Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 04-19-2011, 05:55 AM

Wonder why we get dropped from the topics,I post comments etc and then dont get the topic anymore. Was following along with you guys,but not doin the blocks as I ordered the wrong book,but still enjoyed watching. Jo
Old 04-19-2011, 06:08 AM

I did the freezer paper the way Elle suggested and it was much faster. I may use that method for select pieces, but I want to do needleturn without anything as much as possible. Kind of a personal goal.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:11 AM

OOps, talked about the wrong blocks above, I am still dong the AOTH, I have 4 blocks made, but did quit getting the topic notification. Hope this will re start it. I have a lot of catching up to do on the reading tho. I ran into some one with a cold and with my immune system mess up and my respiratory challange I have reall gotton behing am finally feeling better and not coughing now so maybe I will catch up . Am ready for the June startup. lol
Old 04-19-2011, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

jolo...hope you get fully recovered soon! Make sure that the "watch topic" is checked for things you want to keep up with.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:44 AM

All help appreciated. Thankyou...
Old 04-19-2011, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

Crafty one, sorry, I haven't ever used freezer paper for applique, partly because for a long time I couldn't get some, so I just got stuck in and did it the needleturn way. Elle is definitely doing hers using that method, so she might have a comment on this, but I always say whatever works for you is the best way.

I'm so pleased you found a good way for you - it will make this quilt a lot more pleasurable to get done, won't it.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:00 PM

Linda Ann...glad you are back and feeling well.

I got all 36 blocks enlarged to 10" today. Number 22 looks extremly scary...I just may do my own simple version on that one,lol. Meanwhile, I picked out some fabrics for block 9 and will attempt to work on it as I can this week...which will be very busy between work and Holy Week serivices at Church...but hey keeps me sane!

I do have a question about embroidery though, I haven't picked out my thread for that yet...I'll be attempting hand embroidery and want to get the first block done to see what color to use, but my question is about the DMC floss...it seems as there are different kinds at places like JoAnn's and Michaels, I have no clue which to buy...any pointers out there? Also, what kind of needle for that? I have some needles that say "Embroidery" and it is a pack of different sizes, is that what I use and how do I tell the size I should be using?
Thanks for the help, ladies. When I say I know nothing about sewing, itis so true! And no one in my famly does either, lol, how did we survive :mrgreen: :?:
Old 04-19-2011, 04:29 PM

Hi, everyone! I got the straightening-upbug badly this weekend, so I was moving stuff around & I came across 4 AOTH block patterns that I had enlarged to 10" size. I have already done them in 7" size, but these look huge compared to mine!

I have cut out nearly 200 small hearts (only 3 per fabric, so it's as scrappy as my blocks) to slap down the center of the inner borders. I have decided that the border will be 2" finished so there is a bit of black space to highlight the hearts. They will be nested, but pointy end to pointy end at the very center. Will decide what the 4 corners will be like when these are done. Probably a bit larger heart with a fancier point tip on the diagonal of each corner. Am probably going to meander along one side, then the other with the Razzle Dazzle to give it a bit of life. I discovered that I can use invisible thread and stitch continuously down 1 side & back up the other.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:35 PM
Power Poster

Oh, that sounds very cool Kathy! Will that be the inner border and then what is the outer border gonna be???? Inquiring minds and all that....:wink:
Old 04-19-2011, 04:54 PM

I haven't started on my AOTH yet, but I have accumulated about everything I need. I need to go to the print shop and have my patterns enlarged. I am doing the 10" blocks. I finaly finished quilting my DGD quilt today (The Monster Quilt) and I hope to do the border tomorrow between 5 other things on my calendar. I will then make the label for the back and God willing, I will be able to give it to her this Easter Sunday. That leaves me with my DGS quilt out of his old T-shirts. I hope everything goes smoothly with his quilt and then I will be ready to start AOTH. HOORAY!!!!! I am jealous of all of the JTG who have so many blocks completed. I hope this summer will be uneventful and I can get a lot of quilting done.