Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 02-22-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
Lesley, I confess to having gone on a shopping trip and buying MORE batiks! Picked up some other goodies, too.

I'm in Albuquerque now, waiting to go get DH from his meeting. Also hit Harbor Freight - they had tons of blade packages - I only bought 8, left a load for others! I put one of those blades in my cutter back in November and am still using it. Will change it when we get home - left cutter at home - brought AOTH with me to do something - like maybe iron fome of the shapes I've cut out onto the batiks. I brought all of them with me!
Kathy, I am so jealous, I LOVE Albuquerque! Well, New Mexico in general.

Well, I looked at my little stash to get inspiration for the AOTH quilt, and all of sudden a golden background looks good to me! How many times can I change my mind before June? LOL. As long as I am not buying big yardage, I think we are OK :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :thumbup:
Old 02-22-2011, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by candi
Lesley, I confess to having gone on a shopping trip and buying MORE batiks! Picked up some other goodies, too.

I'm in Albuquerque now, waiting to go get DH from his meeting. Also hit Harbor Freight - they had tons of blade packages - I only bought 8, left a load for others! I put one of those blades in my cutter back in November and am still using it. Will change it when we get home - left cutter at home - brought AOTH with me to do something - like maybe iron fome of the shapes I've cut out onto the batiks. I brought all of them with me!
Kathy, I am so jealous, I LOVE Albuquerque! Well, New Mexico in general.

Well, I looked at my little stash to get inspiration for the AOTH quilt, and all of sudden a golden background looks good to me! How many times can I change my mind before June? LOL. As long as I am not buying big yardage, I think we are OK :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :thumbup:
Perhaps you and I could have a contest on who can change their minds the most. :mrgreen:
Old 02-22-2011, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Ducky

Perhaps you and I could have a contest on who can change their minds the most. :mrgreen:
We are on ! But I'll be rooting for you though
:mrgreen: :thumbup: in all seriousness, I just need the fabric to speak to me...not hearing a beep yet!
Old 02-22-2011, 07:12 PM

Blades are just regular blades, 2 blades for $1.49 - $.75 each. Can't go wrong. Cost me $12.75 for 8 packs of 2 blades each.I've lost count of how many quilts I've cut out with that one blade.

I really don't like Alb. The traffic is horrendous! We lived in Milwaukee & the traffic wasn't anything like it is here. In Hobbs, the natives complain about "rush hour" traffic - they don't have a clue what that is.

Everything I do here is on Menaul, except drop DH off at his meeting & pick him up. It's around the corner up 2 exits on I25. I just take the frontage road and 1 left across I25 and a left onto the other frontage road. The state has several compounds down that road - one that resembles a prison with the razor wire all around it. I think it's an adult treatment center, so I am figuring they're violent, else why the prison-like setting.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:32 PM

Kathy, it is funny, but I don't even notice the traffic and hustle in Alb. Lol. I think I know that compound you speak off. When we were theorem we stayed near Rio Rancho and worked at Lovelace MC downtown...can't beat having the city and the outdoors right at your fingertips, I still have the fondest memories of hiking Sandia Peak, and eating at the restaurant up there.

We loved visiting Taos too....ah, NM is truly the Land Of Enchantment!

Blades are just regular blades, 2 blades for $1.49 - $.75 each. Can't go wrong. Cost me $12.75 for 8 packs of 2 blades each.I've lost count of how many quilts I've cut out with that one blade.

I really don't like Alb. The traffic is horrendous! We lived in Milwaukee & the traffic wasn't anything like it is here. In Hobbs, the natives complain about "rush hour" traffic - they don't have a clue what that is.

Everything I do here is on Menaul, except drop DH off at his meeting & pick him up. It's around the corner up 2 exits on I25. I just take the frontage road and 1 left across I25 and a left onto the other frontage road. The state has several compounds down that road - one that resembles a prison with the razor wire all around it. I think it's an adult treatment center, so I am figuring they're violent, else why the prison-like setting.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:39 PM
Power Poster

HELP !!!!! I was presoaking the batiks one at a time and the reds and pinks were coming along ok- went to do the blue/ aqua and OMG it bled - and is still bleeding :shock: Turned my parents white bowl blue :? Any suggestions ?

Thanks for the compliments on the colors I loved the bright colors - LOL and had fun picking them out :lol:
Old 02-22-2011, 08:00 PM

I hear the bright yellows and oranges will bleed, too. Guess what I have??? Did you use a color catcher?
Old 02-22-2011, 10:40 PM
Power Poster

I just have them in a bowl of hot water and swishing them around - would a color catcher help lock in the color ? Not sure if Dad will use the mixing bowl again :roll: LOL
Old 02-22-2011, 11:24 PM

Patti in answer to your question, the beauty of this is you don´t have to quilt in the ditch because you have already done your quilting. As long as you remember to quilt no further than your 1/2" marker you first put on the squares. You need that little bit of flexibility when you turn it over to seam your 1/4" blocks together.

Glad you got the hang of the QAYG Tute
Old 02-23-2011, 01:12 AM

Ducky had a thought, how about adding coarse salt to that last wash, thats what they use with dyes when you actually dye something supposed to lock the colour. I don´t know perhaps worth a try.

Elle