Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 02-23-2011, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b
I just have them in a bowl of hot water and swishing them around - would a color catcher help lock in the color ? Not sure if Dad will use the mixing bowl again :roll: LOL
Sharon. I would wash them in Retayne...a color fixative. Many quilt shops have it and many online stores including JoAnns(online only) and Amazon. I also noticed that the batiks that you won't think would bleed end up being the ones that bleed, go figure. The color catcher won't lock the color, it would just absorb the extra dye from the water to prevent it from getting on other things in the wash...I have only used it when washing finished quilts, not fabrics...could be wrong though.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
Patti in answer to your question, the beauty of this is you don´t have to quilt in the ditch because you have already done your quilting. As long as you remember to quilt no further than your 1/2" marker you first put on the squares. You need that little bit of flexibility when you turn it over to seam your 1/4" blocks together.

Glad you got the hang of the QAYG Tute
There is another twist to QAYG if you are going to machine your applique. Layer your block, background, batting, backing, and THEN machine the applique. Advantages: no stabilser needed as batting and backing are quite sufficient, and no outline quilting of all your applique pieces will be needed.
Drawbacks, all your zig zag shows on the back (but might be lessened if you use matching colour (to your background).

Something to consider and try out on scraps before we start.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

Oh heck Sharon! I hate when that happens, but thank goodness you are pre-washing! Just think of the horror! Use the stuff that Candi recommended. As for the bowl...mix a solution of bleach/water-fairly strong and fill the bowl. Let it soak overnight. That might help clean that up.

Lesley, there would be advantages to that. Someone who is much better than me would have to do it that way. My satin stitches don't look near good enough!

On another note, I got the new Connecting Threads catalog yesterday. In the back, in the section of books...there are several small pics of applique quilts (along the lines of AOTH) and a couple are done on a dark blue background. They look fabulous! You mind changers need to go check them out!

Kathy...I love Alb., the last time we were there, I wanted to go up Sandia and eat dinner at the restaurant. DH kinda did, but kinda didn't as he was tired from driving all day. He agreed to be a good sport and go, so we were getting ready to leave and of course...I got deathly ill- altitude sickness...he caought a "break" that time and was happy. Said he didn't want to be the bad guy, not happy I was sick, but happy he didn't have to go to Sandia. What a great guy, huh??? LOL!!
Old 02-23-2011, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by candi
We loved visiting Taos too....ah, NM is truly the Land Of Enchantment!
OK, you haven't been to Hobbs, have you? I think yuou'll find that Enchantment actually refers to the northern part of the state with a little bit saved back for the south-central mountains of Cloudcroft & Ruidoso. Hobbs lies in the armpit of Texas - the SE corner of NM. The Llano Estacado is the most featureless spot in America - according to Winkipedia. I believe it! Take Western Kansas, remove all productive vegetation, leave Dorothy & Toto there, bring the Wicked Witch and move it all south 500 miles. :-)
Old 02-23-2011, 06:11 AM

Roxanne, Happy Birthday!!!!!
Old 02-23-2011, 06:11 AM

Lesley,
Even though I am not doing the satin stitch, I could probably quilt the same time I do my invisible stitch, my only concern about that is the embroidery...the knots would be visible unless embroidery is done before the pattern is stitched down/quilted. Any thoughts on that?

BTW, I did try to do it one time with a small appliqué doll quilt....I had to be really careful with my starting and ending appliqué stitches because they show on the back!

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
Patti in answer to your question, the beauty of this is you don´t have to quilt in the ditch because you have already done your quilting. As long as you remember to quilt no further than your 1/2" marker you first put on the squares. You need that little bit of flexibility when you turn it over to seam your 1/4" blocks together.

Glad you got the hang of the QAYG Tute
There is another twist to QAYG if you are going to machine your applique. Layer your block, background, batting, backing, and THEN machine the applique. Advantages: no stabilser needed as batting and backing are quite sufficient, and no outline quilting of all your applique pieces will be needed.
Drawbacks, all your zig zag shows on the back (but might be lessened if you use matching colour (to your background).

Something to consider and try out on scraps before we start.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:14 AM

Pat, thanks for the CT tip.

Re Sandia, were you trying to ride the tram up and got altitude sickness? How nice of your hubby:)

Originally Posted by sandpat
Oh heck Sharon! I hate when that happens, but thank goodness you are pre-washing! Just think of the horror! Use the stuff that Candi recommended. As for the bowl...mix a solution of bleach/water-fairly strong and fill the bowl. Let it soak overnight. That might help clean that up.

Lesley, there would be advantages to that. Someone who is much better than me would have to do it that way. My satin stitches don't look near good enough!

On another note, I got the new Connecting Threads catalog yesterday. In the back, in the section of books...there are several small pics of applique quilts (along the lines of AOTH) and a couple are done on a dark blue background. They look fabulous! You mind changers need to go check them out!

Kathy...I love Alb., the last time we were there, I wanted to go up Sandia and eat dinner at the restaurant. DH kinda did, but kinda didn't as he was tired from driving all day. He agreed to be a good sport and go, so we were getting ready to leave and of course...I got deathly ill- altitude sickness...he caought a "break" that time and was happy. Said he didn't want to be the bad guy, not happy I was sick, but happy he didn't have to go to Sandia. What a great guy, huh??? LOL!!
Old 02-23-2011, 06:18 AM
Power Poster

Yea Candi...we were in the tram line! I think the poor guy thought the gods were smiling on him!...really close call for him!
Old 02-23-2011, 06:19 AM

Kathy, now I have to go visit Hobbs... Never been...would love to go... we've actually driven through most of our beautiful country..I can think of many boring drives in some featureless spaces,lol..but we always find something to marvel at...I think we drove across country more than seven or eight times, we are just a bit obsessed, lol...we have a plan to visit all the National Park (have quite a bit left)...and all the states..my husband is only missing 3...I am missing 6...but who is counting???? LOL.

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
Originally Posted by candi
We loved visiting Taos too....ah, NM is truly the Land Of Enchantment!
OK, you haven't been to Hobbs, have you? I think yuou'll find that Enchantment actually refers to the northern part of the state with a little bit saved back for the south-central mountains of Cloudcroft & Ruidoso. Hobbs lies in the armpit of Texas - the SE corner of NM. The Llano Estacado is the most featureless spot in America - according to Winkipedia. I believe it! Take Western Kansas, remove all productive vegetation, leave Dorothy & Toto there, bring the Wicked Witch and move it all south 500 miles. :-)
Old 02-23-2011, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Yea Candi...we were in the tram line! I think the poor guy thought the gods were smiling on him!...really close call for him!
:mrgreen: :lol: