Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 04-24-2011, 01:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JudyG
Originally Posted by sandpat
.I struggle with the "innies" too..as a matter of fact, I'm working on block # 26 right now and messing up those innies :roll:..I'm going to use fray check and I'm adding a few extra stitches at those points and then I'll pray that it stays. Lesley can help us though I bet...
I watched a Karen Kay Buckley video last night and her suggestion for the innie points seems to work really well. I have done half a dozen today the way she suggested and they certainly look much better and more stable than all the others I have done. I think we all know we're supposed to take some extra stitches right at the inner point. Her suggestion is that you stitch to within a couple of stitches of the inner point before you cut to the point. Make the cut as exactly in the center as you can so each side of the point has the same amount of fabric (not much!) Then you run your needle from just the other side of the point to where you have finished stitching, turning under what seam allowance you have. Take the remaining stitches to get to the point. At the point itself, you take 3 stitches, one on the right side of the point, one directly at the point and one to the left of the point. The trick is that when you take these 3 stitches you don't stitch into the background fabric, you only take the stitches in the applique piece itself. And you take a little tug on the stitches to pull the fabric tight. Then you start stitching up the other side. I noticed on the ones I did this way that I don't have the fraying that I've seen in my other pieces where I took all the stitches into the background fabric.

I don't know if I've explained it very well, but it works. You don't want to make the stitches very deep, just a couple of threads worth. Try it and see if it helps.

Oh, I forgot to say welcome to Toomanyufo's. You'll love this group.
Welcome Toomany - Judy put it very well, and Patti has already suggested what I was going to say (about using Fraycheck) if you are in any doubt.

Kathy, although they aren't members, (I keep trying to get them to join) I have three Sligo Quilters who also have the book and are going to make this quilt. One has two needle turned blocks under her belt, another is going to machine hers, and the third is still procrastinating about background fabric.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:14 AM

Michele invited me to lunch at Easter and we had a lovely day. I have just heard from her and she is busy on her 3rd block. Hats off to her though she is doing the 7" version. Those are tiddly pieces. I don´t know if she has posted any of her blocks yet. Will have to ask her.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:16 AM

Thanks so much for the warm welcome and thanks for the suggestions. I actually got a pattern of Karen Buckley's for Christmas and she shows to use the 3 stitches in the inside point, but doesn't say not to go into the background fabric. I will experiment. I am wondering if I should purchase the video. This AOTH pattern with all those hearts and inside points will be a challenge for me
Old 04-24-2011, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for the tip on the innies...I'll try that. I certainly hadn't ever had anyone tell me to stitch and NOT go into the background...sounds like I need to do the experimenting. On the block I did last night, the embroidery covers the innie point..so I won't be worrying about that one. Toomanyufo's...if I can needle turn the 7" blocks...believe me...you CAN do this quilt!

Elle, I haven't seen any of her blocks posted, I don't think..but, tell her good job!

I like it that we even have some OTP (Over the pond) OBer's (off board) joining us! LOL!!
Old 04-24-2011, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by TOOMANYUFO'S
Thanks so much for the warm welcome and thanks for the suggestions. I actually got a pattern of Karen Buckley's for Christmas and she shows to use the 3 stitches in the inside point, but doesn't say not to go into the background fabric. I will experiment. I am wondering if I should purchase the video. This AOTH pattern with all those hearts and inside points will be a challenge for me
Welcome to the group TOOMANYUFO'S and I agree you will love this group.

I dug up some information, that someone here may like to know:
DMC has a gold thread #5282 - 25 meters or 27.3 yards - 100% Polyester (another number on the tag is F 75579 Paris Cedex 12 - Made in Belgium) - see attached block. The only drawback it that I had to wind each bobbin by hand with help from my DH - 3 bobbins per skein and I used invisible thread on the top - I also used the white pencil (for my fingernails) to mark on the back of each square, and a clear foot to enable me to see where to stitch (it looks like it was hand embroidered), as the thread is twisted on the skein. I tried using it by hand, but it frayed - the lady at the store suggested that by machine it worked better. It worked out really well for me.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-188348.jpe  
Old 04-24-2011, 05:57 AM

D. Rickman, your block is beautiful!
Old 04-24-2011, 06:00 AM

Wow Donna, that looks really lovely. Has off to you for that idea.

Elle
Old 04-24-2011, 06:58 AM

Very pretty block, D. Glad you figured out how to use the thread you want to for the embroidery. Love the colors in that block.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JudyG
Very pretty block, D. Glad you figured out how to use the thread you want to for the embroidery. Love the colors in that block.
Ditto, I love your choice of colours Donna and the thread has worked out very well.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:35 AM

Absoultely beautiful. I am also doing bobbin work, but mine is not nearly as good as yours. I am so jerky. Your quilt is going to be stunning!