Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 02-27-2011, 02:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
Originally Posted by Fabric Galore
I feel so far behind. I have my book and fabric but I haven't washed any of my fabrics or tried to hand applique. I am still involved on another project and I can only spare the time for 1 project and then move on to the next. I hate to leave things unfinished and rarely do. I hope this quilt starts to go smoother so I can finish it.
Don't fret - this doesn't start until June 5. :-) You will have plenty of time to finish your other project. And besides, we won't hang you from the nearest tree if you aren't on the same block as the schedule has - we just want everyone to have fun & enjoy the process.
Losie, I agree with Kathy - you aren't behind at all - especially as the start date is still three months away. I am really the only one who has 'jumped the gun' though some others had tried a little bit, mainly as practice, and might get sucked in earlier, depending on their committments.

Kathy, what possessed you to tell that guy you would do another one for him??? Does your job depend on it??? I would have told him not to even think about it until after Christmas! (preferably 2012)
Old 02-27-2011, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by maine ladybug
I will say that if I were making it for a young person, I would use machine applique. It will be beautiful and I think, will hold up to use a little better. That's just my opinion.

Originally Posted by Obsessed
I'm hoping that one of the more experienced hand-appliquers can answer a question. I am planning to make this quilt for my (very young) daughter, and I am having second thoughts about hand appliqueing. This quilt may need to be washed fairly often. Even treating it very gently, will hand applique hold up well to washing? I'm wondering if I shouldn't take this opportunity to work on my machine applique....

I am committed to my idea of making this for my daughter with a white background and lots of pink and purple batiks - that hasn't changed (amazingly enough) - I'm just questioning my planned method. Any input?
Thanks Joan - I think you're right. I am going to try freezer paper, lots of starch to iron the edges under and invisible thread with a narrow zig-zag and see how that works. The finished AOTH that someone posted where the woman used satin stitch for the applique was beautiful, but my satin stitch wouldn't be nearly as nice.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:51 AM

Lesley, I have never told any warden "No" to anything requested of me. I may have modified the request due to size request. Like the Pink Ribbon Quilt I made back in October - they had wanted a kingsize - I made it 72" square!

I have to realize that in these tight budget times, my job could be eliminated at a second's notice. It isn't all that necessary to the security of the facility, but is a nice program. I love my job, so I don't want to give them any fuel for the fire, so to speak. I don't really mind, it's just that I want to work on something for ME!!!! (translates - I wanna join the JTG club!!!!) This quilt will be a small wallhanging with a lady's name & job title on it. I think I'm going to put the company logo on it, too.

I did tell them that my plate was very full now & I'm a slow eater! :-)
Old 02-27-2011, 05:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
Lesley, I have never told any warden "No" to anything requested of me. I may have modified the request due to size request. Like the Pink Ribbon Quilt I made back in October - they had wanted a kingsize - I made it 72" square!

I have to realize that in these tight budget times, my job could be eliminated at a second's notice. It isn't all that necessary to the security of the facility, but is a nice program. I love my job, so I don't want to give them any fuel for the fire, so to speak. I don't really mind, it's just that I want to work on something for ME!!!! (translates - I wanna join the JTG club!!!!) This quilt will be a small wallhanging with a lady's name & job title on it. I think I'm going to put the company logo on it, too.

I did tell them that my plate was very full now & I'm a slow eater! :-)
It might not be necessary to the security, but you surely keep the inmates focussed on something calming and passive - which must be VERY good for the overall running of the place.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

Ducky, I love the way the denim looks with your little beauties all laying on it! Thanks for posting the pics.

I played last night with a "test" block loading it on EQ. Has anyone else done this?? I couldn't figure out how to do anything with it other than to trace it, then color it. I may try to scan some more blocks today. Its lots of fun, but I can see where its going to be time consuming to put the whole quilt on EQ. The blocks aren't hard to trace though (well, block 8 wasn't) as the shapes are actually easy and limited.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:29 AM

Patti, I have EQ5 and I haven't even thought about tracing it in there, probably won't...I am going to go to the print shop and copy the patterns enlarged to 10". And I sort of started calculating how much yardage I will need for the background and borders doing the blocks this size.

Now I must say, you all keep distracting me....I shouldn't be working on this quilt yet,lol :mrgreen: but I can't resist,lol

Originally Posted by sandpat
Ducky, I love the way the denim looks with your little beauties all laying on it! Thanks for posting the pics.

I played last night with a "test" block loading it on EQ. Has anyone else done this?? I couldn't figure out how to do anything with it other than to trace it, then color it. I may try to scan some more blocks today. Its lots of fun, but I can see where its going to be time consuming to put the whole quilt on EQ. The blocks aren't hard to trace though (well, block 8 wasn't) as the shapes are actually easy and limited.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

Well, my thought was that I could play with the blocks, turn them on point, etc. and really decide how I wanted to do the quilt and also play with color placement. When I did Jane, I ended up doing really scrappy and struggled with fabric choices all the way through. This way I could decide beforehand....but it might not happen.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Well, my thought was that I could play with the blocks, turn them on point, etc. and really decide how I wanted to do the quilt and also play with color placement. When I did Jane, I ended up doing really scrappy and struggled with fabric choices all the way through. This way I could decide beforehand....but it might not happen.
I think it is a great idea, Patti. Please show us if you do. The reason I said I wasn't going to do it, because it'll take me a while to trace all 36 blocks in EQ5 and I am too lazy to take the time to do it...I thought I'll just play with layouts once I get the blocks done and just buy a lot extra yardage just in case.....lol.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

Patti, the figures for enlarging you asked about are :
7" x 100%
8" x 1.14%
9" x 1.28%
10" x 1.42%
11" x 1.57%
12" x 1.71%

Does that help?
Old 02-27-2011, 04:42 PM
Power Poster

Yes Lesley...it helps a lot! Thanks!

Candi...I'm not sure I'm going to do them either. It will take alot of time, but I'll let ya' know if I do.