely for enlarging your blocks. Do you know what finished size you want them to be? and I'll work it out for you.

Blog Entries
    I am in then.

Kathy, thank you for hosting this and for all of your encouragement to the inexperienced. You too Leslie, I have long admired your work. Candi thanks for your encouragement. Barbara, what a beautiful quilt. I especially love your light border. It showcases your blocks so well.

Going to order my book today. I am planning to do black background with Kona. I have heard there are two Kona blacks. Not sure which one I will use.

I will try to learn the needle turn, Leslie, with your guidance and photos. I do like hand sewing but am not very nimble with my large fingers. Haven't decided on whether to do the embroidery by hand (I do simple embroidery almost every night and when traveling in the car) or use that beautiful Razzle Dazzle with couching. The sparkly would certainly set off the colors.

Forgot to mention I love and wear bright colors and have lots in my stash. The black should set those colors off very well.

Sewwww much to learn and such great company. Thank you everyone. :-D

Linda
    I have the ordinary Kona black (from Hancocks of Paducah, which is the best price I have found) I think there is a premium version, but I don't know where you would get that.

A little bit nearer the time, I thought I would do some samples of stitches, (hand and machine) etc i.e. various techniques that I will post so that you can all have a practice before getting started proper and decide which you will use in your particular quilt. Is that a good idea?

Blog Entries
    [quote=Lacelady]
    I am in then.

A little bit nearer the time, I thought I would do some samples of stitches, (hand and machine) etc i.e. various techniques that I will post so that you can all have a practice before getting started proper and decide which you will use in your particular quilt. Is that a good idea?
    Oh, yes Leslie, your idea of doing samples prior to the starting date is terrific. I am so thankful the starting date is in June. I am scheduled for left hip total replacement mid March. I predict I should be back at my sewing machine, etc. by end of April if not sooner. Sewwww, I will be ready.

PS: I didn't know that Amazon carries fabric, even Kona. Not sure how competive their prices are though.

execelent idea to me.

Blog Entries
    Oh thank you so much for offering! I am going to do 10" blocks. I don't know the exact measurements but I am guessing that should fit our queen size bed. DH will love it!
    Phyllis

Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    Quote Originally Posted by sunrise450
    Phyllis
    Sunrise, a photocopier will do the trick nicely for enlarging your blocks. Do you know what finished size you want them to be? and I'll work it out for you.

Lesley, your idea sounds terrify ! I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my book.

Ok, I actually have to google couching as I don't even know what that is. :oops: you all can have a chuckle...

Ok I am in, we started this as a BOM at a LQS and the shop closed so mine never got finished just tucked away. I know I won't complete a block a week but will try to keep up. My goal is to complete it by the end of the year. So far I think I have 10 blocks done. I am doing mine in 2 color ways 1 on black background and the other a light grey with only batiks.

I'm in, and so glad I found this quilt-a-long. This will be just the thing for me. I have wanted to make a special quilt for a long time and with all the encouragement from all of you wonderful people it will be so much fun. I ordered my book today. I think I will use black w/ batik all from my accumulated fabrics. I also think I will enlarge the block size to 10". The embroidery really does enhance the whole block. Trish

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crochetetc
    Ok I am in, we started this as a BOM at a LQS and the shop closed so mine never got finished just tucked away. I know I won't complete a block a week but will try to keep up. My goal is to complete it by the end of the year. So far I think I have 10 blocks done. I am doing mine in 2 color ways 1 on black background and the other a light grey with only batiks.
    Good for you - it will be an ideal time to get going again and finish change your UFO into a WIP! What's more, you will have a 10 week head start! (or is it a five week head start because you started two?)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trish b
    I'm in, and so glad I found this quilt-a-long. This will be just the thing for me. I have wanted to make a special quilt for a long time and with all the encouragement from all of you wonderful people it will be so much fun. I ordered my book today. I think I will use black w/ batik all from my accumulated fabrics. I also think I will enlarge the block size to 10". The embroidery really does enhance the whole block. Trish
    We will do our level best to keep you going - and get you to the end so you have a wonderful quilt especially for you!

Good for you - it will be an ideal time to get going again and finish change your UFO into a WIP! What's more, you will have a 10 week head start! (or is it a five week head start because you started two?)[/quote]

I will have to dig it out and see what blocks I have done and compare your order to what I was following!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by candi
    Lesley, your idea sounds terrify ! I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my book.

Ok, I actually have to google couching as I don't even know what that is. :oops: you all can have a chuckle...
    Don't start worrying too soon Candi, I promise to provide lots of pics of different techniques well before we actually start, so you can try out and practice different ones to help you decide exactly what you will use on your own quilt. Couching is a method of laying a (usually thicker) thread on the surface, holding it down either with small hand stitches or with a small zig zag on the machine. I will do pics of both a bit later on.

Sew Extreme try Equilter.com for Kona fabrics, they have a great range at 4.95$. Living in Spain I get nearly all my fabrics from them they have a really good service and good quality fabric. Check them out.

I am waiting on some Lemon background fabric from them. I also have some lovely batiks so may use them still dithering my do an all different blues on the lemon that could work too.

I tried to get the gold cording for the embroidery area but they were sold out. Its very fine and I will couch it when I get my hands on it.

Elle

Page 4 of 170 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 54 104 ... LastLast