Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 23 of 170 FirstFirst ... 13 22 23 24 33 73 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Naomi, your quilt is beautiful!

Linda Ann, I LOVE that bright "blue appearing" fabric! I would love to know what line it is from. I "collect" brights!

Naomi, your quilt is just gorgeous! I've had to go back a couple of times to soak in all your detail and the colors. Wow. Makes me want to get started.

Went to an LQS a block away from my work today and bought several batik fat quarters. Now all I need is for my background fabric to get here. Last night I pulled out scraps for my practice pieces, and I noticed there was a bit of a problem with loose threads and fraying. Hence, the batiks that I bought today.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky
    Naomi, your quilt is just gorgeous! I've had to go back a couple of times to soak in all your detail and the colors. Wow. Makes me want to get started.

Went to an LQS a block away from my work today and bought several batik fat quarters. Now all I need is for my background fabric to get here. Last night I pulled out scraps for my practice pieces, and I noticed there was a bit of a problem with loose threads and fraying. Hence, the batiks that I bought today.
    So, Ducky, you are going for the chocolate look - brights will look good on that too - re scraps, I have just used an ordinary cotton fabric print on one of mine, because I didn't have any batik that I thought would do the job as well, but I can see how some might fray. Of course there is always the possibilty of using something like Fray Check to deal with that

Thanks Naomi, for joining us - I know that Kathy is keeping a list of board names, and actual names of those who have said they might join us. I am trying to do the same, but I admit to being somewhat dyslexic with names, so I hope people will forgive me if I goof.

Blog Entries
    Sharon~so sweet to have company in enjoying brights. I will try to get the name of it for you. I know exactly where to get more of it. Believe me, it really is prettier than my camera picked up.

Ok, this might not sound like I am a team player but keep in mind that Naomi said something to the effect that she just had to put her own twist on things (paraphrase mine). I am planning to make all of the blocks along with y'all however, in the end I will put my own spin on it. Hubby and I will pick out a few blocks that we like the most and design our own lay out of repeat blocks and a center for it. I can use the left over blocks for pillows, gifts and such. I will gain the fun of putting a quilt together that both my Sweetheart and I love and also learning each and ever technique and mastering new skills (I hope, lol).

Lesley, you said that you use two threads of DMC (which I have TONS of) for the embroidery part. Do you only use one strand for the applique? My practice piece was done using two threads and it looks odd.

For some reason, my hand sewing isn't as good as it was last night. Maybe I'm tired.

Nevermind about my single thread question. I just answered it myself. One thread looks so much better!

Once I get my stitches down pat, I need to work on placement technique.

i have some stabilizer that is 8 1/2 x 11 sheets with a "sticky" side and a non...i am using that to print my template on and then stick it on my block. That way I not only know where to put my fabric (applique pieces) but I have the lines for doing the stitching....no tracing involved. This stabilizer is dissolvable when washed...first time i have used it.We will see how it goes.

Gosh, with all the practice going on I'm really going to be behind. I'm trying feverishly to finish an 85 x 85 Hawaiian Star and still have to assemble and quilt a Funky Chicken quilt for DBIL in time for a festival in May. I guess I will come to the AOTH party pretty green...but filing away all your tips for my use in getting going. Thanks everyone for doing the legwork up front.

And here's a dumb one---I'm not familiar with stabilizer. Is this the same thing as the iron on fleece and stuff used for appliques?

Blog Entries
    good idea. I did all my transfers with dressmakers carbon. This seems much easier. Does it add much bulk to stitch through, or gum up a needle?

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi, Roxanne,

Stabilizer is a thin, non-woven material that most usually is made by Sulky. It can have a sticky side or not. There are several kinds such as tear-away or wash-away and several different weights. I don't normally use stabilizer for applique, but if you feel more comfortable using it, by all means use it.

Don't worry about being "green" or behind. This project isn't supposed to start until June 5, but we have quite a few ladies who have formed the "Jump the Gun" Club. :-) That's OK. I will be working right along with all of you once the sew-along begins.

Many participants will be contributing their vast knowledge of applique techniques as we work through this quilt. I would like to be working on AOTH, too, but I have a very full plate right now & need to get the commitments out of the way. Then I can settle down and concentrate on the Affair. For now, however, I have to be content with stroking my batiks.

Blog Entries
    Lesley, you said that you use two threads of DMC (which I have TONS of) for the embroidery part. Do you only use one strand for the applique? My practice piece was done using two threads and it looks odd.

For some reason, my hand sewing isn't as good as it was last night. Maybe I'm tired.
    Ducky, no, I don't do the applique with the stranded at all, I use regular machine sewing thread. Cotton if I have it, or poly cotton, whichever is the best colour match.

Well said LindaAnn, it does seem as though there are several jumpingthe gun, but we are truly just trying out the technique we haven´t ever done before and seeing how it goes.

I will be poodling along with the rest of yáll when June comes believe me. I have a DJ to finish yet.

Elle

Blog Entries
    Elle, you are so sweet. :-D

It's 5am in my town. I am up probably because the full moon spread too much light into my bedroom. After being on the board for a 'while', I am winding down and need to quietly sneak back into bed for a few more winks of shut-eye!

Have a great day. Catch everyone later... :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady

Ducky, no, I don't do the applique with the stranded at all, I use regular machine sewing thread. Cotton if I have it, or poly cotton, whichever is the best colour match.
    Ohhhhhhh. See? I've already learned a lot in the few days I've been practicing.

"Poodling"? I love it! I need to start saying that. Anyway, I need to put this AOTH practice stuff aside and finish lap quilts for BIL and DH. I was going to have them done when they had their surgeries -- in January -- but, guess what?

Ducky I have hundred of words I can trade with y´all lol.

