Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 04-18-2011, 03:00 AM
Power Poster

Linda, so glad you are making a good recovery, good to have you back with us.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:18 AM

Linda,
Glad you are feeling better and your recovery is going well. Isn't it strange that our notifications drop and suddenly we are hundreds of posts behind? Can't wait to see your blocks. I am new to both applique and embroidery and study everything I can to try to improve my skills. So far, I'm having mixed results.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:53 AM

Welcome back, Linda. Glad to hear you're doing well and getting ready to sew again.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:17 PM
Power Poster

Yea Linda!!! Glad to see you back and recouping well. I know what you mean about watching those videos...but aren't you glad you can! its the next best thing to being there...:lol:

If you see us refer to something you might have missed, just ask...somebody will fill you in on the details.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Hi Everyone! Thought I better catch up with y'all... I seem to have been dropped from notifications of new entries. Oh well.

Ok, so recovery from hip replacement is going well. I have been doing some studying of applique with the help of a Karen Kay Buckley video. Wow. I feel like I know her now since she has been in my living room for a while... ha-ha

I am encouraged and as soon as I get caught up on some swaps I am ready to give applique a try.

Don't think I can possibly read all the pages you have been creating while I have been gone. So, I think I will just pick up from here. Unless you think there is something I should go back and review. :-D :-D

Linda Ann
Welcome back O Bionic One! Glad to see you're feeling better!
Old 04-18-2011, 08:49 PM

Welcome back Linda, good to hear you are doing well.

I accidently just learned something, and thought I would share with everyone, how well it worked out. I was having issues getting my points and curves to look half decent. I work on one template at a time and I accidently placed my material onto freezer paper with the wax side up, instead of facing down, took my iron and was working on one of the points and thought that went really well, as the material stayed in place, then was working on an inside curve, and realized OMG I've got the wax side up, and its holding everything in place - now my points are really pointy and the curves also look terrific. Or is this the correct way to do applique? Just learning!!
Old 04-18-2011, 09:12 PM

Whenever I use freezer paper, I always use it wax side up and lightly iron. Not sure if it is the "right way" or not but it has always worked well for me. The paper peels off nicely when you finish with the applique, so no worries there! I'll be anxious to here Lesley's take on this.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:55 PM

Now how stupid do I feel, just checked on a beginners tutorial on how to applique using freezer paper, and that is the correct way. I was taught differently, I think they forgot to tell us to turn over the heart so the wax was on the top side. That is soooooooooo much easier than what I was doing..... OMG and I paid for that class!!
Old 04-18-2011, 10:18 PM

Well now what did I tell ya all. When you cut out the shape use the shiney side down and iron it on and cut, now flip it and do you seams, I did say

Elle
Old 04-19-2011, 05:19 AM
Power Poster

LOL...I've tried both ways. I say that you should do it which ever way works the best for YOU!

Personally...I'm trying to learn how to do it with just a needle...no paper....so go well..some not quite so well, but I'm getting there!!

I finally finished that blasted block #22 (after I think 14 hours!)...GRRRR!!! I'm not all that happy with some of the points..but with a 7" block..these are as good as I'm going to get them until I have years more practice..so I'm NOT doing it over!! I'll post a pic of the block on that thread in a few minutes.