Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 04-25-2011, 03:57 PM
Power Poster

Ducky, I'm glad Lesley explained...that was exactly what I was going to suggest. Also,I am marking my background on the face of the fabric and then also marking the applique piece on the backside. I line up those markings and pin it in place so that it behaves nicely. Sounds like you need to give your piece a good quaking too...

On the tension adjustment issue...in the class that I took, she suggested a couple of things that are helpful. If you plan on doing LOTS of bobbin work- buy an extra bobbin..if you only do it occasionally- just use the one you have. Its easy to adjust- hold the tail of your thread in your right hand, hold the bobbin in your left hand below it. Drop the bobbin, it should drop about 1-2" freely, then stop. You should have to gently shake it with your right hand to make it drop again...this is "correct tension"..if it falls to the floor releasing a kabillion miles of thread...its too loose. If it doesn't move down at all...its too tight. :wink: I don't think you always need to adjust it..depends on what thread you are using... I can't remember whether she put the thread through the tension disc or not..(says the expert who has done this exactly 1 time- LOL!!)
Old 04-25-2011, 05:03 PM

Elle, I've even heard about putting silk ribbon in the bobbin - either on Sewing with Nancy or Simply Quilts with Alex Anderson - can't remember which one. Have to hand wind bobbin with the ribbon. might really be pretty. I don't remember if they showed it, or not.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:05 PM

Candi, I have a Janome 6600P with a top-load drop-in bobbin. I don't have to do anything to my bobbin's tension. However, I did find out how to do it, if I need to. Don't really want to mess with it. Might invest in another bobbin race if I decide I need to.
Edit: I thread the bobbin just like normal, don't skip over anyplace.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:00 AM

I finished putting the center piece on my background fabric for #11. It turned out okay........if you take off your glasses, stand in the dark about 50 yards away. I decided it isn't going to be redone. We'll have similar patterns in the future and I'll just consider this a learning exercise. By the time I'm done with this, I'll be very, very tired of learning.

That bobbin sewing seems like something I wouldn't want to try to tackle. You all do beautiful work with it, but I think it would throw this brain into overload.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ducky
I finished putting the center piece on my background fabric for #11. It turned out okay........if you take off your glasses, stand in the dark about 50 yards away. I decided it isn't going to be redone. We'll have similar patterns in the future and I'll just consider this a learning exercise. By the time I'm done with this, I'll be very, very tired of learning.

That bobbin sewing seems like something I wouldn't want to try to tackle. You all do beautiful work with it, but I think it would throw this brain into overload.
Well done Ducky - just think, you will have added yet another skill to your quilting repertoire by the time this one is on the bed. And I bet you are exagerating that 50 yards!!! LOL.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
Candi, I have a Janome 6600P with a top-load drop-in bobbin. I don't have to do anything to my bobbin's tension. However, I did find out how to do it, if I need to. Don't really want to mess with it. Might invest in another bobbin race if I decide I need to.
Edit: I thread the bobbin just like normal, don't skip over anyplace.
Thanks, Kathy. I will test it in my bobbin and see if tension needs adjustment. I do know how to adjust the bobbin tension if I need to though.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:02 PM

I finally finished the "monster quilt" for my DGD and sent it home on Easter Sunday. It would have cost me a fortune to mail that thing. It was to be a king-size quilt but when I put it on my king-size bed with a pillow-top mattress it turned out to be a bedspread. My sewing table looks so nice and neat. Tomorrow I am going to start on my youngest GS's quilt and then I will be free to start AOTH.
Can you hear the Hallejuiah Chorus in the background?
Old 04-26-2011, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Fabric Galore
I finally finished the "monster quilt" for my DGD and sent it home on Easter Sunday. It would have cost me a fortune to mail that thing. It was to be a king-size quilt but when I put it on my king-size bed with a pillow-top mattress it turned out to be a bedspread. My sewing table looks so nice and neat. Tomorrow I am going to start on my youngest GS's quilt and then I will be free to start AOTH.
Can you hear the Hallejuiah Chorus in the background?
Losie, thats great news. I wondered what that singing was in my head lol
Old 04-26-2011, 12:17 PM

Thinking on this one. Ordered the book. Plan to use some pretty fabric I've been saving. Won't get started until towards the middle of June, after vacation. This is a gorgeous project...thanks!
Old 04-26-2011, 12:19 PM

Oh great, welcom to the group Emerald