Like Lesley I use just ordinary machine cotton as well. Think you will find it easier to work with and another trick I learned only use short strands at a time

Elle

[
    Ducky, no, I don't do the applique with the stranded at all, I use regular machine sewing thread. Cotton if I have it, or poly cotton, whichever is the best colour match.[/quote]

Another thing I just learned...I was afraid I was going to have to run out and buy special thread to do the embroidery and wasn't looking forward to breaking my 2011 committment to use up my stash and no new purchases except when absolutely necessary. And so far so good. But, I will have to buy background fabric for the AOTH as hubby is insisting that I do it "Just" like the picture!

Well, good thing Joanns is having a presidents sale this weekend and offering an additional 10% off my entire purchase.
    And I need another ruler, and ........LOL

Oh Roxanne, you have the perfect excuse you know. Go for it and you don´t need to feel guilty either.

Sorry you are not sleeping well LindaAnn. The other evening I didn´t either but it was a howling gale that woke me up and I couldn´t get back to sleep till it died down. We have those terrible winds here, usually we have a really nice warm day and then a cold night, I suppose thats the cause of it Elle

Quote Originally Posted by Roxanne
    [
    Another thing I just learned...I was afraid I was going to have to run out and buy special thread to do the embroidery and wasn't looking forward to breaking my 2011 committment to use up my stash and no new purchases except when absolutely necessary. And so far so good. But, I will have to buy background fabric for the AOTH as hubby is insisting that I do it "Just" like the picture!

Well, good thing Joanns is having a presidents sale this weekend and offering an additional 10% off my entire purchase.
    And I need another ruler, and ........LOL[/quote]

is it great when we can go and buy some more fabric and we have the husbands backing us?

Hi, everyone! I'm joining in on this one. My name is Amy and I live in Alabama. I was so (pleasantly)surprised to see this quilt being done for a BOM. A few years back I joined a BOM using this one from some quilt shop online....we were doing 3 blocks/month. You had to commit to buying the stuff for the whole quilt to do this (credit card was being billed whether you did the blocks or not!)so....I may I have 2 blocks done (possibly only one, now that I think of it....), but I have ALL the stuff to complete it!!!! So...count me in! A UFO that will be - NO MORE a UFO!! I'm excited. I think the Hubby will be, too! *vbg*

Oh yeah, and my blocks will be on a black background, original size, bright batiks. Hand, needle-turn appliqued, hand embroidered. What was I thinking??

Quote Originally Posted by aemrivera
    Hi, everyone! I'm joining in on this one. My name is Amy and I live in Alabama. I was so (pleasantly)surprised to see this quilt being done for a BOM. A few years back I joined a BOM using this one from some quilt shop online....we were doing 3 blocks/month. You had to commit to buying the stuff for the whole quilt to do this (credit card was being billed whether you did the blocks or not!)so....I may I have 2 blocks done (possibly only one, now that I think of it....), but I have ALL the stuff to complete it!!!! So...count me in! A UFO that will be - NO MORE a UFO!! I'm excited. I think the Hubby will be, too! *vbg*

me too...a way to get rid of a UFO..welcome

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Welcome, Amy! Glad to have you with us. So far we number 44, & we still have a few months before we really get going - EXCEPT for the "Jump the Gun Club" :-) Can you tell I am a bit jealous of them as they have dipped their toes into the water & I haven't? I've just got too much on my plate right now, but come the 3rd Saturday in March, I will be free of all obligations (unless the Warden finds something to commit me to doing!)

What I like about doing it this way is we are getting to know each other so we will really have a ball when we all find that we are having trouble with a praticular piece or whatever. We have several ladies who are going to be tutors for us and make very detailed tutes ('puter-speak for tutorials) of how they dealt with that specific issue. You will come to love all of these ladies (we don't have any guys - YET.)

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
    Welcome, Amy! Glad to have you with us. So far we number 44, & we still have a few months before we really get going - EXCEPT for the "Jump the Gun Club" :-) Can you tell I am a bit jealous of them as they have dipped their toes into the water & I haven't? I've just got too much on my plate right now, but come the 3rd Saturday in March, I will be free of all obligations (unless the Warden finds something to commit me to doing!)

What I like about doing it this way is we are getting to know each other so we will really have a ball when we all find that we are having trouble with a praticular piece or whatever. We have several ladies who are going to be tutors for us and make very detailed tutes ('puter-speak for tutorials) of how they dealt with that specific issue. You will come to love all of these ladies (we don't have any guys - YET.)
    Thanks for the welcomes!

The one thing I DO remember about this one, was that a bunch of us got hung up on the first block. Everyone said they got better after that. Seems I DID do another one, because I agreed wholeheartedly with that! Now I have to dig out the stuff for this...Very excited.

Amy, welcome.. there is a lot of talent here that will keep you motivated to finish that UFO.

OK, I just finished the top for the queen Bargello I started in January and am discovering that I am not too fond of working on big quilts..it was my first queen size, and a few weeks back, I also did a full size mystery quilt, I am burnt out from working on these big quilts, lol. I NEED to just finish a couple of small things to get re-energized :mrgreen: And that is a big reason why I am looking forward to joining this group, hopefully, doing it one block a week with this wonderful group would keep it in the "I am loving it" category and not the "Man, I can't wait to get this finished" one,lol. Well to be fair, I did enjoy working on the bargello but I was getting burnt out at the end and just HAD to finish the top and see how it turns out,couldn't stop,lol.

BTW, I should share that I am very excited, I found a place that rents out longarm for personal use, and will be checking it out to take a class the end of the month and then hopefully get the queen and full size tops that are staring at me quilted. :thumbup:

Page 23 of 170 FirstFirst ... 13 22 23 24 33 73 123 ... LastLast