Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 04-25-2011, 08:14 AM

Donna, to make sure I understand what you did ...

Did you draw your lines with the white (fingernail) pencil on the wrong side of the fabric, put the floss in a bobbin in the machine, put invisible thread on the top of the machine and sewed from the wrong side? To me, that's the definition of bobbin work, but I just want to make sure I'm understanding right. Patti, I too, have done that exactly once. :lol:

For applique methods, I think I have come up with what to do. I really don't like frayed or open edges, but want to do machine applique. I want to use the freezer paper/starch method to create my pieces, then stitch them on using a blanket stitch. How does that sound? I can create a sample tonight and post it if y'all want.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:21 AM

7X that will look really good as well. Blanket stitch always gives a good finish to the edge.

This bobbin work has got me interested as I have never ever tried it. I suppose any thread in the boobin will more or less work, so I could put my silk thread ion my bobbin and go from there, It would be fun to try this method out.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:01 AM

Donna, I love your block.
Thanks for the information about the bobbin work...now I am thinking I want to try it.

I am assuming you have to adjust the bobbin ension with these right?
Old 04-25-2011, 09:06 AM

Donna, your block is really beautiful! That gold thread is elegant on it. I've seen that metallic thread before -- aren't there also other colors, like silver and copper?
Old 04-25-2011, 09:10 AM

The one time I did bobbin work, I remember them stressing that you don't put the thread/floss through the tension disk in the bobbin area. It's just free flowing thread/floss coming off the bobbin and will get caught in whatever the thread is you're using on the top.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:25 AM

I've been working on block #11 (my third block), and am seriously thinking about redoing it. Lesley, you said you did your embroidery first, then attached it to the background? Did you put the center flower on before also? I did and now I'm having issues with lining up my center piece on the background. It's all out of whack.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
The one time I did bobbin work, I remember them stressing that you don't put the thread/floss through the tension disk in the bobbin area. It's just free flowing thread/floss coming off the bobbin and will get caught in whatever the thread is you're using on the top.
Good Morning.

Thanks for the compliments, I'm really happy how this is finally all coming together........I tried sewing with this thick DMC on a spare piece of cloth before I actually used it on my good squares...but didn't have to make any adjustments to my tensions.

QuilterX7, in response to your questions - Yes that is bobbin work that I am doing, and I threaded the bobbin the same way as doing normal sewing - my bernina machine works well with all threads no matter what the thickness of any threads that I have used.

Yes I do put the thread through the tension disk in the bobbin area, and thought I would have to adjust the top tension, but I DID NOT have to adjust any of the tensions.

I hope this has helped answer your questions.

Ducky - I did see that she also carried a silver twisted thread, the same as the gold I am using.

Have a great day ladies...
Old 04-25-2011, 12:05 PM

Oh wonderful, thank you so much Donna. I have a Bernina 180E, so maybe I'll try this on the Bernina. And I like the idea of doing the bobbin work first, then doing the applique so the ends will get buried. Need to practice first.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:13 PM

Donna, thanks for the information.I want to try that, maybe my Bernina will be like yours and I won't need to adjust tension.

Quilter7x...that is a good idea to do the embroidery first and then applique... I want to practice that and see. Thanks for the idea. The plan is to work on this next week...I am taking my machine for its annual service tomorrow, it will be worked on while I am out of town, will pick her up on the way home on Sunday...and hopefully test an AOTH block sometime next week...
Old 04-25-2011, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ducky
I've been working on block #11 (my third block), and am seriously thinking about redoing it. Lesley, you said you did your embroidery first, then attached it to the background? Did you put the center flower on before also? I did and now I'm having issues with lining up my center piece on the background. It's all out of whack.
Ducky, you can do it either way. In my case I put the flower in the middle of my coloured BG, did the embroidery, and then appliqued the coloured BG onto the black. Finally the corner flowers were added with their centre circles last of all. If you go down this route, allow PLENTY round your coloured BG in case it doesn't want to line up very well (i.e. at least half an inch, which you can trim as you go along)

But you could do it all the other way round. Applique the coloured BG to your main BG, (at this point I would cut away the main BG from behind) then continue with all the heart flowers and centres, then finish with the embroidery.

Don't lose heart, where there is a will, there is a way.