Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 02-06-2011, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by crochetetc
Ok I am in, we started this as a BOM at a LQS and the shop closed so mine never got finished just tucked away. I know I won't complete a block a week but will try to keep up. My goal is to complete it by the end of the year. So far I think I have 10 blocks done. I am doing mine in 2 color ways 1 on black background and the other a light grey with only batiks.
Crochetetc, could you post a picture? I am thinking on joining. I have black Kona for the background, I like quilt in baticks but I would need to buy them; not sure if I want to do that. I'd like to see your version with two colors
Thanks!!
Old 02-06-2011, 09:51 AM

I just ordered kona black from the Missouri Star Co. off their Quilters Daily Deal. I buy from them often and I love their fabric. I bought 3 yards, I don't know how much we need, I hope that is enough. Oh. I paid $2.95 per yard.
I am so glad that we don't start till May. I have so many things to do, I am trying to not get stressed out. As I said before, it has been 10+ years since I have appliqued, as someone else stated here, it was done by hand. I don't know how to machine applique but I have a couple books on the subject, hopeful I can learn.
Is anybody keeping track of everybody's names? I am really terrible remembering names so I think that is what I will do when I have time. (Whats that!)
Have a good Sunday everybody.
Phyllis
Old 02-06-2011, 09:54 AM

Lesley those are beautiful blocks.

Kathy i like the schedule the way it is. i will give me a challange.

i have also decided to use kona black as my background.

here is a picture of the fabric that DH helped me pick for the first block. (yes i am already choosing my fabriic from my stash) i am hoping to get all of them printed out and colors selected before we start.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-95938.jpe  
Old 02-06-2011, 09:56 AM

hi Phyllis. Kathy (quiltswithconvicts) has stated a master list of names and board names i think.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:58 AM

Lesley, your blocks are gorgeous! This is going to be one beautiful quilt, love your embroidery, wow! Great job. But I am thinking you are going to be done before June gets here, :lol:

Re making up our minds, lol, I need to get the book before I can do that for certain, and since we are not officially starting until June, I want ot take my time to think on this, this will probably be the most work I put into a quilt, so I want to do something pleasing, lol. That being said, my mind is made up about doing the invisible machine appliqué on these now that i've seen your blocks, I should be able to pull that off. My mind is also made about using fall colors, although exact fabrics are still to be determined, and my mind is made up about enlarging the blocks to 10". Other than that, it'll be decisions made as I go. Especially about the embroidery, I am not sure I can pull that off, but we'll see.

Ok, I am going to the quilt shops with open ,mind today to get inspired about fabrics for this quilt :P
Old 02-06-2011, 10:42 AM

I am really thinking about joining; I will probably order the book and decide then. One block a week seems very hard for me. I know that if I do it on the machine I could do it as it goes very fast but for quite some time I wanted to do some hand applique so I spend more time with DH while he watches TV. I think this is a beautifull opportunity.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by candi
Lesley, your blocks are gorgeous! This is going to be one beautiful quilt, love your embroidery, wow! Great job. But I am thinking you are going to be done before June gets here, :lol:

Re making up our minds, lol, I need to get the book before I can do that for certain, and since we are not officially starting until June, I want ot take my time to think on this, this will probably be the most work I put into a quilt, so I want to do something pleasing, lol. That being said, my mind is made up about doing the invisible machine appliqué on these now that i've seen your blocks, I should be able to pull that off. My mind is also made about using fall colors, although exact fabrics are still to be determined, and my mind is made up about enlarging the blocks to 10". Other than that, it'll be decisions made as I go. Especially about the embroidery, I am not sure I can pull that off, but we'll see.

Ok, I am going to the quilt shops with open ,mind today to get inspired about fabrics for this quilt :P
Give me a little while Candi, and I will try to start a picture thread on techniques, so you can either firm up your decisions, or try one of the other techniques if you are feeling brave. that will give you, and everyone else a nice lot of time to practice before starting. I'll 'talk' to Kathy and tell her my ideas and see what she says.

I love the fabrics, Debbie - especially that paisley one, which has always been a favourite of mine, as I once got near to purchasing a Victorian paisly shawl. Sadly I was outbid, so it wasn't to be.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:41 AM

The mind is made up. There wasn't a stampede of people wanting to have a schedule of easier to more difficult, so I'm going to abandon that idea.

I wasn't going to change the master schedule, just work up one for those who wanted to start out easier. Our first 2 blocks are "Beginner" level, followed by an "Advance" level one.

I didn't see any block that was "Impossible." :) As Elle pointed out, after our Dear Jane blocks, these are gonna be a piece o' cake!!! The largest number of pieces is Block #22 with 44 pieces. Shoot, one of the kites of DJ had 75 pieces & I don't think the square inches of the kite equals the square inches of a 7" AOTH block.

About the only place that will be tricky is where there are some of those long, pointy ends. For those doing needle turn - tricky to get the seam allowances hidden & still have a nice sharp point. For the machine appliquers, it's working the zig zag (or buttonhole) stitch down to next to nothing at the end & back up again.

Lesley, I want you to do whatever you are comfortable doing, whenever you want to do it. I love having you on my right hand, with Patti on my left and Elle on my other left! :)

Well, I'm off to get more water & the Sunday paper. An article about my quilt program is on the front page, above the fold!!! They did it as a follow-up to the magazine article. I wish I could send you a link to it, but this blasted paper only lets you see the front page if you're a paid subscriber. Even their archives are locked! I have it downloaded to our puter, but since it's copyrighted, I can't even send that to you. Drat & double drat! :thumbdown:
Old 02-06-2011, 01:10 PM
Power Poster

"Lesley, I want you to do whatever you are comfortable doing, whenever you want to do it. I love having you on my right hand, with Patti on my left and Elle on my other left!

Well, I'm off to get more water & the Sunday paper. An article about my quilt program is on the front page, above the fold!!! They did it as a follow-up to the magazine article. I wish I could send you a link to it, but this blasted paper only lets you see the front page if you're a paid subscriber. Even their archives are locked! I have it downloaded to our puter, but since it's copyrighted, I can't even send that to you. Drat & double drat! "

OK, Kathy, will do. My mind boggles with you having one right hand, and two left - no wonder you get a lot of quilting done!

I agree about the paper - if it's just a Sunday paper, might it be possible to approach them when the next issue comes out, in other words, when they aren't likely to sell any more of the current issue, and ask if you could have permission to send that one article to a ... ahem... few friends?
Old 02-06-2011, 01:29 PM

Kathy, I hope your water issue gets strAightened soon.

Lesley, as much as I'd love to say that I am going to try hand appliqué, I don't think I'll follow through with this one, however, I am seriously thinking about embellishing with hand embroidery, so will be patiently awaiting your demonstrations and assignments :mrgreen: although I must say, I am--as I tell my husband-- booked until mid March with projects that need to be finished...I don't know how you all(as in many quilters) have so many WIPs, it's the first time I have a few of those going at the same time, and it is sort of stressing me out, lol. I need to finish stuff to get the sense of satisfaction, and I feel more productive working on one big and one small project at the same time only, I admire you all for being multi-taskers :mrgreen:

Ok, a side report on my shopping trip today, I mainly went for backing for two quilts and got that, found a couple of fabrics that I couldn't live without and got that, looked and looked for inspiration on a fall colored AOTH, and can't see I got much...I saw one nice toner of dark green-almost olive-and thought could possibly work, but it didn't call my name loud enough. I need to study the book when it gets here, and maybe find a few shades for my appliques and maybe that will help me find my background fabric.